Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Mudflap Fit
Tully

RE: Mudflap Fit

(06-01-2012 05:25pm)vinda Wrote:  Got mine fitted today. Dynamic. The back were ok. One side better than other. Fronts awful! Got them to re do. And one fronts perfect. Waiting for one side of the back to be ordered. We're defo the correct flaps. Just bad fitter or bad part!?

Did u use stratstone Solihull?
06-01-2012 07:47pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

I'm afraid it's a bodger's paradise, especially as LR seem to think it takes only 12 minutes a side which will encourage all sorts of short cuts. The video doing the rounds is just one such.

It's an open question whether to remove the wheels to gain access. My inclination is to do so.

I'm hoping to fit mine this weekend, so will report back any hints and tips.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
06-01-2012 09:43pm
vinda

(06-01-2012 07:47pm)Tully Wrote:  Did u use stratstone Solihull?

Nope. Guy salmon. Coventry
06-01-2012 11:34pm
mark_n

OK, bit later than I expected and I'm fitting the front mudguards today. Yes, I am using the correct ones.

Some initial comments and for those who have already fitted theirs, I will be interested in your experiences.

First, the first step says remove two screws and throw them away but they are identical to the ones supplied in the kit.

Second, it's clear the horizontal position of the bottom fixing is critical in getting the mud guard to sit tight against the bodywork where it wraps around the wheel arch at the top. It seems a good idea to pull the bottom out slightly to get the top to sit tight and mark the hole from there. If you just let it sit, there will be a big gap at the top which is what I referred to in the opening post of this thread.

Third, there's a clamp which fits between the top and middle fixing screws but I cannot see how it can possibly fit - this is parts D and E in the instructions. Has anyone used these? It may be there were some design changes to the car, use of the same fixing screws and so on and the mudguard kit never caught up.

I can see that letting the dealer fit them is asking for trouble, they are not straight-forward if you want a good fit. Any comments welcome!

Mark

30-01-2012 02:28pm
Daigriff

Got my dealer to fit them for me as I am crap at diy. Surprisingly pleased with the results. No gaps and are flush. I'm particularly fussy so praise where It's due.

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
30-01-2012 03:42pm
Tony

(30-01-2012 02:28pm)mark_n Wrote:  OK, bit later than I expected and I'm fitting the front mudguards today. Yes, I am using the correct ones.

Some initial comments and for those who have already fitted theirs, I will be interested in your experiences.

First, the first step says remove two screws and throw them away but they are identical to the ones supplied in the kit.

Second, it's clear the horizontal position of the bottom fixing is critical in getting the mud guard to sit tight against the bodywork where it wraps around the wheel arch at the top. It seems a good idea to pull the bottom out slightly to get the top to sit tight and mark the hole from there. If you just let it sit, there will be a big gap at the top which is what I referred to in the opening post of this thread.

Third, there's a clamp which fits between the top and middle fixing screws but I cannot see how it can possibly fit - this is parts D and E in the instructions. Has anyone used these? It may be there were some design changes to the car, use of the same fixing screws and so on and the mudguard kit never caught up.

I can see that letting the dealer fit them is asking for trouble, they are not straight-forward if you want a good fit. Any comments welcome!

Front Mud flaps - I think the screws supplied are to replace the originals if they are rusted, I used the originals and put the others in my spares box. The clamps help pull the trailing edge of the mud flap into the body, they are difficult to get started, you need strong fingers. My fronts fitted perfect first time but the rears were a pain, poor instructions. The OS rear took me over an hour but once I had figured out the proceedure the NS took about 15 minutes. I had to cut off the plastic rivit/screws as they would not un screw, replaced them with some better quality ones from the spares box. Drilling the holes correctly is critical to getting the flaps to sit flush against the body.

I will try and post some photos later in the week, cannot do it tommorrow as I am back to the dealer to hopefully have the non specified headliner rattle package removed! 5am start and a 250 mile round trip to get a rattle sorted Mad I hate cars that rattle.

Tony

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
30-01-2012 03:49pm
mark_n

Thanks Tony, what I couldn't work out was where the curved part of the spring clip was meant to go without forcing the mudflap forwards or the wheelarch liner back. In the end, I hammered the curved part flat to allow it to slip behind the mudflap and used a mole-wrench to squash the ends together.

I don't think it's the greatest piece of design but have no experience of how good (or bad) other manufacturers are.

Mark

(This post was last modified: 30-01-2012 06:28pm by mark_n.)
30-01-2012 06:28pm