Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Keyless Entry Security Alert
marky9074

RE: Keyless Entry Security Alert

(21-10-2011 10:40pm)Alex Wrote:  This article actually originates from the "Network and distributed system security symposium 2011" in which they demonstrated the that thiefs could steel cars by this method, but it's not yet a common approach to your average car thief who is simply looking for a quick and easy opportunity.

As the article suggests it would take a very determined thief armed with the right technology and the ability to manipulate it correctly to snatch a keycode from the air and use it to enter a vehicle.

However, the complexity and length of time involved in that process means your typical thief can't simply grab a code in a parking lot and open up the corresponding car within a minute or two - there are easier ways to steal cars.

If your worried you can just shield your key, however I don't think it's something to loose any sleep over.

These are good points.. you just need a sleeve over the fob for once you leave the car (to block the signal)...

[Image: signature.jpg]
Alfa Romeo Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde
TTRS Roadster | Suzuka Grey | RS Buckets | 9Jx19, '5-arm rotor' titaniums | Adapative Zenons | Mirrors | Bose | Parking | MFSW | Cruise | Nav Plus | Phone prep | Changer
22-10-2011 11:58am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blackseries

RE: Keyless Entry Security Alert

This was an option I ummed and erred over as I’ve had keyless entry / go in a couple of cars and not really used it that much .... I think mainly because they had traditional keys as well. Plus I thought £500 when the bulk of the system is already in place for the keyless start was a bit of a rip off .... so I decided against it. Feeling a bit more comfortable about my decision now ... however I think we must all get this “threat” into some sort of perspective ...... somebody really has to be determined to set up an operation like this and in reality its probably a lot easier just to nick the keys if they really want your car.

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
22-10-2011 12:34pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply