Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Key Fobs Stopped Working
RangeRobere

Key Fobs Stopped Working

Hello all,

Yesterday when I went to start my 2016 RRE HSE Dynamic, I found I couldn't unlock the doors remotely. When I went up to the car to try the doors, the car wouldn't unlock. I quickly found that the keyless entry system wouldn't recognize either remote. Needless to say I had to use the manual key and set the alarm off to get in.

Is it possible for me to re-sync or re-program the key fobs on my own? Has this randomly happened to anyone else?

Thanks in advance for any help!
-Robere
18-04-2016 06:58pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Steve D

RE: Key Fobs Stopped Working

Disconnect battery, wait a few minutes and then reconnect it. That's what got mine sorted until it did it again a few weeks later, then it needed a new KVM. - keyless vehicle module.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 18-04-2016 07:09pm by Steve D.)
18-04-2016 07:07pm
RangeRobere

(18-04-2016 07:07pm)Steve D Wrote:  Disconnect battery, wait a few minutes and then reconnect it. That's what got mine sorted until it did it again a few weeks later, then it needed a new KVM. - keyless vehicle module.

Thank you for the very quick response! Just to confirm - disconnect the car's battery, or take the batteries out of the remotes?

Edit: I tried both options and can confirm that disconnecting the car battery's negative terminal for several minutes fixed this problem. Hopefully no one else has this issue, and I'm glad this prevents a trip to the shop! Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again!
(This post was last modified: 18-04-2016 08:52pm by RangeRobere.)
18-04-2016 07:10pm
Good shot

(18-04-2016 06:58pm)RangeRobere Wrote:  Hello all,

Yesterday when I went to start my 2016 RRE HSE Dynamic, I found I couldn't unlock the doors remotely. When I went up to the car to try the doors, the car wouldn't unlock. I quickly found that the keyless entry system wouldn't recognize either remote. Needless to say I had to use the manual key and set the alarm off to get in.

Is it possible for me to re-sync or re-program the key fobs on my own? Has this randomly happened to anyone else?

Thanks in advance for any help!
-Robere

Take them back to the stealer and shout at them. I've had mine 3 years and both still working.

Last 2013 SD4 Auto, Prestige, Pano, Firenze Red. Loving the USB shuffle.
18-04-2016 08:53pm
RangeRobere

(18-04-2016 08:53pm)Good shot Wrote:  Take them back to the stealer and shout at them. I've had mine 3 years and both still working.

Thanks for the reply! Disconnecting the car battery and cycling the power re-synced the key fobs, so I'm ok for now. I am worried that there is no way to figure out what caused it, and how to prevent it in the future.

I'm really trying hard to solve my own problems without resorting to the dealer out of pride so I don't have to admit to friends and family that the Land Rover stereotype is real Smile
18-04-2016 08:58pm
Steve D

The LandRover technician told me that sometimes the system can become corrupted by having one of the fobs too near to an iPhone either in your pocket or a purse. Do you have an iPhone?

Edit: You can also just remove a fuse and refit it (was fuse number 55 on my model) and this prevents having to reset the electric Windows or retune the radio.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 18-04-2016 09:15pm by Steve D.)
18-04-2016 09:13pm
RangeRobere

(18-04-2016 09:13pm)Steve D Wrote:  The LandRover technician told me that sometimes the system can become corrupted by having one of the fobs too near to an iPhone either in your pocket or a purse. Do you have an iPhone?

Edit: You can also just remove a fuse and refit it (was fuse number 55 on my model) and this prevents having to reset the electric Windows or retune the radio.

I do have two iPhones - personal/work

I try very hard not to have them in the same pocket so my keys don't scratch the phone, but I suppose something like that could have happened. I will try hard to keep them apart in the future and hopefully it won't happen again.

Thanks Steve!
18-04-2016 09:22pm
Good shot

(18-04-2016 08:58pm)RangeRobere Wrote:  Thanks for the reply! Disconnecting the car battery and cycling the power re-synced the key fobs, so I'm ok for now. I am worried that there is no way to figure out what caused it, and how to prevent it in the future.

I'm really trying hard to solve my own problems without resorting to the dealer out of pride so I don't have to admit to friends and family that the Land Rover stereotype is real Smile

Good luck with that approach but if you are paying 40k for a car - the keys need to work reliably!

Last 2013 SD4 Auto, Prestige, Pano, Firenze Red. Loving the USB shuffle.
18-04-2016 11:23pm
jitenc

I don't think iPhone and keys together are an issue. I have mine both in the same pocket of the briefcase for a few years now.
I think it more to the with the vehicle rather than the fob.
Hence, what's the point of having keyless entry.

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
19-04-2016 12:08am
Donny Dog

(18-04-2016 09:22pm)RangeRobere Wrote:  I do have two iPhones - personal/work

I try very hard not to have them in the same pocket so my keys don't scratch the phone, but I suppose something like that could have happened. I will try hard to keep them apart in the future and hopefully it won't happen again.

Thanks Steve!

It happened twice with my wife's car when it was new, and was cured by removing the appropriate fuse (5 amp fuse, #17, fuse box behind glove box, in our case). Interestingly, my wife mislaid the key she normally uses a couple of days ago and changed keys to the spare one, and the same problem then occurred with that key (and was also cured by removing fuse 17). This suggests to me that there is some sort of initial programming problem which the 're-set' cures. Once the first key was re-set in this way, it never happened again in over three years.
20-04-2016 10:24pm