Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
K&N or Pipercross air filter
thelastnat

Both are available for an Evoque, I was wondering which is better?
03-12-2013 04:54am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jeroma

RE: K&N or Pipercross air filter

(03-12-2013 04:54am)thelastnat Wrote:  Both are available for an Evoque, I was wondering which is better?
This are in fact more or less competition air filters and they will have to serviced at regular intervals. A servicing kit is available from the manufacturers.
The filters are not to be used in a dusty environment unless you add an additional protection.

I got the filters on my Classic Sport cars here they are located in a straight line to the intake manifold, on an Evoque they probably make no difference in power, only an increase in engine noise Crying

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
03-12-2013 12:25pm
thelastnat

The reason i asked because i changed my stock to a sport exhaust and planning to do a remap soon. Any recommendations regarding the filters?
03-12-2013 12:28pm
Jeroma

(03-12-2013 12:28pm)thelastnat Wrote:  The reason i asked because i changed my stock to a sport exhaust and planning to do a remap soon. Any recommendations regarding the filters?

For the Evoque my choice would be K&N, very well designed

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
03-12-2013 12:45pm
speary

As these filters are expensive I would first ask, what is the bottleneck in the intake system? Is it the filter of is it the narrow convoluted design of the intake pipes. If the pipes are at maximum flow with a standard filter I doubt a free flow filter would help. Happy to be proved wrong Very Happy

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
04-12-2013 09:41am
bloubul7

Re: RE: K&N or Pipercross air filter

(04-12-2013 09:41am)speary Wrote:  As these filters are expensive I would first ask, what is the bottleneck in the intake system? Is it the filter of is it the narrow convoluted design of the intake pipes. If the pipes are at maximum flow with a standard filter I doubt a free flow filter would help. Happy to be proved wrong Very Happy

My airflow increased with 12g/s with the K&N.
04-12-2013 04:16pm
speary

(04-12-2013 04:16pm)bloubul7 Wrote:  My airflow increased with 12g/s with the K&N.

Is that a lot? I am not familiar with measuring airflow

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
05-12-2013 01:35pm
bloubul7

Re: RE: K&N or Pipercross air filter

(05-12-2013 01:35pm)speary Wrote:  Is that a lot? I am not familiar with measuring airflow

Stock air filter flowed about 160g/s
K&N filter flowed about 172g/s

So the increase is 7.5% which is not bad.
06-12-2013 06:29am
Jeroma

(04-12-2013 09:41am)speary Wrote:  As these filters are expensive I would first ask, what is the bottleneck in the intake system? Is it the filter of is it the narrow convoluted design of the intake pipes. If the pipes are at maximum flow with a standard filter I doubt a free flow filter would help. Happy to be proved wrong Very Happy

Yes K&N are expensive, but you are not supposed to change them. K&N provides a filter cleaning kit consisting of a cleaning fluid and special oil. Contrary to the paper elements in standard filters, the K&N filter uses a purpose designed mesh to allow cleaning.
For dusty areas K&N provides an xtra foam prefilter.
Yes no doubt they allow for higher airflow, Smile

06-12-2013 01:31pm
m_101

However, what effect does that allowance actually have on the engine would be the question, i.e. same deal - where is the bottleneck in the system? Haven't previously looked into this myself!

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
06-12-2013 05:24pm