Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Insurer wants a tracker. Any update on ODBC security issues?
SonicTPA

Insurer wants a tracker. Any update on ODBC security issues?

It's renewal time so I've been doing the annual Insurance quote comparison marathon.

It turns out Direct Line won't insure my Evoque for theft unless I have a tracker installed. I guess it's due to the issues that came to light a while back. I remember Land Rover putting some information out saying that they would do a software update to counteract the problem.

But I think the only thing that actually happened was dealers checking to see how many keys were registered to the car.

So has anything else been done, or is my car just as vulnerable as it was?

Cheers
S
14-07-2016 06:31pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
druand

RE: Insurer wants a tracker. Any update on ODBC security issues?

(14-07-2016 06:31pm)SonicTPA Wrote:  It's renewal time so I've been doing the annual Insurance quote comparison marathon.

It turns out Direct Line won't insure my Evoque for theft unless I have a tracker installed. I guess it's due to the issues that came to light a while back. I remember Land Rover putting some information out saying that they would do a software update to counteract the problem.

But I think the only thing that actually happened was dealers checking to see how many keys were registered to the car.

So has anything else been done, or is my car just as vulnerable as it was?

Cheers
S

I had exactly the same when I changed from Freelander 2 to Evoque. RBS demanded tracker. (Royal Bank of Scotland)
I changed insurance to NFU, No tracker required better terms, new car if write off for 2 yes 2 years and £30 less than premium for FL2.
Current premium £360 per year 2016 Evoque 180 SE Auto new. I am over 70 with max no claims.
(This post was last modified: 14-07-2016 11:01pm by druand.)
14-07-2016 10:55pm
PhilSkill

Yep, Change your insurer, any insurer wanting a tracker doesn't want the business.

Cars were changed to only accept 2 keys, so thieving scum can't program in a 3rd new key, makes it a tiny bit more difficult for them...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
15-07-2016 12:36am
Stadt Panzer

I find it really weird that in the UK insurance compaines want people to have trackers.......none of the German compaines require them to be fitted on cars!

All those cars being stolen in the UK, where do they go? I mean the market has to be bigger for a LHD than a RHD!

Somewhere in the North Sea.
15-07-2016 06:20am