Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Solutions for parking in a narrow garage
IKM

RE: Solutions for parking in a narrow garage

One of the best (or at least most humorous) threads to date! Thanks for the video, absolute cracker.

I separate the clutter at the back of the garage from the area left for parking with length of rolled up carpet underfelt. In the event that I drive too far forward, then at least I have the underfelt as a buffer. I don't mind reversing out of the narrow door opening, it's having to align myself very precisely when going in forward. My wife often looks as if she's directing a plane on a runway when I arrive home. Just need the table tennis bats now!

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
(This post was last modified: 30-08-2012 09:40pm by IKM.)
30-08-2012 08:50pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Griff449

My attempt last month at door protection in the garage lol

[Image: as.jpg]

[Image: asd.jpg]

Had a Pure TD4, Fuji White - now have Dynamic SD4, Fuji White 9 Speed auto with Verve Interior - let the new project begin!
30-08-2012 09:17pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjking

I've just realised that the only walkable space will be between the drivers door and the connecting door to the house, I won't be able to squeeze past the car to open/shut the garage door, so an electric door opener will be essential if I want to park in the garage.

My garage ceiling is high, maybe four feet above the top of the door. I wonder if that will make it difficult to install a motor.
(This post was last modified: 30-08-2012 10:49pm by cjking.)
30-08-2012 10:40pm
Craig_d1

A friend of mine has put the thick rubber carpet underlay over his garage, so if he opens his door, it still won't get damaged by hitting the wall. He's then hung string with corks attached to the end to know how far to goingo the garage. When he hits the cork, he stops
30-08-2012 11:26pm
normangt

Solutions for parking in a narrow garage

When in the car if you come across a narrow area or a ticket machine can you press something inside the car to fold mirrors?
08-09-2012 04:29am
doug

(08-09-2012 04:29am)normangt Wrote:  When in the car if you come across a narrow area or a ticket machine can you press something inside the car to fold mirrors?

Press the two mirror buttons together.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
08-09-2012 06:06am
smayo

I have bolted a piece of 3"x2" to the floor in my garage to tell me when to stop.

Could something similar be done to guide the wheels and ensure a straight entry/exit into the garage?
Only 2 pieces would be required, both on the inside or outsides of the tyres, and as long as the wood is lower than the profile of your tyres, shouldn't cause any problems.

Ordered 17/2/12 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Mauritius Blue, Pan roof, 20" style 6 (gloss black), Vortex, Ebony Headlining, Ent Pack, Heated St. Wheel, Homelink, Pr Glass, Auto Dim r.view mirror, spare wheel
08-09-2012 05:02pm
Parkino

Good News!!!!!

Parkino is now available in the UK - visit http://www.parkino.co.uk for more details.

(29-08-2012 03:01pm)cjking Wrote:  Contemplating buying an Evoque next year, wonder what devices I can find to help me park nose-first with mirrors folded in my single garage, where I will have 2 inches of clearance either side as I pass through the door frame.

Solutions so far:-
1. A laser guide of the kind usually sold for helping people to know when to stop (forward/back positioning) could also help with left-right positioning. Maybe if you had one of the dual ones (designed for double garages) and pointed both beams out through the garage door you would have two chances to get your car centred as you approached.
2. Mirrors on the far wall might be a substitute for the folded mirrors for reversing, but I reckon that will still be too difficult a manoeuvre to perform on a daily basis. Anyone tried this? Let me know if it's workable.
3. Rubber guide rails that would work like railway tracks to ensure car wheels could only follow one path within the garage. Although not designed for this purpose, the Kerbstopper product from hazard.co.uk might be suitable for this.
4. The best solution yet, a product from Italian company Parkino that simply loads your car in and out of the garage for you. Anyone know if this is sold in the UK?

http://www.hazard.co.uk/kerbstopper.html

http://www.parkino.com/indexEN.html

Found a german product that looks similar to Parkino, however the PDF says it won't work for 4WD, so maybe Parkino won't work either?

http://www.woehr.de/en/produkte/einparkhilfe/index.php

The german product also caters for a maximum tyre track width of 185cm, which also rules out the Evoque - I assume it's track width (measured to outsides not centres of tyres) is 1965mm.
30-06-2016 04:59pm
IvorRedOne

Park your car up in the position you prefer it to be in then feed a piece of thin rope with a cork top attached to it from the ceiling and dangle it over just on the windscreen. Align it to the steering column or rear view mirror.
15-07-2016 09:02pm