Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
It's raining Zanzibar
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: It's raining Zanzibar

Finding A/T and M/T tyres in sizes bigger than 18" is difficult, smaller wheels and tyres are preferred for offroad use as the sidewall height offers better protection to the wheels, the ride should be pretty plush on tyres with a higher side wall, but I'm would think that the increased height might make the car roll more onroad and tyre noise will be higher.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
25-09-2014 09:31pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EvoqueSi4

that's correct. main reason for going on 17" were offroad-capabilities. however, they only get a bit fungous/spongy at higher speeds. above, say 160 km/h (100 miles/h) on the autobahn they don't feel as firm/settled as stock 18" do... Below that, steering-response, cornering, smoothness all stay the same to stock 18". I have to say though, i run them on 2,6 bar (37,7 psi) on the road, that's probably also why they feel relatively firm. I thought i could feel a slight delayed or slower acceleration, after we put them on. but that could be illusion. i drove this car only 60 km with the stock tires. On a daily basis, you don't feel those tires, and you can't even hear them with the windows closed.

Suspension: Body roll is now higher and very much noticeable for someone who drove a stock Evoque for almost 3 years. But it's not as bad as it would be with a (lifted) Defender 110, and surely not as dramatic as with a Renault Kangoo or a Citroen 2CV. It just leans slightly more out in fast autobahn bends, and builds up noticeable more on load changes. and the nose dives more in at emergency stops. but we're talking about provoked "extreme-ish" driving maneuvers and - as said - it's not dramatic in any way. i would even say, that only i can tell it's different, because i had a stock Evoque for a long time an therefore i know how stable/rigid the Evoques feels...

The white one wasn't mine, it was just a random Evoque that was parked in the city. I changed after almost 3 years for the Diesel engine and for the 9SpeedAutoBox. After more than 1.000 km with the new car i can tell: that was a wise swap.....
26-09-2014 09:07am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

One thing I would like on the Evoque are the stainless steel skid plates that are offered for RRS2 and also now on the Disco Sport, just adds a bit more protection to the plastic bits.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
26-09-2014 10:31am
EvoqueSi4

yeah, i saw that they're going to offer that on the disco sport. don't know why they don't offer something officially for the evoque.
i've got the ones from rasta, that are also used on the silkway-tour. removed from the white one before it went, and will put them on the new one next week (they need slight work on them, as they fit only 99% on the new car...)
its front, engine, tank and rear-diff protection...
[Image: 206066116-w988-h607.jpg]
[Image: rasta-tank-5057391786929471255.jpg]
[Image: 206066118-w988-h572.jpg]
26-09-2014 01:36pm
GS_Austria

Hi,
your Evoque looks great with that offroad gear!

How did you manage the adjustment of the speedometer?
Did you get the TÜV-approval for this tire/rim/spacer - setup?

(26-09-2014 09:07am)EvoqueSi4 Wrote:  that's correct. main reason for going on 17" were offroad-capabilities. however, they only get a bit fungous/spongy at higher speeds. above, say 160 km/h (100 miles/h) on the autobahn they don't feel as firm/settled as stock 18" do... Below that, steering-response, cornering, smoothness all stay the same to stock 18". I have to say though, i run them on 2,6 bar (37,7 psi) on the road, that's probably also why they feel relatively firm. I thought i could feel a slight delayed or slower acceleration, after we put them on. but that could be illusion. i drove this car only 60 km with the stock tires. On a daily basis, you don't feel those tires, and you can't even hear them with the windows closed.

Suspension: Body roll is now higher and very much noticeable for someone who drove a stock Evoque for almost 3 years. But it's not as bad as it would be with a (lifted) Defender 110, and surely not as dramatic as with a Renault Kangoo or a Citroen 2CV. It just leans slightly more out in fast autobahn bends, and builds up noticeable more on load changes. and the nose dives more in at emergency stops. but we're talking about provoked "extreme-ish" driving maneuvers and - as said - it's not dramatic in any way. i would even say, that only i can tell it's different, because i had a stock Evoque for a long time an therefore i know how stable/rigid the Evoques feels...

The white one wasn't mine, it was just a random Evoque that was parked in the city. I changed after almost 3 years for the Diesel engine and for the 9SpeedAutoBox. After more than 1.000 km with the new car i can tell: that was a wise swap.....
21-11-2014 06:55pm