Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is the Evoque value for money?
evoquemayne

RE: Is the Evoque value for money?

It depends on how you look at it. A Pure may be great value at the point of purchase, but simply put, higher spec'd cars are far more desirable to used car buyers.

Often, people buy used cars not only to save money, but to have the model/extras they can't afford, albeit accepting mileage, wear and the lack of a new car smell. The lower spec'd, extra-less models often are harder to shift. Much of time, they need to be retrofitted with extras their owners truly want, thereby representing a worse overall package.

And sorry, no one thinks spending thousand on gadgets they will never use is good value. That's just a nonsensical thing to say. Perhaps they will use them, or realize that having a Lux Dynamic, for example, will be far more appealing and easier to shift come sale time.
(This post was last modified: 23-06-2012 08:13pm by evoquemayne.)
23-06-2012 08:11pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Urban Splash

If you compare it to the German rivals it's cracking value. Look at a q3/x3. Base price seems reasonable, but start adding options, especially with Audi, and the price rockets. No way would I pay over £35k for a specced up toytown 4wd q3.

BMW in my opinion are in lala land. Seen how much a 4wd 3 series is going to be? 320i xdrive se is nearly £28k. To get a decent spec you are going to have to add £5k of options. Ridiculous.

Delivered: Evoque 5 door Prestige SD4 Auto 4WD, Orkney Grey, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Ivory Headliner, Vibe Interior, Spare wheel, 20" Chrome Shadow Style 7
23-06-2012 08:18pm
Coolbanana

(23-06-2012 07:25pm)ED209 Wrote:  In a boxster vrs 911 style it means you cannot afford a full on range rover.

I will admit i fall into this category.

Hmmm, I don't really agree with that comparison: where the Porsches are concerned, I like both the Boxster and 911 and guess I would prefer the 911 and therefore only choose the Boxster if I couldn't afford the legendary model...so that part rings true to me but then I do like the Boxster a lot so would have to drive both and see if the 911 was worth the extra...but a FFRR? I simply don't like them...I prefer the Disco 4. However, I got rid of my Disco 4 because I don't need nor want a large car - so even if I liked the FFRR it would not be on my 'want' list. I prefer the appearance of the RRS to the FFRR but don't want one of those either - again, preferring the Disco 4.

I bought the Evoque because it is just the right size for my needs, is relatively light and nimble compared to the larger cars and offers a half-decent 4x4 ability too. I downsized my car quite literally - I just don't want a large car, tried it, didn't need it. So to say I drive an Evoque because I can't afford a FFRR or even a RRS would be false.

I agree that many would assume I only chose the RRE on financial grounds though - that is just the way some people think. Don't care, I like my RRE and believe that the sum of its attributes represent a package that is good value for money. Cool

Brand? I like the LR brand but only see the RR sub-brand as a more luxurious LR and not more 'special'. Certainly, the iconic Defender is just as 'special' as any RR if not more so. Indeed, I view the entire LR/RR range in a similar way I see a BMW X1 18d compared to the X5 50d. Which is odd perhaps, because I do see the ///M brand within BMW as being extra special. But not the RR...that's just a luxury LR.

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
23-06-2012 08:33pm
ceebee

Is the Evoque value for money?

Although I fully understand that a higher spec car will be more desirable, it does not necessarily mean it will be easier to sell.

Say in a few years time, a buyer has 20k to spend on a car and he has a choice of the usual german marques or a "basic" Evoque with very few extras, my money would be on the Evoque

When I was looking for a car, I was very unimpressed with what was standard on the rivals, and when the Evoque pure spec was released it was a no-brainer for me as many items that were extras on the others were standard on the Evoque.

Waiting for: - 2015 SD4 Dynamic, LUX pack, Auto, 5 door. Mauritius Blue. Santorini Roof........spare wheel.
23-06-2012 08:35pm
ED209

(23-06-2012 08:11pm)evoquemayne Wrote:  It depends on how you look at it. A Pure may be great value at the point of purchase, but simply put, higher spec'd cars are far more desirable to used car buyers.

Often, people buy used cars not only to save money, but to have the model/extras they can't afford, albeit accepting mileage, wear and the lack of a new car smell. The lower spec'd, extra-less models often are harder to shift. Much of time, they need to be retrofitted with extras their owners truly want, thereby representing a worse overall package.

And sorry, no one thinks spending thousand on gadgets they will never use is good value. That's just a nonsensical thing to say. Perhaps they will use them, or realize that having a Lux Dynamic, for example, will be far more appealing and easier to shift come sale time.

they might be easier to sell, but at what loss? I have never heard of anyone in my life retrofitting factory options. If they wanted to do this they would buy a higher spec higher priced car.

If they want to get into the car/brand they aspire to they are more likely to buy my puer at a year old with everything they will ever need for say 25k than a high spec model for say 45k.

The simple fact is unless you buy some super rare supercar the more you spend, the more you loose. I love my evoque but it doesnt fall into that category and will loose money regardless.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
24-06-2012 12:38am
ytshome

Any car will sell as long as the price is right. Sure we look for specked up cars when considering nearly new but a standard car ( and let's face it it's got a lot of kit for a bog standard car) will still sell if the price is attractive. And be honest, how many people out there who were not babyrr officiando's would spot that a Pure with upgraded wheels wasn't a prestige. I know I have difficulty even now and I've had mine since two weeks after launch.

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
(This post was last modified: 24-06-2012 09:04am by ytshome.)
24-06-2012 09:03am
Belvoirbloke

When I chose the car, I wanted it primarily for the exceptionally beautiful interior (my view of course) of the Prestige model in a light colour only.
Remember this interior is newly designed and I think far nicer in its execution and simplicity than both RRS & RR.
I could have just afforded cash-wise to buy a RRS but the fuel consumption put me off. I’d never use it and I can’t imagine how many times you need to fill up on a long trip.
So at 40K it gives me the RR feel, totally fresh, unique look (still turns heads) plus it feels as if it has created it’s own marketing niche.
I love to drive it every day, find it very exciting, this must constitute great value for money.

lover’s tiff over Razz
Prestige SD4 auto, 5DR, Orkney Grey, Ivory/Dark Cherry/Pano/Power Tailgate
24-06-2012 04:53pm
PhilSkill

I decided on the car for me, with the options I wanted... (Certainly not going to buy the ash tray because the next owner might want one!) I then compared it to everything else and nothing could match desire for buck, or even features for buck at that quality level so it's what I ordered and therefore it's value for money respective to what I could be driving. It's a lot of money for a lot of car and has great offroad abilities that often get overlooked, there's plenty of cheaper options out there, KIA Sportage, Mazda CX7, Nissan Quashqai to name but a few, but they are just that... cheaper. (I had to help push a Quashqai out of a slightly snowy car park once... I don't expect to be doing that to an Evoque!)

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 24-06-2012 11:01pm by PhilSkill.)
24-06-2012 10:59pm
ojonesyo

I collect my Evoque on Wednesday. Having paid £46K, I guess I will lose around £10k? in the first year? So the initial answer to your value-for-money question is a huge NO! ...... but my family have had series 1, 2, 3, Ninety landrovers, Disco 1, Disco 2, Disco 4 and now an Evoque, typically keeping them for 10 years, covering around 100,000miles [including two 180,000 examples] .......and the long term Value-for-money question is a resounding YES!

SD4 Prestige Lux 5 door auto, Havana/Tan, Style 7 alloys, tow kit, spare wheel, high-beam assist, etc ..Arrived June 2012
24-06-2012 11:22pm
PhilSkill

Agreed, mine will be worth 3 parts of nothing by the time I sell it, but it will have earned its keep! (and hopefully not cost the moon in servicing and repairs)

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
24-06-2012 11:36pm