Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Installing GPS Bluetooth receiver
jph

Installing GPS Bluetooth receiver

I'm giving up on the Evoque navigation system. I want to use my iPhone and Google maps instead, but the metal film windscreen makes it difficult to receive GPS signals.

I'm thinking about installing a GPS receiver on the back window and have it transmit position data via Bluetooth to the iPhone.

Advantages include better position accuracy than the iPhone GPS and less drain on the iPhone battery.

The difficult is getting a receiver that turns itself on when the car is on and off when finished. I don't want to open the hatch to restart it every day. Planning to plug the charger cable into the power socket in the hatch.

Has anyone done this yet?

Here are the units I have found so far

[Image: b59f86952f261225b1e82d2cb09c2663.jpg][Image: 04a06529abf92d22c4fca6c8c35a7f5a.jpg]
22-04-2015 10:28pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trapdoor

RE: Installing GPS Bluetooth receiver

(22-04-2015 10:28pm)jph Wrote:  I'm thinking about installing a GPS receiver on the back window and have it transmit position data via Bluetooth to the iPhone.

Has anyone done this yet?

I use a Bad Elf Pro+ Bluetooth GPS with my iPad when flying. It works fine in the car and has exceptional GPS and GLONAS reception. Pretty sure you can set it to power up when the supply is connected but not 100% sure. Checkout the Bad Elf website as the manuals are all on there.

Word of caution though about Bluetooth GPS and iOS 8.3 - Apple broke the code that passes external GPS data across to apps in 8.3 and some older Bluetooth GPS modules no longer work. Pretty sure this includes the Dual and does include the Garmin and the non-pro Bad Elf units. As normal, Apple haven't admitted anything, nor given an indication when it will be fixed. It certainly isn't in the 8.4 beta!

Before you buy one, check it isn't one of those that is affected.

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
22-04-2015 11:22pm
Mark^^

RE: Installing GPS Bluetooth receiver

I have one of these waiting for me at the post office, a Masten WIFI Smartphone Mirroring Link with Airplay, Allshare Cast and Miracast. I am hoping to use this so I can use the maps systems on my phone and have them show up on the car screen.

http://www.digoptions.com/ProductDetails...Code=IA-02

According to Masterns this is not your standard Smart Phone Link! It's faster, more stable and has an improved WIFI chipset. The Car Wi-Fi Mirabox supports Wi-Fi Airplay, Miracast, Allshare Cast, screen mirroring for smartphones, and an RCA Output for car video.

Fuji White Dynamic SD4 – auto, with Energy interior and pano roof.
(This post was last modified: 23-04-2015 01:02pm by Mark^^.)
23-04-2015 01:00pm