Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Indicator Column Stalk : Inconsistant sound quality
benzina

Indicator Column Stalk : Inconsistant sound quality

I have noticed an inconsistant sound quality that the (indicator) Column stalk makes, when engaging (indicating) left or right (column stalk up or down).
Sometimes it's a nice perfect solid thud sound quality (that's how i assume it's meant to always be), and other times there's a cheapish plastic click/snap sound to it. This is something you can also feel through the fingers when it happens, and i think my one touch lane changing feature sometimes does not activate. I believe it's this particular mechanism within the unit itself,which is at fault.
Has anyone else detected this on there Evoque?

Note : This is NOT about the audible indicator sound, but the actual sound quality of the indicator column stalk when engaged either up or down. Also, NOT about the self-cancelation re-bound sound quality either.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 25-08-2012 05:55am by benzina.)
30-05-2012 07:12am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
speary

RE: Indicator Column Stalk : Inconsistant sound quality

do you get the click if you put the indicator on when the car is going straight ahead or when you are in a turn

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
30-05-2012 07:58am
PhilSkill

As speary is probably also thinking if you engage the indicator when the cancel mechanism is close to activating (e.g. when in a turn) you will get a different sound and probably feel, if it's happening in a straight line then obviously the cancel mechanism will not be active and so it should not be that.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
30-05-2012 09:39am
Barneyridge

Benzina, yes I have an inconsistent sound when using the indicator stalk. Sometimes it is a smooth action and sounds with a thud, where as the other times it seems to catch on something and there is a plastic sound.

Pure TD4, Fiji, Auto, Pan Roof + Extras - Delivered Very Happy
30-05-2012 11:24am
benzina

Barneyridge,yep...by the sounds of it, you got exactly what i'm talking about too. And in answer to Speary's question..it is about the initial activation of the stalk before your anticipated corner. It is NOT about the auto cancelling part or sound.
It will be interesting if everyone can travel along in silence for a while,test, and listen to theirs, then report back on their findings.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 31-05-2012 01:25am by benzina.)
30-05-2012 12:17pm
cjfp

I think PhilSkill has the answer to this - had this on most cars

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
30-05-2012 12:21pm
benzina

I wonder if it has something to do with the light touch (not fully depressed) 3 x indicate function on the stalk? (this you use when lane changing, so that cancelling is not required).
I'm thinking,if there is a separate little pre-switch in there that activates it, that this little pre-switch,is the cause of that cheap inconsistant sound quality.

(This post was last modified: 30-05-2012 01:25pm by benzina.)
30-05-2012 12:28pm
benzina

So has anyone else detected an inconsistant sound quality to there indicator stalk upon activation?

31-05-2012 01:26am
speary

no

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
31-05-2012 12:56pm
Barneyridge

(31-05-2012 01:26am)benzina Wrote:  So has anyone else detected an inconsistant sound quality to there indicator stalk upon activation?

Seems like it is just us buddy

Pure TD4, Fiji, Auto, Pan Roof + Extras - Delivered Very Happy
31-05-2012 12:58pm