Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
In car entertainment switching off
GeeCee

I can't believe I am the only person suffering from this - I like to sit in my car at lunchtime and listen to the radio or ipod and looked forward to the option of the TV or DVD with my Evoque.
Can anyone tell me why JLR go to the trouble and expense of supplying a unit with a flashy split screen where the driver can only see the TV or DVD when the car is stationary and it turns off after 10 minutes?
You can turn it back on and it goes off after another 10 minutes and after a couple more cycles you then get the message that the battery is running low and you need to start the engine, very environmentaly friendly. After a couple of frustrating weeks of this I have given up and read a book.
Why don't they fit a unit that seperates the entertainment from all the other electronic stuff going on in the background? Why don't they spend another £100 or so and fit a second battery just to run the entertainment when the engine is turned off? simples!
Spoils a good car.Mad
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2012 09:22pm by GeeCee.)
03-05-2012 09:21pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Straydox

RE: In car entertainment switching off

It's like that by design (my last Audi was the same), in truth there are quite a few of the car's systems drawing electrical power even with the engine off - and the audio/visual kit needs a fair bit on its own. The manufacturers fit smaller, lighter batteries to save weight that don't have the electrical reserve to be 100% sure of an instant startup followed by high demand lights/heaters etc. For all they know you might drive 3 miles home every day of the week so its designed to be as resilient as possible.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
03-05-2012 11:43pm
Donny Dog

(03-05-2012 11:43pm)Straydox Wrote:  It's like that by design (my last Audi was the same), in truth there are quite a few of the car's systems drawing electrical power even with the engine off - and the audio/visual kit needs a fair bit on its own. The manufacturers fit smaller, lighter batteries to save weight that don't have the electrical reserve to be 100% sure of an instant startup followed by high demand lights/heaters etc. For all they know you might drive 3 miles home every day of the week so its designed to be as resilient as possible.

So why can't it sense battery condition and issue warnings/turn off functions accordingly, rather than take this 'worst case' approach?
04-05-2012 09:05am
3V0QU3

I think that the only way of testing how much power a battery has in it is when you put a big load on it, so to keep testing it every few minutes to see if your tv watching is flattening the battery will infect flatten the battery.

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige Lux + AD + Black Roof Lining + Heated Steering Wheel
Arrived 27/03/12
Very Happy
04-05-2012 09:22am
Donny Dog

(04-05-2012 09:22am)3V0QU3 Wrote:  I think that the only way of testing how much power a battery has in it is when you put a big load on it, so to keep testing it every few minutes to see if your tv watching is flattening the battery will infect flatten the battery.

The batteries in my boat (three different sets) are monitored like this. If I'm away from shore power, and not running the generator, the 'domestic' batteries (which have heavy usage via 240v invertors) are continuously monitored and issue warnings if I 'overdo' consumption (to advise me to start the generator).
04-05-2012 09:30am
PhilSkill

Actually the high load test is more to detect a faulty Battery, the battery voltage can be monitored to determine it's state of charge but it's not an easy thing to get accurate in a wide range of environments and over the lifetime of the car.

But I do agree sitting in your car with this great entertainment system and not being able to enjoy it with the engine off is a bit of a pain to say the least!

Sometimes after i've struggled my way around the NAV it turns off before I've actually entered the destination..... arrrgh!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
04-05-2012 09:45am
GeeCee

Reading the replies re battery size etc worries me a bit for any bad winters, I hope the battery is up to them.
I still think modern motor design has taken a step backwards here, just seperate the entertainment system from all the other gubbins JLR! I would have paid another £150 and accepted an extra 0.1 MPG so I could have a working entertainment system!
Otherwise - I still like it tho' (that is once I get the auto shut button in the tailgate sorted at the 1st service)
(This post was last modified: 30-07-2012 08:39pm by GeeCee.)
30-07-2012 08:37pm
PhilSkill

Had mine sat unused for a week when we had -10 temps this winter, started on the button, no problem from that point of view.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
30-07-2012 10:58pm
The Valeter

(03-05-2012 09:21pm)GeeCee Wrote:  I can't believe I am the only person suffering from this - I like to sit in my car at lunchtime and listen to the radio or ipod and looked forward to the option of the TV or DVD with my Evoque.
Can anyone tell me why JLR go to the trouble and expense of supplying a unit with a flashy split screen where the driver can only see the TV or DVD when the car is stationary and it turns off after 10 minutes?
You can turn it back on and it goes off after another 10 minutes and after a couple more cycles you then get the message that the battery is running low and you need to start the engine, very environmentaly friendly. After a couple of frustrating weeks of this I have given up and read a book.
Why don't they fit a unit that seperates the entertainment from all the other electronic stuff going on in the background? Why don't they spend another £100 or so and fit a second battery just to run the entertainment when the engine is turned off? simples!
Spoils a good car.Mad

I agree 100% as this is my only real gripe with the car but one that is extreemly annoying. I too added these options for the same reason. Mad

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
30-07-2012 11:19pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply