Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to remove the in-dash display unit?
tplus

Hi,

I am about to connect a GVIF interface to the factory unit. How to remove it from the dash in order to access the connectors?

I watched the helpful video from powerfulukltd about how to remove the center console. Can I unlock the display unit from underneath, then?

Thanks for some help.

Torsten
(This post was last modified: 13-09-2012 12:24pm by tplus.)
13-09-2012 10:46am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
doug

RE: How to remove the in-dash display unit?

You need to remove the middle dash. Follow this link from Pete's web page

http://bellautoservices.co.uk/products/e...e-install/

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
13-09-2012 03:02pm
tplus

Thanks, that helps.
13-09-2012 03:12pm
gibbyd

(13-09-2012 10:46am)tplus Wrote:  Hi,

I am about to connect a GVIF interface to the factory unit. How to remove it from the dash in order to access the connectors?

I watched the helpful video from powerfulukltd about how to remove the center console. Can I unlock the display unit from underneath, then?

Thanks for some help.

Torsten

Am very interested in your interface plans Torsten.

Really want to use the I phone through the centre screen.
13-09-2012 10:00pm
tplus

I could not justify spending any money for the awful factory satnav so I'll have an Android phone for the navigation and much more. In brief the components:

- Range Rover Evoque with 8'' screen
- Motorola Atrix
- Atrix HD dock (or cable and mod)
- HDMI -> composite converter
- GVIF interface
- satnav app by Navigon, Tom-Tom, Google Navigation...

You'll find information about all that at Google or ebay. Also search youtube. The interface will mirror the phones display on the factory 8'' screen. The Atrix will work as a touchpad and will be mounted in the cupholder-box. The touchpad-emulation is a bit of an "Atrix-special" and I am not sure whether the late Steve Jobs granted permission for such an app in the iphone before he passed away.

I'll try this first and when this solution is not convenient enough I'll use the factory touchscreen to operate the controls of the apps. Maybe thats what you want and you need in addition:

- Customgadz Mimics X2 touch controler
- Customgadz Android/iphone app

It seems to work with an iphone. I believe it has to be jailbraked for that (what else?). You could also Google/youtube for "stagemotion" a company selling kits like that.

This way you not only have satnav, but also Google, a webbrowser, webradio, mp3 and videoplayer, Angry Birds. While driving with 120 mph on a German Autobahn, sure... Wink

Regards
Torsten
14-09-2012 09:22am
gibbyd

(14-09-2012 09:22am)tplus Wrote:  I could not justify spending any money for the awful factory satnav so I'll have an Android phone for the navigation and much more. In brief the components:

- Range Rover Evoque with 8'' screen
- Motorola Atrix
- Atrix HD dock (or cable and mod)
- HDMI -> composite converter
- GVIF interface
- satnav app by Navigon, Tom-Tom, Google Navigation...

You'll find information about all that at Google or ebay. Also search youtube. The interface will mirror the phones display on the factory 8'' screen. The Atrix will work as a touchpad and will be mounted in the cupholder-box. The touchpad-emulation is a bit of an "Atrix-special" and I am not sure whether the late Steve Jobs granted permission for such an app in the iphone before he passed away.

I'll try this first and when this solution is not convenient enough I'll use the factory touchscreen to operate the controls of the apps. Maybe thats what you want and you need in addition:

- Customgadz Mimics X2 touch controler
- Customgadz Android/iphone app

It seems to work with an iphone. I believe it has to be jailbraked for that (what else?). You could also Google/youtube for "stagemotion" a company selling kits like that.

This way you not only have satnav, but also Google, a webbrowser, webradio, mp3 and videoplayer, Angry Birds. While driving with 120 mph on a German Autobahn, sure... Wink

Regards
Torsten

Can you post up pics of the connection to the back of the 8"screen when you do it.
Thanks
14-09-2012 07:14pm
mickydd

Any update on this project, would be interested to hear from you.

Arrived 24th February. Dynamic 5 dr SD4, manual ,Firenze with Verve interior, 20" Sparkle
20-09-2012 01:16pm
mshotel

I'm also intrigued with this... the range rover system is factory system is total crap... It's almost deadly to use it while driving.

Micah
22-09-2012 12:51am
tplus

Hi,

I cannot invest too much time in this project and want to do it properly. I bought the Atrix to see if GPS reception and performance is good enough for navigation and can confirm that it is indeed. Works fine with Navigon or Google Maps, I did not bother to test all the rest of the nav-apps. I also have the HD-dock and found out that the HDMI cable is just in-out, so this is not neccessary when the mod is working and you do not want to use an USB mouse/trackpad/trackball.

Now I am waiting for the HDMI-compostite converter to test operation with a "slave" screen. And then its to decide whether I'll use a GVIF Interface like that:

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?pr...=40&page=1

or the Customgadz solution.

But as my car is equipped with the surround-cameras I wonder if I couldn't simply use one channel as composite-input (switchable). Does anyone know if there is accessible wiring from the cameras to the main unit or is it a "bus" system?
22-09-2012 09:50am
gibbyd

(14-09-2012 07:14pm)gibbyd Wrote:  Can you post up pics of the connection to the back of the 8"screen when you do it.
Thanks

[Image: ube7aje5.jpg] This unit is for sale on tinternet and seems to show the connections to screen. Would love to get this set up sorted.
19-10-2012 08:47am