Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to dock an iPhone in an accesible place
gibbyd

RE: How to dock an iPhone in an accesible place

(19-01-2012 02:09am)puchanix Wrote:  Hello Everyone,

Expecting delivery of my Dynamic in a couple of weeks and wondering where I will put my iPhone while driving. I want it handy so that I can control Pandora, etc. So I don't want it inside the center console where the USB connector is. Has anyone found a good place to put an iPhone? I was thinking that I could get one of the docking stations made for cup-holders and put it there but I am wondering how I will run the USB cable from there to the connector inside the center console. Is there a hole of some sort between the center console and the cup holders area? When the center console is closed, is there some other space for the USB cable to go out?

Thank you.

Cheers,

P.

what about this
21-01-2012 02:35am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
puchanix

The Honeywell dock looks pretty awesome but I believe they make it for private planes, so I bet it costs hundreds of dollars! I came across another slick dock at http://specdock.com/.

I remain confused though about whether I will be able to run a USB cable straight from the adapter inside the center console to the cup holder area - without the cable being visible. If these two compartments are closed, for instance, can a cable run under the lids between them?

Thanks for all the advise!

P.

PS: Just tracked my car and it just passed the Panama Canal Smile.
21-01-2012 05:25am
QueJumper

You can definately get the cable out easily as I use the USB socket to power a speed camera device on the dash.

I just ran it out the back of the console and then along under the trim on the centre tunnel, under the dash (easy to remove the lower trim panel under wheel) up the under the A pillar trim and then to the dash.

I'll take a look and see if it's easy to get between cubby hole and cup holders. Shouldn't be too hard to do.
Pandora control? Not sure you'll be able to do much? I use Spotify and Napster and although they play fine you can only control volume and skip to the next track. There's no way to browse, search or start up from the Evoque. You first have to set it running on your device.

Luckily I had an old iPod touch which does the job nicely and can be left wired and powered by the iphone socket. Leaving my iPhone free for Bluetooth phone or occasionally Bluetooth audio streaming too!

Now Sold - Small, clean, fun car mainly for me - Sd4 Dynamic Lux - White/Black roof

Still going strong - Big, dirty, fun car mainly for the wife, kids and dog - Disco 4 - Blue (with lots of mud outside, sweets & litter inside)
(This post was last modified: 21-01-2012 10:41am by QueJumper.)
21-01-2012 10:36am
RoverMD

(21-01-2012 05:25am)puchanix Wrote:  The Honeywell dock looks pretty awesome but I believe they make it for private planes, so I bet it costs hundreds of dollars! I came across another slick dock at http://specdock.com/.

I remain confused though about whether I will be able to run a USB cable straight from the adapter inside the center console to the cup holder area - without the cable being visible. If these two compartments are closed, for instance, can a cable run under the lids between them?

Thanks for all the advise!

P.

PS: Just tracked my car and it just passed the Panama Canal Smile.

This dock looks nice. Will it hold the phone with a case though?

'12 Dynamic - Buckingham Blue
21-01-2012 11:50am
puchanix

I got a pretty good dock that fits in the cupholder space: http://www.amazon.com/Sinjimoru-Charge-S...pd_cp_e_0.

P.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

18-02-2012 02:39am
VirtualCamper

(19-01-2012 10:52am)WB Wrote:  A feature they should have carried over from the LRX...

certaqinly should have been an option we could have specified, loads would have ordered it .

2017 Evoque SE Tech - Kaikoura Stone - > PREVIOUSLY - 5dr Pure Mauritius blue with panoramic roof, power tailgate.
26-02-2012 10:39pm
gibbyd

[Image: 2e7emedu.jpg][Image: tyze2e6u.jpg]

Have put the phone here to try it. Holds well on the magnet and can view it at a glance. Have extended the I phone connector leads to hook up in the centre arm rest.
11-09-2012 10:48pm
tetstb

Easy, I have this

http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/ho...Holder.asp

I run the cable from the socket under the armrest and the cable tucks neatly into the groove between the metal
trim and the plastic on the side of the centre console. As I used BT most of the time, I rarely have the cable in
place. There are couple of different versions of the brodit holder depending on 3gs/4/4s cased/uncased and
active or passive.

Cheers

Bob

SD4 Auto Dynamic OG , Verve, Panoramic Roof, Chrome Shadow, 825w audio, Park Assist, Privacy Glass.

[Image: 123130.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2012 08:52am by tetstb.)
12-09-2012 08:50am
Barton Evoque

I have just bought the same one as first picture hope it does the job.once i get my car to fit it to.

Evoque My13 TD4 Pure.Orkney Grey with Tech Pack~Spare Wheel~Front Fogs~Privacy Glass~Ebony Interior~Mudflaps~Evoque Footrest~DVD Headrests~Towtrust Towbar.Collected 17th Sept. Very Happy
Also nicely modded Audi TT Roadster.
12-09-2012 03:36pm
gibbyd

(11-09-2012 10:48pm)gibbyd Wrote:  [Image: 2e7emedu.jpg][Image: tyze2e6u.jpg]

Have put the phone here to try it. Holds well on the magnet and can view it at a glance. Have extended the I phone connector leads to hook up in the centre arm rest.

[Image: uny9uhap.jpg][Image: yseze9e3.jpg][Image: 6aturegu.jpg][Image: 7ydubase.jpg]
29-10-2012 01:43pm