Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hi. Thinking of getting one.
Steve D

Hi. Thinking of getting one.

Hello. Just popped over from Freel2.com, same user name.

Having enjoyed FL2 ownership for over 2 years, we are thinking of getting an Evoque. Despite the scare stories the only thing I've changed other than general wear and tear items such as brakes and battery has been my throttle body.

Before I start my quest for the right car and shell out my hard earned cash, being a relatively new model are there any common faults to look out for? I know all forums will give the impression that any particular site will show problems with that model as that's why a lot of people sign up - there are many more that don't sign up and have years of trouble free motoring.

FL2 sites seem to have their fair share of owners with rear wheel bearing problems, diff problems, throttle body problems (me!), engines eating throttle flaps, camshaft r breaking, electrical woes etc. So, what, if any, is coming up as common on the Evoque? I've had just the briefest of glances and electrical warnings regarding the gearbox seems fairly common - I also read of one going into limp mode because of a faulty headlamp! I'm in the UK so I don't know whether any faults are universal or country/market specific.

Thanks in advance.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
15-07-2015 08:14am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
doug

RE: Hi. Thinking of getting one.

Welcome Steve,
If you make a search you can read about almost any issue know to have ever happened. But these are rare, most owners are very pleased with there RRE.
It's always the case that we write about all the bad points, but forget the fact that cars today are made up of hundreds of components which never give course for concern.

That said there will always be problems but no worse than any other brand.
Nearly four years since it's launch & the most talked about issues are
  • Poor panel gaps
  • Flat batterys
  • Break pad ware
  • Gearbox software

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
(This post was last modified: 15-07-2015 05:55pm by doug.)
15-07-2015 12:57pm
Steve D

(15-07-2015 12:57pm)doug Wrote:  Welcome Steve,
If you make a search you can read about almost any issue know to ever ever happened. But these are rare, most owners are very pleased with there RRE.
It's always the case that we write about all the bad points, but forget the fact that cars today are made up of hundreds of components which never give course for concern.

That said there will always be problems but no worse than any other brand.
Nearly four years since it's launch & the most talked about issues are
  • Poor panel gaps
  • Flat batterys
  • Break pad ware
  • Gearbox software

Thanks Doug
No major mechanical issues then. That's good news. Very Happy

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
15-07-2015 04:17pm
Steve D

Me again.
So, what's with the model ranges - pure, pure tech, prestige, prestige lux, dynamic etc.?
I currently have a FL2 TD4 HSE so looking for a comparably equipped model.
I'm looking for an auto model with leather seats, factory tints, 18" wheels and sunroof as a minimum. Not too bothered about satnav if they're anything like the one fitted in my FL2! What model(s) should I be looking at?

We do 6-8000 miles per year, mostly short journeys of 7 miles so wondering about any DPF issues when doing short journey work. What about the petrol ones - they seem mighty powerful!

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2015 10:47am by Steve D.)
04-08-2015 10:33am
walterwindbag

(04-08-2015 10:33am)Steve D Wrote:  Me again.
So, what's with the model ranges - pure, pure tech, prestige, prestige lux, dynamic etc.?
I currently have a FL2 TD4 HSE so looking for a comparably equipped model.
I'm looking for a SD4 Auto with leather seats, factory tints, 18" wheels and sunroof as a minimum. Not too bothered about satnav if they're anything like the one fitted in my FL2! What model(s) should I be looking at?
Steve, you're looking at last years model (MY15). Look at the MY16 on the LR site configurator. Try SE Tech.
BR
Walt

On order for Nov: SE Tech Coupe, 180bhp, 9 speed auto, pano roof, privacy glass, spare wheel, Auto High Beam, Rear camera, 5 year service pack, Active Driveline, Aintree Green, Almond/Espresso.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2015 10:45am by walterwindbag.)
04-08-2015 10:44am
Steve D

(04-08-2015 10:44am)walterwindbag Wrote:  Steve, you're looking at last years model (MY15). Look at the MY16 on the LR site configurator. Try SE Tech.
BR
Walt
Thanks. But forgot to say, I only want to pay up to 30K max so even 2014 models are out for me!

04-08-2015 11:28am
5jms5

Hi Steve

As a previous FL2 owner now in a RRE I think to match the HSE trim you will be looking at a Dynamic. Most Pure cars have the tech pack which adds a few toys just have a look at the dealers second hand cars to see different specs in the flesh. You won't be disappointed with a Evoque.
10-08-2015 04:12pm
markdartj

No major problems here. If you read most forums for any car, you'll see a lot of things that may scare you away. A lot of people will post when they have problems, but not if everything is OK. I purchased a RRE because it was unique, and a damn good looking car. I watch (I should say watched) Top Gear so I knew about some of the problems, but under the new ownership (Tata), quality has improved. If you want to play it safe, get a Honda, or Toyota (which is what I came from). Then you'll have a car just like everybody else has. Good luck in your search.

2014 Fuji White Pure PremiumWink
11-08-2015 06:54am
Steve D

Well, I went and looked at my first one today at a main dealer. Didn't even ask to drive it! It had a small rear numberplate made by Halfords that looked odd and didn't match the front one so I was concerned that it may have had some rear damage. It had two different makes of tyres fitted (not different front and rear but one make on one side and one make on the other!) and one of the rear tyres didn't have much tread on the outer edge - looked like it had been swapped from the front. Even my wife noticed the odd tyres on the rear. To top it all, the wheels were VERY badly kerbed. Didn't ever think I'd see a car like that for nearly £30K on a main dealer forecourt. Not a good start! Sad

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2015 07:25pm by Steve D.)
12-09-2015 07:23pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Sounds like a proper "pass on by" car, there are lots and lots of them now after the September flush of trade ins so as we are always told when looking for a used Land Rover product "don't buy the first one that you see!" I am surprised that it had odd tyres across an axle because that will do untold damage to the 4WD system with different makes having differing friction characteristics.............. also having one with decent tread on one side and a nearly spent one on the other will not do it any good either. You would expect any LR approved dealer worth anything would know that......... might be worth raising with the dealer before they end up with a heap of damage to the tranny on the car, of course it could also be used as a bargaining point, but personnally I wopuldn't want to buy it as it has been willfully abused by the dealership not doing a proper Approved Used inspection.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2015 07:38pm by XFullFatTim.)
12-09-2015 07:36pm