Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hi Everyone & Roof Bars question
Edvarski

Hi Everyone & Roof Bars question

Hi All,

Just thought I'd introduce myself before jumping headlong into a question!

We are currently in the process of swapping our RR Sport for an Evoque. The cunning plan is that my wife gets the Evoque, and I get a new Campervan in the spring. that way we still get a bit of luxury in the Evoque when we want it, but still get a nice big vehicle for adventures in too.

I've been looking at the options for luggage carrying, as we usually use a roofbox for our summer hols. I know there is the roof rails and roof bar in the option list, but at over £800 it ain't cheap.

On the RR Sport the roof bars I have mount into the bolt holes in the roof without the need for the roof rails - they are the Whispbar racks. It seems they don't make the equivalent for the Evoque - you would need to have the roof rail too. There is a Thule option which I think clips over the side of the roof round the door frame.

Has anyone put roof bars on their Evoque? If so what bars have you used and are they OK/

Any help appreciated!

Simon.
01-07-2014 11:49am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LaserTam

RE: Hi Everyone & Roof Bars question

I have the Thule system that doesn't use the Roof Rails, just sits on the top of the frame. Used for a roof box. So far so good - have read of possible issues if you have a Pano roof (which I have), but decided that it seems that only a few incidents reported, so went for it anyway.

Just need to make sure that the paintwork and the rubber feet are clean to avoid any paintwork damage.

Born 28th June - Pure Tech 2.2 eD4 Manual in Santorini Black, Pano roof, Cirrus leather, style 6 wheels, rear camera, power mirrors, auto dim RVM
01-07-2014 05:56pm
Edvarski

I'd not thought about the panoramic roof implications. It's one of the things we want.

I've done a quick search and can't see anyone having issues directly caused by the bars, just concerns. Although any pictures I've seen have been with the bars on solid roofs, so maybe that's telling me something.

I think I'll have a quick trip to the dealers and see where the pano roof comes to on the edge of the frame and then decide.
01-07-2014 08:49pm
grommit

(01-07-2014 08:49pm)Edvarski Wrote:  I'd not thought about the panoramic roof implications. It's one of the things we want.

I've done a quick search and can't see anyone having issues directly caused by the bars, just concerns. Although any pictures I've seen have been with the bars on solid roofs, so maybe that's telling me something.

I think I'll have a quick trip to the dealers and see where the pano roof comes to on the edge of the frame and then decide.

Hi I fitted roof bars last week to my pan roof Evoque took about 45Min, after market ones bought of ebay £158 they bolt on at the front & back look good for the money, just got to get some cross bars now
12-07-2014 06:50am
Edvarski

I decided to go for roof rails on the end. When I looked into it further the Thule clip on's had a lower load rating - 50kg instead of the normal 75kg. Plus negotiated them into the deal so they came at no extra cost too!

As it happens the cross bars required with the roof rail fitted are exactly the same as the ones I had for my Jeep Grand Cherokee, so I haven't had to buy any of these either. I knew there was a reason I never got round to putting them on ebay Wink

I'm picking the new motor up next week, so I'll post some pics up when she arrives.

Currently MY11 RRSport, soon to be shiny new Evoque!
12-07-2014 07:23am