Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help with different towing electronics
JavierBayArea

I'm confused with the different towing electronics offered. Some seem to have 1 plug that connects to the evoque while others have 2.

For example, the connector i was going to purchase is from Curt has only 1 plug:
http://www.curtmfg.com/part/56159

The one from range rover has 2 plugs:
http://www.atticmarket.com/range-rover-e...iring-kit/

Could anyone please explain this to me?, Am i missing features if i install the one with 1 plug?.

Also i wonder, do evoques have built in brake controllers, and what is tow assist (is it just helping you hook the trailer or anything else while driving?).

I also wonder if whatever this tow assist is, works with the single plug connector.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 07:14pm by JavierBayArea.)
03-11-2014 07:08pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Help with different towing electronics

We have the same in the UK, single and twin installs for plugs/sockets - I have a small single axle trailer and it only needs single system to power trailer towing lights, brake lights, reversing light, rear fog light and indicators, I believe the twin system is used for those towing caravans and the 2nd electrics are for running things like fridges while on the move.

Their are two towing systems available - Tow assist is an electronic system that shows up on the back up cam screen to allow you back up to the trailer it has no need of a socket - you may find under the truck floor of your car there is a self adhesive white triangle with three large black spots on it - that is to assist with lining up too, the other system is TrailAir and is designed to prevent trailer jack-knifing/ snaking, but I don't think it is available outside the UK market.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 07:48pm by XFullFatTim.)
03-11-2014 07:46pm
JavierBayArea

So the only benefit of the twin system is more power for the caravan?.

makes no use of the trailer brakes if available?
03-11-2014 11:04pm
XFullFatTim

I think you would have to ask a dealer that in the USA as it may be different there to over here. I've never owned or towed a braked trailer behind any of my cars, even my Defender. Must be quite some size/ capacity of trailer!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
03-11-2014 11:50pm
JavierBayArea

I ask because the only time i ever towed something it was a caravan for 5 people (on a Dodge Durango)

So without the trailer brakes and a brake controller i had next to me in the driver seat i would have died surely because of the jack knifing thing you mentioned.

So now i'm afraid to tow anything without those brakes Very Happy Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014 01:51am by JavierBayArea.)
04-11-2014 01:49am
XFullFatTim

Ah, we have what are called Anti-Snaking devices that reduce almost to zero the chances of that happening. Do a google search for Caravan Anti-snaking Devices, it looks like a flat sprung piece of steel that is fitted to the trailer and engages on a slot on the tow bar of the car - no electrics involved. The caravaners on the forum will have either a special draw and tow ball on their 'van these days if they have a more modern 'van. Those with older tpow systems for their caravan will have an anti-snaking device.
The experience you had used to be a common cause of accidents on our motorways when the caravan would be made to snake by a passing truck and trailer or if the caravan tried ot overtake the car on a long down slope.........

04-11-2014 09:31am
Johnknight

Single sockets are the same as twin sockets. The difference is the single socket has 16 pins and carrys all the auxiliary electrics for powering caravan fridges etc on the move.

Dynamic Lux in Firenze red. MY15 model
13-11-2014 07:41pm
MrNoo

(13-11-2014 07:41pm)Johnknight Wrote:  Single sockets are the same as twin sockets. The difference is the single socket has 16 pins and carrys all the auxiliary electrics for powering caravan fridges etc on the move.

And if you still have the older 7N and 7S plugs on your trailer or caravan there are 2 different adapters available.
1. If you only want the 7N socket there is an adapter that fits into the 13 pin socket that enables you to plug your 7N plug into it - the car equivalent of the adapter you take on holiday abroad so you can use your 3 pin UK plug in foreign sockets.
2. A more clumsy arrangement were there is a 13 pin plug that has 2 wires attached on the end of which is a 7N and a 7S socket so you can plug your 7N and 7S plugs into it/them.

Arrived - SD4 Prestige, 5 door, manual in Orkney Grey with Element interior. Style 4 wheels, spare wheel & auto-dimming rear view mirror.
Joining MX-5 2.0i convertible.
13-11-2014 08:24pm
Johnknight

Oh. I said 16 pins. I was getting carried away!

Dynamic Lux in Firenze red. MY15 model
13-11-2014 10:35pm