Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Heated steering wheel problem?!
alibeau

Morning Guys,

I tend to use my heated steering wheel more often than most I would guess. I am a generally cold creature and I prefer to have my heated seat and steering wheel on and have the air in the car slightly cooler.....

Anyhow, over the weekend my heated steering wheel stopped working, stone cold. I tried it half a dozen times on different trips but nothing. I was fully expecting to put a call into my dealer today but strangely it has started working again?!

Anyone else experienced this problem? Also on the same topic, is the heated wheel supposed to cut out after a certain amount of time as mine does not?!

Thanks.

Ali.

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
22-10-2012 11:02am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Heated steering wheel problem?!

I noticed the other day that mine never switches itself off as well. I thought they were on a timer as well as a thermostat

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
22-10-2012 01:10pm
paulcon

Since LR assistance had to come out and resolve my 'stranded on the drive' experience I have not had a problem using my heated steering wheel when in the past it was not engaging.

Conclusion: It may well not be turning on if it detects the battery is running slightly low as it's a non-essential. That may also explain why my boot only power closes 50% of the time.

Roll on my service tomorrow when hopefully they have a fix

Black 'n Black SD4 Dynamic Lux 5-door with privacy.
22-10-2012 01:17pm
Teetree

The longest time I've used mine for is the drive to work in the morning which is only 25-30 mins. First few times I left it on all the way but recently started to worry it may not be good for the heating elements if left on for prolonged periods so I turn it off when my hands are warm now. I've yet to consult the manual to see if it advises anything on this matter

Fuji Pure SD4 Auto 5door, powered tailgate, front sensors, rear camera , pano roof, heated steering wheel, front fogs, xenons, spare wheel, 19" diamond turned alloys
22-10-2012 04:58pm
cjfp

You lot should just man-up, "ooh, cold hands brrrr" ! Laughing

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
22-10-2012 05:02pm
XFullFatTim

Watch it or we'll come and take your windscreen out and then you'll know what it is like to be cold on a frosty morning after your car has sat out on the drive all night!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 22-10-2012 05:03pm by XFullFatTim.)
22-10-2012 05:03pm
Teetree

Much nicer weather and warmer in Hampshire tho!Smile

Fuji Pure SD4 Auto 5door, powered tailgate, front sensors, rear camera , pano roof, heated steering wheel, front fogs, xenons, spare wheel, 19" diamond turned alloys
22-10-2012 05:40pm
Lone Rangerover

(22-10-2012 05:40pm)Teetree Wrote:  Much nicer weather and warmer in Hampshire tho!Smile

I have noticed that my heated steering wheel does not get very warm. Comparing it to BMW's that I have owned, they get much warmer.

The Evoque one is barely lukewarm. Do people notice there's getting really warm ?

I wonder if my steering wheel is defective - or if they are all like that
22-10-2012 09:30pm
DaveR

Re: Heated steering wheel problem?!

Mine gets quite toasty, not sure I would want mine any warmer. Its subjective of course so might be worth comparing with one at the dealer if they have one in with it fitted.

Failing that I have one of those infra red thermometers so could take the temp but you would need to do something similar to compare them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
23-10-2012 07:33am
XFullFatTim

Yep, mine gets toasty too, as do the heated seats - No3 setting is quite uncomfortable once it is warmed up!

23-10-2012 09:53am