Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Heat shield corrosion
jeffersj

Heat shield corrosion

We have a 2018 Evoque, I noticed tinny rattling sound from the rear. On examination it turns out the the heat shield above the exhaust box had corroded around the securing nuts and washers? so was resting on the exhaust box causing the noise.

Tried to loosen the nuts but I am not sure whether they are captive? there is no way of finding the bolt head in the boot without ripping out the preformed sound proofing as far I can see.

Are the retaining nuts for the heat shield captive?

Jeff

Member of Defender2 and Disco3/4 forums, currently driving a 90 300tdi and the Evoque Dynamic which is really my wife's car.
02-02-2024 10:40am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jeffersj

RE: Heat shield corrosion

(02-02-2024 10:40am)jeffersj Wrote:  We have a 2018 Evoque, I noticed tinny rattling sound from the rear. On examination it turns out the the heat shield above the exhaust box had corroded around the securing nuts and washers? so was resting on the exhaust box causing the noise.

Tried to loosen the nuts but I am not sure whether they are captive? there is no way of finding the bolt head in the boot without ripping out the preformed sound proofing as far I can see.

Are the retaining nuts for the heat shield captive?

Further to the above it appears that a better fitting than the metal washer is a heat shield clip widely available on ebay for pennies as oppsed the the LR OEM at a £5 for one!!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Jeff

Member of Defender2 and Disco3/4 forums, currently driving a 90 300tdi and the Evoque Dynamic which is really my wife's car.
03-02-2024 01:33pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply