Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Headlight problem
themonk

Headlight problem

Drove to work today and all was fine. Got in the car to come home and have no headlights or full beam on both sides.

Surely both bulbs wouldn't have blown

Anyone else experienced this.

Gonna check the bulbs tomorrow but really don't think both would go.
(This post was last modified: 18-01-2017 10:55pm by themonk.)
18-01-2017 10:55pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evoquemill

RE: Headlight problem

Exactly the same problem today on mine, no headlights or full beam, sides working fine. Tested the fuses and not a fuse issue. Could both go at the same time or is there another gremlin I am missing before I rip the lights out.
(This post was last modified: 23-01-2017 08:50pm by Evoquemill.)
23-01-2017 08:49pm
themonk

Mine was solved the next day. I had put halfords bulbs in there the 120% brighter ones. They had both exploded. Had to try and get a hoover in there to clear out the glass. Took them back. Played he'll and had them replaced to bosch ones. I will never buy halfords ones again.
23-01-2017 09:32pm
syl

Sometimes you don't notice when only one bulb has gone - but it's obvious when they're both out. However, I thought you'd get an error message on the dash.

MY17 RR Evoque TD4 Autobiography
MY17 RRS SDV6 Autobiography
23-01-2017 10:38pm
Evoquemill

Maybe they have failed, surprised both go at the same time and on OEM Xenons, I will have to rip them out and test them in case there is something else going on. Osram OEM's go for £100 for the pair so the next set had better last if that is the problem.

I also thought you should get an error message but scanning the message boards I don't think the SD4 Tech gives a warning..
(This post was last modified: 23-01-2017 11:28pm by Evoquemill.)
23-01-2017 11:24pm
PhilSkill

There is no warning, they are not error detected, (Non CANBUS, which is a completely incorrect name)

Exploding bulbs seems to be quite an issue with halogen bulbs these days.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
24-01-2017 12:16am
imthebest20

Yep same problem here, headlights blowing constantly on main/full beam. Dealers claim only LR bulbs will work.
24-01-2017 03:25pm
Steve D

Do LR make bulbs then?

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
24-01-2017 07:52pm
RogB

I had a succession of Hellfrauds 120% brighter bulbs blow in mine, and eventually put in some GE Pure glow bulbs from the same place (convenience as it was dark and only had 1 working bulb)
The GE ones so far have not blown in 2 months (touching wood and praying I don't jinx things)
The light off them is shocking though, so im thinking about a HID Xenon conversion kit

Hellfrauds also claimed it was a problem with RRE and some RRS blowing the bulbs, and that normally on LR supplied bulbs would work. TBH im inclined to agree as ive had the 120% bulbs in other cards with no issues.

2012 Evoque Pure 5 door - Santorini Black, 20'' style 6 wheels, privacy, fogs, (accident damaged wreck direct from LR approved :rollSmile
2011 Evoque Prestige 3 door - Indus Silver, gloss black 19'' style 5 wheels, privacy, partial black pack.

and a few Freelander 2 over the yearsLaughing
25-01-2017 12:02pm
Lonerangerover

Same here. Halfords brighter bulbs. Exploded simultaneously. I found the lights poor with the original bulbs.

I don't believe it is simply the bulbs which are at fault. What are the chances of two bulbs failing at the same moment? Unless, that is, something in the supply caused them to fail. The only common factor is the supply i.e the car. If it was just one bulb failing I'd probably just accept it was a rubbish bulb. But both failing at exactly the same moment? There has to be more to it.

I personally believe there is an issue with the vehicle that Landrover are keeping quiet about.

So, my question is what event in the supply has occurred to precipitate the double bulb failure? I was stranded and the RAC bloke checked the alternator in case it was overcharging, which (at that moment) it wasn't.

I went back to Halfords and had a good conversation with them. Interestingly, all branches have had a recent internal memo (I was shown it) saying that under no circumstances are their staff to sell replacement headlamp bulbs to owners of RR Evoques.

They (Halfords) have this issue with Evoques only and they must have had a load of grief over it.

They also told me (and I don't disbelieve them) that they have replaced plenty of (original) bulbs in Evoques which have failed similarly.

I next went to my main dealer and asked if there is a known problem with headlamp bulbs failing with greater frequency than usual in the Evoque. I got a rather woolly response along the lines of "We'll fit 2 new bulbs of our own type (at my expense) and if it happens again we will consider a warranty claim" but warned me that would be a lengthy process.

All very well, but I don't trust the car right now and if the same thing happens again and I am bowling along a country lane late at night, the outcome might not be too jolly.

Discuss.
(This post was last modified: 14-06-2017 10:51pm by Lonerangerover.)
14-06-2017 09:05pm