Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tailgate trim removal
Westy

Tailgate trim removal

Good morning

I am after some advice, I wonder if someone has already carried this out.

I am looking to get the tailgate trim either wrapped or painted and would like to remove it to do the job properly and leave it behind so I can carry on using my car. This is the trim that you hold when opening the tailgate, in my case on the pure it is a nasty plastic grey colour (IMO) and not like the dynamic or prestige.

I think it should be a straightforwardq job, haven't had the time to look yet inside the tailgate panels.

Has anyone been successful, I am hoping it is not glued or bonded to the tailgate.

ANy help or advice would be appreciated

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
10-05-2012 08:39am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pureevoque

RE: Tailgate trim removal

Hi Westy, sorry I didn't reply yet, it is easy, you'll see inside there's a separate panel that's easily removed (i used a cheap plastic trim removal tool that I got off eBay) it just snaps off an on easily, I've removed it twice and none of my clips broke, much easier than the side blades. Once that panels off you just have to remove an electric box (not sure what it is but a Jaguar part!) then you have access to 4 bolts, once there off the trim will just pull off from the outside, there's a couple of push clips at each end, but a gentle pull releases it. Then just disconnect an electrical plug.

Wrapping it is easy providing you have good vinyl, I would highly recommend 3M, the only place I found I could buy it was off a Polish ebay seller, but it arrived UPS in under a week - carbodydesign_eu

ed4 Pure 5 Dr, Fuji, Xenons, Front Fogs, Power mirrors & tailgate, 20" Style 6. Ordered 290611 Delivered 090312
10-05-2012 01:09pm
Westy

Many thanks, will take a look this evening and see.

Forgot to send you the picture of the car with the mudflaps and roof rails

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w463...f2da0e.jpg

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w463...ef5d7f.jpg

Just the grey to black plastics to do now

Thanks for your help

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
10-05-2012 03:34pm
ytshome

(10-05-2012 03:34pm)Westy Wrote:  Many thanks, will take a look this evening and see.

Forgot to send you the picture of the car with the mudflaps and roof rails

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w463...f2da0e.jpg

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w463...ef5d7f.jpg

Just the grey to black plastics to do now

Thanks for your help

I enjoyed the pics, thanks. The second one looks particularly great.

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
10-05-2012 10:09pm
Tony

[quote='pureevoque' pid='55324' dateline='1336651769']
Hi Westy, sorry I didn't reply yet, it is easy, you'll see inside there's a separate panel that's easily removed (i used a cheap plastic trim removal tool that I got off eBay) it just snaps off an on easily, I've removed it twice and none of my clips broke, much easier than the side blades.

Be careful with this trim panel, mine has just been fixed by the dealer. Took over two months to track down the source of the rattles - one clip missing and one clip broken. This type of trim clip is a 'one shot wonder' and should really be replaced every time the panel is removed.

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
10-05-2012 10:51pm