Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Has anyone tried an SSD for movie storage?
same2you

Has anyone tried an SSD for movie storage?

Hi Everyone,
I'm busy ripping movies for my kids in preparation of my Evoque's delivery in December/January as I am extremely tired of DVD's getting tossed around the cabin (and destroyed). I was wondering has anyone out there tried using an SSD drive (in a 2.5" HDD enclosure) for storage of DivX movies?

I'm looking for about 256GB of storage to house their most common movies, and I obviously want something that will stand up to everyday shocks which really pushes me towards an SSD over a USB stick or a standard HDD. This also allows me to keep the Evoque's internal HDD free for me to upload MP3's.

Has anyone had any success or more importantly, has anyone NOT had any success in utilizing large drives? I saw one post about a 500GB drive, but he was only able to see half his media until he limited the number of files in a folder.

Thanks!
01-11-2012 09:24pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Barton Evoque

RE: Has anyone tried an SSD for movie storage?

I tried a 90gb SSD worked ok.only thing i found the divx quality was not that good, may be i needed to copy at better quality rate.

Evoque My13 TD4 Pure.Orkney Grey with Tech Pack~Spare Wheel~Front Fogs~Privacy Glass~Ebony Interior~Mudflaps~Evoque Footrest~DVD Headrests~Towtrust Towbar.Collected 17th Sept. Very Happy
Also nicely modded Audi TT Roadster.
01-11-2012 10:02pm
Straydox

Yes - I have - had a 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 in a caddy.

It worked well - but there is a bug in the Evoques USB software that means that the car attempts to re-index the folder tree periodically when you are driving and after each ignition start. The larger the storage device is the longer it takes. So in a 4 to 16GB storage range the indexing process is pretty quick - 32GB and upwards it's slow or the index program crashes completely. I've had mine checked out by the dealer who just blamed the media storage as being faulty - despite multiple devices from multiple manufacturers being present. Yeah right, not.

So yes it can be done - is it viable in practice? No, sadly not.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2012 12:26am by Straydox.)
02-11-2012 12:25am
PhilSkill

As above, I have a 500gb Toughdrive and 2 types of 32gb stick, they work but lock up occasionally (4gb or less works faultlessly), its my most disappointing thing with this car, its so tantalisingly close to working...but not. I put my 32gb stick in a Renault Espace and played through the lot without a hiccup.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
02-11-2012 12:40am
cjfp

(02-11-2012 12:40am)PhilSkill Wrote:  As above, I have a 500gb Toughdrive and 2 types of 32gb stick, they work but lock up occasionally (4gb or less works faultlessly), its my most disappointing thing with this car, its so tantalisingly close to working...but not. I put my 32gb stick in a Renault Espace and played through the lot without a hiccup.

Again, something we all hope that LR will be 'big enough' to sort retrospectively. In general I don't have problems with my car but some of these smaller things make me feel like the initial 'faithful' were guinea pigs (but don't then benefit from what they find out for LR).

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
02-11-2012 07:58am
Kentboy

I have a 32 gig stick and it's so frustrating as it takes around 3 min to start playing from starting the car.....every time it's started.

Evoque Prestige SD4, Barolo Black contrast white roof, Ambiance Upholstery with Figured Macassar wood insert, Privecy glass, Lux Pack, 20" Style 6 Alloys, Spare Wheel. Ordered 10th March estimated completion date 6th July.
03-11-2012 02:34pm
Barton Evoque

Time you got a different stick then mine loads within 10 seconds on audio or video.but then is running newer faster software i believe on a my13 car.

Evoque My13 TD4 Pure.Orkney Grey with Tech Pack~Spare Wheel~Front Fogs~Privacy Glass~Ebony Interior~Mudflaps~Evoque Footrest~DVD Headrests~Towtrust Towbar.Collected 17th Sept. Very Happy
Also nicely modded Audi TT Roadster.
03-11-2012 02:47pm