Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Has anyone fitted an aftermarket sunroof?
TomkinsRR

Has anyone fitted an aftermarket sunroof?

Hi guys, just recently bought a 2 year old facelift White dynamic Evoque SD4 with solid roof. It was too good a deal to miss out on, so had to accept it had no panoramic glass roof.

I have always had sunroofs on my cars, and would like to get an aftermarket one fitted. Plus it would also cut down on the tinny noise the car roof makes overhead when it is raining Surprised

I was wondering if there is an aftermarket sunroof that would fit the Evoque
One of those tilt and slide type ones?

Has anyone got one fitted. make and cost?
15-07-2017 09:44am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Andy131

RE: Has anyone fitted an aftermarket sunroof?

The wife convinced me (well insisted actually) that we get one with a panoramic roof, it does make the car a much brighter place to be, as does having the light coloured head lining.
She was worried that it might make the car hot in the sunshine - don't worry madam it's solar glass that will reflect the heat in summer, but allow it through in the winter - I laughed all the way home.

The main reason she wanted a sun roof (which it's not) is to keep the dog cool Laughing

It does worry me when the roof bars are bowing due to the load (well above 75kg), the load does get close to the glass.

We did ask about fitting a proper sun roof to a standard roof - LR do not offer it as an option, and it would invalidate the vehicle warranty, as it effects the structural integrity.
15-07-2017 10:27am
TomkinsRR

I was thinking down the lines of a sunroof make other than the factory fitted one, likely smaller just to go over the driver head area.

Just wondered if anyone has got one fitted, just to see how it looks.
15-07-2017 03:09pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I'm not sure non-panoroofed cars would have the strength in the roof structure for an after market sunroof unless you are thinking of either a pop out glass type or a canvas one. In the early days of Evoque there were reports of the panoramic roof on a few cars cracking due to the racking in the car's body. The tin roof cars have such a thin roof that I think that it might flex too much............. BUT there has to be a first person to try it! Do you have a car scrappies near by where you might find a written off crash damaged Evoque where you can see what there is in the way of strengthening bars above the headlining?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 15-07-2017 04:40pm by XFullFatTim.)
15-07-2017 04:38pm
TomkinsRR

I just thought someone on here had been through the same process, but maybe not if the roof is that 'wobbly'. Nothing is easy nowadays Laughing

What I will do now, is that I will talk to my local sunroof fitter this week, as he has fitted a tilt/removable sunroof to my daughters Citroen C1 last year, but said he could not fit one to my wife's Mitsubishi Colt, due to the same issue of strength.

He must have a list of approved sunroofs per make/model of car. I will find out if any is approved for the Evoque.
15-07-2017 10:28pm
benzina

A lot of people would have loved the option of a smaller conventional glass opening sunroof that you speak of.
See this poll and discussion about this subject i created here.... http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Sunroof-o...pothetical

I remember custom ordering my Evoque before they had landed in Australia, and put to them if they could ask the factory to install this type on my Evoque as a special order, and said i was prepared to pay double the cost.
Factory said NO.
I then said name your price....Factory still said NO, so i got the pano which i love, but boy i miss being able to have the option of opening the roof with the windows up, like i used to do in my Mercedes 300CE-24 pillarless coupe .

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 16-07-2017 02:23pm by benzina.)
16-07-2017 07:25am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Maybe you should consider the convertible next Benzina!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
16-07-2017 11:25am
benzina

Nah, i've never been a convertible type of guy for 2 reasons....

1. The design is aesthetically less pleasing to my eyes, since half the shape is taken away, and with the Evoque in particular, the sloping roof is one of the main bold features to its simple unique beautiful shape.
(For those that do like convertibles though, the Evoque is still a winner for looks compared to other convertibles.)

2. Don't like being fully exposed in a car.

Having said that, i do however love targa tops.....as the basic shape stays relatively in tact. The iconic Porsche 911 targa is a good example of a gorgeous shape.

Now an Evoque Targa!!! Mmmm!

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 16-07-2017 02:25pm by benzina.)
16-07-2017 02:19pm