Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Haldex- Should it be serviced oil + filter when a new rear diff is fitted??
Bazz

Haldex- Should it be serviced oil + filter when a new rear diff is fitted??

New rear Diff -- should the haldex be renewed/serviced at the same time.

Hi,

MY15 Dynamic Lux 2.2 SD4 with 45K miles on clock is being fitted with a new rear diff under warranty. As it appears that the Haldex unit may cause problems with the differentials should this unit be changed or at least serviced with new filter & oil at the same time.

I asked the main dealer how much it would cost to service this item and was told " There is no need to service the Haldex" as it is not mentioned in their manuals etc. Or indeed the handbook. Because of that they do not, & they could not even give me a price to do this job.

Is this correct as it seems that many people are saying that the service interval is approx. 20k miles?

Any info would be much appreciated as the job is being done tomorrow.

Many thanks in advance.

Bazz
03-07-2019 05:32pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chez

RE: Haldex- Should it be serviced oil + filter when a new rear diff is fitted??

Bazz,

Contact bellengineering.co.uk They are the experts in diffs and haldex.
I ordered the haldex service kit for my Evoque after being told by the dealer that it didn't require servicing. Audi replace the oil and filter in theirs. Go figure lol

When my local garage did the kit, the colour of the oil drained out was something else!
£78 for peace of mind, well worth it!
03-07-2019 06:37pm
Bazz

(03-07-2019 06:37pm)chez Wrote:  Bazz,

Contact bellengineering.co.uk They are the experts in diffs and haldex.
I ordered the haldex service kit for my Evoque after being told by the dealer that it didn't require servicing. Audi replace the oil and filter in theirs. Go figure lol

When my local garage did the kit, the colour of the oil drained out was something else!
£78 for peace of mind, well worth it!

Thanks chez,
I have seen their ad & watched the video, this makes JLR look very sad when they say it does not require servicing.
I am still wondering whether this has caused the original diff to fail enough to need replacing. I had hoped it could be done at the same time as the diif was replaced, in the hope that it would ensure that the diff remains in good working order, I did ask the cost for this & was told we do not do this at all, very strange. It surely would make sense as it may have been this that caused the diff to fail.Question

Cheers,

Bazz
03-07-2019 06:49pm
Bazz

I have just talked to "The Man" @ Bell Engineering regarding new diff fitting & Haldex Service I cannot praise him enough for his help & information -- Brilliant.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH 5 stars for BELL ENGINEERING

Bazz
04-07-2019 10:21am
chez

Thanks good news.
What were his recommendations?
04-07-2019 12:09pm
Bazz

[quote='chez' pid='117042' dateline='1562238586']
Thanks good news.
What were his recommendations?
[/quote

He said that when diff is removed the oil will be lost from Haldex pump so it should be replaced.
It would make sense to clean/replace filters at the same time or replace the Haldex unit.
I am still waiting for a call from dealers.

Bazz
04-07-2019 12:17pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

With earlier cars the Haldex fluid was originally “sealed for life” but after a lot of failures JLR decided that life was 3 years......... so on 2011 to 2015 I believe the oil is supposed to be changed every 3 years. I don’t know about later cars with smart disengaging rear drive and how that has affected the Haldex servicing.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
04-07-2019 10:29pm
Bazz

(04-07-2019 10:29pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  With earlier cars the Haldex fluid was originally “sealed for life” but after a lot of failures JLR decided that life was 3 years......... so on 2011 to 2015 I believe the oil is supposed to be changed every 3 years. I don’t know about later cars with smart disengaging rear drive and how that has affected the Haldex servicing.

Hi,
It went in on 3rd July to have a new diff fitted & after a long talk it was agreed that Haldex oil HAD to be changed because it is lost when unit is removed, I then asked if the filters (2off) would be renewed or cleaned. I was told NO.Shocked

So we had a further conversation & I it was reluctantly agreed that they would clean the filter on the end of the unit & renew the cartridge filter in the main body.

My motor came back on the 5th July with a strange request " would I like a test drive??" I thought it was odd but we went for a short drive & as I left home I said " That noise is still there" I was agreed that it was, I was told "I thought you would say that" & my motor was taken away again. I was told it must be a "DUFF DIFF" & it would be changed. By the end of next week 11th July there was many different views from "the diff is OK -to it must be road noise because most Evoque's are noisy" & try it & see. I picked it up on 11th July. We away for the weekend, no great problems apart from stop/start very erratic.

On the 22nd July I got into motor about 10:00 only to find that when I turn the ignition on I had a message "SOS System Limited Functionality" I drove to Gym & when I got into motor about 14:30 I had the same message for about 500yds & then up popped " Restricted Performance" & it went into Limp Mode - I limped home, talked to dealer who said I must contact Land Rover Assist, which I did. He arrived @ 0800:00 the next morning as agreed, I plugged in & said "Turbo not good they will renew & the SOS batteries are short circuit & need renewing. He then arranged a loaner from Enterprise to be taken the Guy Salmon for me.
Whilst on the way to the dealer a NEW MESSAGE popped up it said " 2 Wheel Drive Only. Traction Reduced" It just get betterSad

25 July Still no good news, I phoned yesterday & was told they have found a split intercooler hose, I asked about he other issues & was told "That's all we have found" so I went through the list & am still waiting for a call, I did not mention the "2 Wheel Drive Only " I will see if any thing is mentioned if/when I get a call today.

Bazz
(This post was last modified: 25-07-2019 07:18pm by Bazz.)
25-07-2019 04:19pm
Bazz

Had a call from dealer about 18:00 -- Guess what? They test drove it after fitting a new pipe -- got the same message Shocked & now they have ordered a NEW TURBOTongue Out

Wont be ready till Tuesday 30th. I have told them about the 2 Wheel Drive Only message now & hopefully they will look at this in the meantime. As a new diff has already been fitted it seems that this problem could be the Haldex unit which JLR still maintain NEVER NEEDS SERVICINGTwisted EvilTwisted Evil

I do not understand the logic of JLR at all.
25-07-2019 07:27pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

JLR’s Logic is simple - once the car is delivered to the dealers after build they disown it......... they want nothing to do with it except pay dealers to carry out warranty repairs. Their customer services are terrible. One reason I stopped buying new JLR products last year was poor customer relations (I have to add I have dealt for 30 years with 2 excellent franchised dealers who went the extra mile but hit a brick wall with JLR HQ and management) - my Mini Countryman cost half the price of my last RRS, the dealers have been brilliant, BMW UK could not have been more helpful when I was dealing with them, keen to hold onto a new customer who might return to buy another car I suppose. In the 1990’s LR under Ford and BMW ownership were really good, they had to because they had been owned by BL and while the products were great but build was terrible. They seem to be reverting to the old BL method of management again.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 26-07-2019 08:45pm by XFullFatTim.)
26-07-2019 08:35pm