Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Ground Clearance and Departure Angle - Dynamic
Alex

Ground Clearance and Departure Angle - Dynamic

When I was at the RR Evoque event at the weekend I noticed while comparing the Prestige to the Dynamic, that the Dynamic's side profile had less ground clearance. The reps insisted that they had exactly the same ground clearance but on inspection it looked like the front and rear of the Dynamic had a more square bumper trim with a lower profile (guess for the sportier or aerodynamic look).

I have since seen in the brochure (which is not at hand while typing this post) there is a slight variation in the angle between the Dynamic and Pure/Prestige.

Does anyone know the ground clearance measurement of the Dynamic from the front (ie: floor to front bumper/trim)?

There has been some car reviews recently showing the Evoque off road, were any of these Dynamics or where they a Prestige?

I don’t plan to take my car off road, but none the less it’s still marketed as a 4x4 but would feel slightly hesitant to go off road in case you scrape/damage the front (or perhaps soft roading).

However our drive at home has somewhat of an unusual departure angle and when leaving the drive onto the main road some guests have always scraped their front bumper trim when leaving – our Ford Kuga is fine, and so was a Ford Focus (assume the Dynamic cannot be lower than this).
Appologies for the other posts on same subject which for some reason cannot be accessed (not even by me) - if you know who to contact to delete the thread then please let me know.

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
(This post was last modified: 23-05-2011 02:28pm by Alex.)
23-05-2011 02:17pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blackseries

RE: Ground Clearance and Departure Angle - Dynamic

I'm sure it’s an optical illusion. As far as I'm aware (and saw at the factory) all the Dynamic and Prestige / Pure body bits are interchangeable - if there are any differences between them they are mm's or 1/10's of mm's.

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
23-05-2011 03:46pm
Alex

Really? It's weird from the side the Prestige Coupe definately looked slightly higher and ironically more sportier than the 5 door Dynamic next to it.

I had to ask the reps there (which were useless) but the Dynamic profile was less rounded and more square at the front - so surely this would mean more surface area closer to the floor than say the Prestige or Pure.

On the LR web site car configurator page if you open two separate pages and build one Prestige and one Dynamic with same alloys, then flip between screens you can definitely see a difference in overall shape at the front - Dynamic looking slightly lower.

Is there not a detailed page anywhere that provides these types of specs?

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
23-05-2011 03:54pm
griff

(23-05-2011 03:54pm)Alex Wrote:  Really? It's weird from the side the Prestige Coupe definately looked slightly higher and ironically more sportier than the 5 door Dynamic next to it.

I had to ask the reps there (which were useless) but the Dynamic profile was less rounded and more square at the front - so surely this would mean more surface area closer to the floor than say the Prestige or Pure.

On the LR web site car configurator page if you open two separate pages and build one Prestige and one Dynamic with same alloys, then flip between screens you can definitely see a difference in overall shape at the front - Dynamic looking slightly lower.

Is there not a detailed page anywhere that provides these types of specs?
The explore section of the Evoque site has details - as you can see the dynamic has lower approach angles to the Coupe and Pure.
Look in the section entitled dimensions and capability - link below
Cheers

Evoque - Explore

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
(This post was last modified: 23-05-2011 05:08pm by griff.)
23-05-2011 05:07pm
Kermit

Approach Angle 25º/19º†
Ramp Angle 22º
Departure Angle 33º/30º†
†Dynamic
24-05-2011 12:25am
Alex

Thanks had a look, it's a shame the LR website doesn't visually show the difference between angles. It's just default to the Prestige/Pure geometry so hard to visually see difference between the approach angle of 25/19 degree difference.

Would the Dynamics shorter approach/departure angle constrain it to say just on-road use?

24-05-2011 10:54am
paulus599

(24-05-2011 10:54am)Alex Wrote:  Thanks had a look, it's a shame the LR website doesn't visually show the difference between angles. It's just default to the Prestige/Pure geometry so hard to visually see difference between the approach angle of 25/19 degree difference.

Would the Dynamics shorter approach/departure angle constrain it to say just on-road use?

It is a suprisingly big difference. The departure angle isn't too bad, it's actually better than a Range Rover or Discovery (slightly worse than a Freelander 2). The approach angle is very shallow though. At 19 degrees it is nowhere near the Discovery (36), Freelander (31) and Range Rover (27 max).
How that translates to off road ability is a difficult one. I think in general it will be OK, but anything a little more extreme and you could get into trouble very quickly. I'm sure the off roaders on this forum will know better than me though.
Just done a quick sketch so that you can see the difference in the approach angles (Word doc).
The lower angle is the Dynamic (19), the middle Pure/Prestige (25) and the top angle a Discovery (36).
Hope that helps Smile

Attached File(s)
.doc  approach angles.doc (Size: 23.5 KB / Downloads: 41)

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
Now: Evoque SD4 Coupe
Gone: TTS Roadster
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Mercedes SLK
(This post was last modified: 24-05-2011 03:29pm by paulus599.)
24-05-2011 02:41pm
Kermit

(24-05-2011 10:54am)Alex Wrote:  Would the Dynamics shorter approach/departure angle constrain it to say just on-road use?

No. You will be able to go places you can't in a Golf or Focus. You just won't be able to go places a Disco or Defender can.
25-05-2011 01:19am
Alex

Paulus599 - thanks for the response and drawing, yes the 6 degrees does make quite a difference. Something to consider I guess.

25-05-2011 06:58am