Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Grand Evoque to be a Range Rover Sport Coupe?
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Grand Evoque to be a Range Rover Sport Coupe?

Read about it here:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-ca...get-bmw-x6

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
26-03-2016 10:31pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BA74

RE: Grand Evoque to be a Range Rover Sport Coupe?

This sounds a lot like the Range Rover that will bring me back!
About the size of an X4 with the power of a Sport/X6, I'm intrigued...

Gone - Range Rover Evoque - Si4 Pure - 5 Door Fuji White
27-03-2016 11:08am
XFullFatTim

And no 4 pot diesels so that means SDv6, SDv8 and the V6 S/C petrols and a 5.0lt V8 S/C petrol.................... Start saving now!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
27-03-2016 08:18pm
BA74

Aussies aren't very big fans of diesels, will be looking at the SC V6... Timing said it would be launched 2017, does that mean the concept or the car for sale?

28-03-2016 12:29am
BA74

This article infers that the Sport Coupe is sized closer to an X4, very interested to see images/specs...

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/28/range...4-fighter/

30-03-2016 10:06pm
Clip

I don't understand? Why does JLR need that when it has the FPace? And please lets not make any references to the X6, arguably the most ridiculous vehicle of the past 20 years with its inferior specs, a small interior, and the fact that it looks like it’s been whacked with a very big ugly stick.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2016 12:13am by Clip.)
01-04-2016 12:07am
XFullFatTim

It isn't JLR that needs it, after all they already have it! It is LR that needs to have something to compete with F-Pace in a small niche. It just so happens that the companies have the same owner. There are people who own Land Rover products who wouldn't be seen dead in a pipe and slippers Jaguar even though their view of Jaguar is somewhat out of date so an LR version of the F Pace would cater to them and a few others who don't want the stigma that comes with owning an X6. Also despite all that has been said about X6, it has certainly sold well for BMW.

I recently read somewhere that in the X4, BMW have actually succeeded in styling a car more unpleasant to look at and practical than the X6!

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2016 08:37am by XFullFatTim.)
01-04-2016 08:34am
coopak

(01-04-2016 08:34am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  ...the F Pace would cater to them and a few others who don't want the stigma that comes with owning an X6.

What's the X6 stigma?
01-04-2016 08:44am
Clip

(01-04-2016 08:44am)coopak Wrote:  What's the X6 stigma?
ummm, I'll quote a few others in the industry:
Things have gotten so bad that there’s kind of a running understanding among modern car enthusiasts that BMW has turned to crap. It’s like when you’re on a boat, and you’re rapidly taking on water. Nobody says you’re taking on water, but it’s plain to see: there you are, in the middle of the ocean, with minnows swimming around your ankles. Essentially, the problems are as follows: the cars are bloated and the segments make no sense.

It looks like someone shot a 6-series full of bull testosterone and then made it balance on rollerskates, and has the subtlety of Keith Chegwin off his face on cocaine. It does precisely nothing that any other BMW car in the range doesn’t do better – as if the people planning the car have not looked up from their welding long enough to ask the question: ‘who the hell are we building this thing for anyway?’ Let’s face it, if the X6 were a person, it would be the city banker whose hobby was kicking tramps to death in handmade brogues – it is two fingers to the credit crunch, practicality, the environment, poor people and rationality.

Then there's the X4:
The X4 is a machine that’s deeply unsettling to my retinas and one whose actual purpose will always escape me. I reckon that a bunch of designers were sat in BMW’s factory cafe one day and mulled over the potential to plug the most minuscule of gaps in the company’s product range. They perhaps realised that what the world was most desperate for was an X6 that looked like it had been shrunk in the wash – you know, one that might appeal to potential 3- or 4-Series owners with small-man ­syndrome. It’s quite possibly the most pointless car that I have driven so far this year.
01-04-2016 11:50am
BA74

And despite these close minded and opinionated reviews they sell and sell well enough that Mercedes and now Range Rover are copying them which is as they say the best form of flattery!

They are a niche vehicle but niche vehicles bring incremental sales. Not everyone wants a station wagon on steroids...

01-04-2016 08:57pm