Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Got to drive Si4
alsaamike

Got to drive Si4

Dealer had 3 Evoques on hand yesterday (all auto tranny).
Red prestige 4dr w.tan leather, Colima dynamic 2dr w.black leather/green inserts and Black pure 4dr w.black leather.
All with 19"s.
Got to drive black pure.
Additional to other observations already seen of this forum.
A/C is good enough for Texas - it was about 110f and blazing sunshine, and prior to test drive the Evoque had been sitting in the sun.
Lack of height adjustment for passenger seat was a let down.
Footwell felt odd. In these left hand drive models the gas pedal seems very far to the right, especially relative to the center console. Left leg space is limited. I'm 5'10" and could not comfortably stetch out my left leg (I sat in RRS after the test drive and it felt significantly better).
In bright sunshine the black glossy exterior dynamic trim is really, really shiny. Some may love it, but I would have preferred a satin finish.
The interior of the prestige is outstanding, so much so that the dash topper on the dynamic was a little bit disappointing.
Very impressed overall with materials.
Found a neat little drop down doc. holder in the roof of the glove box.
Over the shoulder view when changing lanes is much, much better than I would have expected.
Only driving impression that I've not previously read is that the 2.0 Si4 while performing very well, is not overpowered by any means. I'm comparing it against our Mini Cooper S (plan is to replace this with Evoque), and F25 BMW X3 35i.
Sounds like U.S. deliveries will start by November.
Only difficulty is trying to decide on prestige or dynamic, as I cannot get all my wish list items in either selection.
Probably the highest priority is height adjustment for the passenger seat. SWMBO felt the fixed seat was too low, and I felt it was too high. Only the prestige had that feature. Surprised that the dynamic 2dr did not.
Wish the steering wheel had a bit more substance to it (the Msport wheel in the X3 is just about perfect imho).
Also, the black pure had mudflaps fitted and imho they look great. The little flares on the rear wheel arches look like they are asking for mudflaps!
Trying to figure out how to get camera phone pics to post. E-mailed them to myself, but can't seem to copy them or attach them across to the forum.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2011 06:25pm by alsaamike.)
05-08-2011 04:47pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pureevoque

RE: Got to drive Si4

good write up, thanks for the comments, more useful info than some magazine reviews!

ed4 Pure 5 Dr, Fuji, Xenons, Front Fogs, Power mirrors & tailgate, 20" Style 6. Ordered 290611 Delivered 090312
05-08-2011 05:35pm
CSJ

Thanks for a great write up.

How big a difference was there between the interiors of the Dynamic and the Prestige, I know the Dynamic dash is rubberised plastic but did you find the quality that bad?

Thanks for the advice as am still deciding between Dynamic and Prestige.

On order: Volvo XC60 T5 Inscription Pro

Current: Porsche Macan, Pebble Interior, Volcano Grey, Bose, other extras which cost lots and should be standard

Gone:
BMW X6 m diesel with BMW exclusive interior
Evoque Dynamic Orkney, Accolade Dynamic Plus Sports Interior (Ivory)
Evoque. Coupe, Dynamic, Fuji, Pursuit (x2)
Scirocco 2.0 GT DSG, Black, Black Lthr, 19" Luganos
TT Mk 2, Grey, Audi Exclusive Int
SLK Mk 2, Blk, Beige Lthr
TT Mk 1, Blue, Silver Lthr
TT Mk 1, Silver, Grey Lthr
05-08-2011 06:26pm
alsaamike

Hope thes works. Pics from camera phone of the mudflaps on an Evoque.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2011 10:05pm by alsaamike.)
05-08-2011 06:37pm
vision*R

Dynamic is not that bad compared to other car brands, until you see the Prestige.
A full leather dashboard is not very common in this class, so it's one of these things that make the Evoque really stand out for me and justify the price of the whole thing...

Prestige TD4 5d / Fuji White / Tech pack / Parallel park / Pano / Order 26/01/2011 / Build 13/12/11 / Arrival 04/01/2012
05-08-2011 06:39pm
alsaamike

(05-08-2011 06:39pm)vision*R Wrote:  Dynamic is not that bad compared to other car brands, until you see the Prestige.
A full leather dashboard is not very common in this class, so it's one of these things that make the Evoque really stand out for me and justify the price of the whole thing...

Exactly right. Unfortunately the first Evoque I saw was a Prestige, and while the dash topper is fine in the Dynamic, it is not dramatic as the leather in the Prestige. If you get to see different Evoque models together, I would suggest checking out the Prestige after the others.
05-08-2011 06:47pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

If you still want a Dynamic and a leather topper then there is the option of the Dynamic plus which has the full on leather like the Prestige

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
05-08-2011 07:13pm
CSJ

Guess I just dont like the front seats in the Dynamic Plus so will either have to compromise on exterior styling or interior, I guess like loads of people I just wish they did the prestige interior in the dynamic!

I may have to go the extra mile and pay for the Magneride in the Prestige but its all getting expensive!

Will make decision early next week!

On order: Volvo XC60 T5 Inscription Pro

Current: Porsche Macan, Pebble Interior, Volcano Grey, Bose, other extras which cost lots and should be standard

Gone:
BMW X6 m diesel with BMW exclusive interior
Evoque Dynamic Orkney, Accolade Dynamic Plus Sports Interior (Ivory)
Evoque. Coupe, Dynamic, Fuji, Pursuit (x2)
Scirocco 2.0 GT DSG, Black, Black Lthr, 19" Luganos
TT Mk 2, Grey, Audi Exclusive Int
SLK Mk 2, Blk, Beige Lthr
TT Mk 1, Blue, Silver Lthr
TT Mk 1, Silver, Grey Lthr
05-08-2011 07:25pm
mark_n

My understanding from others here is that if the dash top is not to your liking in a Dynamic, you can replace it with a Prestige one, assuming a colour match is available of course. I agree the Dynamic+ sports seats are pretty ghastly. For me, having Magnaride bundled in with the car is more important. My 3 other cars have adaptive damping and I wouldn't be without it. Given the extended range of operation of the Evoque, it's simply not possible to choose one damper setting which is an acceptable compromise.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
05-08-2011 08:42pm