Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Got some shine today
QUATTROMAN

Got some shine today

Started detailing the rear end today -Only took 3 hours but I think its going to look good when finished
Slippery when wet.
Started by using sonus paint cleaner then two passes with Carlack 68 followed by Carlack Long life protection (sealant) amd then did all fou wheels with Chem Guys wheel protection.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Fuji White 5 door Dynamic SD4 AUTO +LUX PACK + Adaptive Xenons -Built 22-12- 2011 - delivered 12-1-12
(This post was last modified: 22-01-2012 09:15pm by QUATTROMAN.)
22-01-2012 05:48pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WB
WB

RE: Got some shine today

looking good - have you found any "thin" paint issues with yours?
22-01-2012 10:57pm
Rootsboy

Nice! have done mine with Carlack 68 NSC and Finish Kare 1000p. i also want to get some Carlack 68 LLS to add in the middle of them two, the next time i do it...

i also have a question about the plastics and the kind of paint coverage you have on your car, do you also have that orange peel effect to the front and rear bumpers??

SD4 Prestige 5 Door Manual. Fuji White. 20" Style 6 Wheels. Vibe-Ebony Interior and Header. Panoramic Roof. AD. Privacy and Solar Attenuating Glass. Surround Camera, Heated Seats. Pollution Sensor. Rear Vents. 825W Sound and a Spare Wheel
23-01-2012 11:08am
QUATTROMAN

(22-01-2012 10:57pm)WB Wrote:  looking good - have you found any "thin" paint issues with yours?

Don't seem to have the thin paint issues that others on the forum have had.
I do have a small blemish on the small panel, just below the right hand fog light, but it is hardly noticeable and certainly does'nt show by taking a photo.

i also have a question about the plastics and the kind of paint coverage you have on your car, do you also have that orange peel effect to the front and rear bumpers??
[/quote]

Orange peel is there if you look for it but only on vertical panels ie doors but not apparent above the waist line and bonnet, It could be a white paint issue as we have it on the Scirocco -Metalics seem to fair better with regards to orange peel effect.
As for the white painted plastics, generally the front is a very good finish, and I only spotted one blemish on the rear as mentioned in earlier post.
The Evoque got blasted in road /wheel spray from an HGV today which left me a bit naffed off to say the least, but at least it will be easy to hose off now.
I will hopefully resume the detailing and sealing of the paint next weekend.

Fuji White 5 door Dynamic SD4 AUTO +LUX PACK + Adaptive Xenons -Built 22-12- 2011 - delivered 12-1-12
(This post was last modified: 23-01-2012 06:18pm by QUATTROMAN.)
23-01-2012 06:05pm
dandavis1

I always thought Auto Glym or Mer was the top stuff. What's carlack and the other brands you mention? Are they better?
01-02-2012 06:31pm
THEMACS

(01-02-2012 06:31pm)dandavis1 Wrote:  I always thought Auto Glym or Mer was the top stuff. What's carlack and the other brands you mention? Are they better?

These are ok off the shelf stuff but you can seriously go to town on waxes!!

Zymol and Swisswax are very high end and can be Seriously Expensive, and I Mean £000's for a pot of Wax!!!

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
01-02-2012 11:37pm
doug

(01-02-2012 06:31pm)dandavis1 Wrote:  I always thought Auto Glym or Mer was the top stuff. What's carlack and the other brands you mention? Are they better?

Welcome dandavis1,
Carlack 68 & Nano are good, better than the high street products. But there are better products out there for just over the cost of carlack.

What colour paint,is it garaged,how often do you wash & wax your car. All these factors matter when choosing a sealant & wax.
Let me know & I will come up with a list of products suitable.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
02-02-2012 12:05am
RacingSnake

(01-02-2012 06:31pm)dandavis1 Wrote:  I always thought Auto Glym
I'm less clear on Mer, but AutoGlym has a mild cutting agent in it, prolonged and continued use will thin the paint.
For the off the shelf stuff, I don't think you can beat Meguiars. Cool

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
02-02-2012 08:38am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
doug

(02-02-2012 08:38am)RacingSnake Wrote:  I'm less clear on Mer, but AutoGlym has a mild cutting agent in it, prolonged and continued use will thin the paint.
For the off the shelf stuff, I don't think you can beat Meguiars. Cool

Wax in a liquid paste form that leaves a White dust behind after removing it from your paint work will have "chalk" added to it. As racingsnake said, this is a mild cutting agent.
Chalk has been used in waxs for some time now & to the untrained eye will help mask any small Swirl marks, until the next time you wash your car & there back again.
I'm not knocking the AutoGlym SRP, it's a good product that's been voted a winner by a car magazine. But that chalk dust would drive me mad trying to remove it from dark paint work.Twisted Evil

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
02-02-2012 10:27am
PhilSkill

I've used Mer on my cars in the past and still have a tub, it does give a good beading effect and lasts a long while, but it has the same white chalk effect that can go really hard and is a pain to remove, also every stone chip shows up white on a dark car.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
02-02-2012 02:59pm