Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
@@ Got my Car nicked.... but theres good news
dwtk81

So to cut a long story short. My house was broken into and they took the keys for my beloved Evoque . Landrover were super unhelpful in tracking the car. But I took a punt on renewing my expired Incontrol app and got a ping on parked location. Cops were quick to respond and I got the car back with damages and random parts of car removed like overhead console etc. ( Must have been searching for tracker ). Cant talk too much about as investigation is still ongoing but I had an integrated Dash cam from AliExpress which they didn’t clock . Worth the investment guys. Now I am paranoid about the car being nicked so after some research plan on doing the following security upgrades and wanted the community input on my ideas and any install. The below is based on my car being an 2015 Evoque and not a Ferrari so types of criminals are likely to be chancers rather than proper professionals with all the right gear and know-how.

Level 1 security upgrade - £150
After some research, I purchased a CAN BUS firewall. AMPIRE WFS400. You all will know this as a Ghost 2 pincode type immobiliser. Having contacted authorised seller it supports my Evoque and requires splicing of a couple of CAN cables which I plan to do deep into Dash.

If you guys know of any covert places to tap the 12+ perm, Ground and ignition live please let me know.
I want to stay away from battery and fuse boxes as the thieves had already got to those locations and pulled a bunch of stuff.

Level 2 security upgrade ( Backup ) Tracker - £50 + Relay block £15
I’m also going to add the REWIRE SECURITY DB1-LITE plus REWIRE Ignition replay block. This is so in case they get around the CAN BUS firewall somehow. This way I can track the car and also remotely via app trigger the ignition replay block .

Now my plan is to cut one the start / stop button wires and place the relay in-between. The reason Im thinking of this location is that is a pain to get into and not somewhere they will think off quickly. What do you guys think. If any one knows colour of wire to cut to do this please let me know. ( I believe its brown ) or a reason not to do this please let me know[size=medium].

I hope to do a video install of all once I have confirmed install locations for the community. Video link will probably be by request for people really wanting to install extra security as I don’t want thieves to be able to view.
07-09-2020 12:00pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: @@ Got my Car nicked.... but theres good news

Welcome to the forum, sorry that theft of the car brought you here.
You don’t say which year or model your Evoque is which would be helpful. Also if it had keyless entry were you storing your keys in a Faraday mesh pouch? Had you taken any other security precautions like a disks or or pedal cage. One other thing, if your car is an older Evoque to you still have it main dealer serviced or is it serviced by a local garage. I ask this because there have been a few updates to the security systems of all LR products in the last couple of years and these were only available through main dealers at service time as software upgrades. If it is an Evoque2 2020MY then this is not great news as the security systems in the newest models is supposed to be extremely good. I have a New Defender and on it, and I suspect future new LR vehicles, the security system is now an optional extra that has to be specced at order. Possibly because too many of the cheapo insurers require owners to fit the insurers favourite brand of tracker in addition to the JLR system.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2020 01:56pm by XFullFatTim.)
07-09-2020 01:55pm
dwtk81

Hi it was a 2015 . They broke in and took the keys so more house security problem . I’m doing a security upgrade as stated above will be back with install video for those interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-09-2020 04:43pm
ArriusRR

Hi
I am new to the forum too and I JUST bought a RR Vogue SDV8 SE with a colour I love but sticks out like a sore thumb.
I've been reading on some stuff about security and theft after I've decided to buy it but everything I read makes me even more paranoid.
Some box that is used to nick the keyless cars without even stealing the car keys and how easy it is to break into the new cars with these systems.

That's why I joined the forums actually and a couple more RR forums. I am looking for some advice and how people deal with their security.
I have had my eye on a GPS tracker, which coincidentally also from the company you listed(Rewire Security). Have you managed to buy and install their tracker?
I am planning to phone them next week about https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/cat-s5-...ps-tracker and see how it goes.

I would appreciate it if you could provide some feedback though if you are using their trackers. ,

P.S. For some reason I can't post replies or post all. If this manages to go through, I will edit the message since there is no way to report this issue on the forums.
Sorry about the theft btw
18-09-2020 11:34am
XFullFatTim

Arrius, until you find a tracker you like I would suggest going to Amazon and buying two Faraday Pouches to keep your keys in ( £6.99 for two!) and for visible in car security then a “Stoplok” or “Discloc” from Halfords

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
18-09-2020 07:03pm
dwtk81

(18-09-2020 11:34am)ArriusRR Wrote:  Hi
I am new to the forum too and I JUST bought a RR Vogue SDV8 SE with a colour I love but sticks out like a sore thumb.
I've been reading on some stuff about security and theft after I've decided to buy it but everything I read makes me even more paranoid.
Some box that is used to nick the keyless cars without even stealing the car keys and how easy it is to break into the new cars with these systems.

That's why I joined the forums actually and a couple more RR forums. I am looking for some advice and how people deal with their security.
I have had my eye on a GPS tracker, which coincidentally also from the company you listed(Rewire Security). Have you managed to buy and install their tracker?
I am planning to phone them next week about https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/cat-s5-...ps-tracker and see how it goes.

I would appreciate it if you could provide some feedback though if you are using their trackers. ,

P.S. For some reason I can't post replies or post all. If this manages to go through, I will edit the message since there is no way to report this issue on the forums.
Sorry about the theft btw

I fitted an ampire canbus immobilizer. If you don’t want to get your hands dirty get a ghost 2 immobilizer as they come and fit for you . You really want to stop them taking the car in the first place . If you do get one of these fitted it will mean even if they clone the key they won’t be able to start the car unless they know pin code . I would look it up on YouTube . As stated above I have a rewire tracker also with ignition block that can triggered by the app and stop them starting the car.

https://youtu.be/SCwLVpf41Eg

18-09-2020 09:48pm
ArriusRR

(18-09-2020 07:03pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Arrius, until you find a tracker you like I would suggest going to Amazon and buying two Faraday Pouches to keep your keys in ( £6.99 for two!) and for visible in car security then a “Stoplok” or “Discloc” from Halfords

I will definitely get the pouches and check the Amazon, thanks for the advice. One thing I keep reading is Stoplok and Disklok isn't really stopping thieves which is one of the reasons why I ask people here who use them.

I talked to the guys at Rewire btw, they were very helpful and gave me a lot of information.

I am considering their S5 but having it installed is another story with the virus and all.

(18-09-2020 09:48pm)dwtk81 Wrote:  I fitted an ampire canbus immobilizer. If you don’t want to get your hands dirty get a ghost 2 immobilizer as they come and fit for you . You really want to stop them taking the car in the first place . If you do get one of these fitted it will mean even if they clone the key they won’t be able to start the car unless they know pin code . I would look it up on YouTube . As stated above I have a rewire tracker also with ignition block that can triggered by the app and stop them starting the car.

https://youtu.be/SCwLVpf41Eg

Rewire S5 and S5+ have remote/auto immobiliser AND driver ID tags along with everything else which is one of the main reasons I consider it to be my main alarm system.
I will check the separate immobilizer devices though, thanks for the tip, much appreciated.
(This post was last modified: 23-09-2020 10:09am by ArriusRR.)
23-09-2020 10:06am
XFullFatTim

Stop lock/Disclok won’t stop theft, they will deter it because the thieves have to damage the vehicle to get one off or they have to take an electric grinder to the Loc drawing attention to what they are doing. If your car didn’t have an airbag on the steering wheel boss I would have been recommending fitting an Optimil removable steering wheel and boss lock like many owners if the previous generation of Defender owners now do. None of the visible detergents will stop a determined thief or someone with a flatbed truck with a high capacity hoist from disappearing your car in the night. If you have the car parked on your drive then CCTV mounted high enough that the view cannot be blocked or the camera cover and PIR activated lighting are also recommended deterrents

(This post was last modified: 23-09-2020 07:04pm by XFullFatTim.)
23-09-2020 07:02pm
ArriusRR

(23-09-2020 07:02pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Stop lock/Disclok won’t stop theft, they will deter it because the thieves have to damage the vehicle to get one off or they have to take an electric grinder to the Loc drawing attention to what they are doing. If your car didn’t have an airbag on the steering wheel boss I would have been recommending fitting an Optimil removable steering wheel and boss lock like many owners if the previous generation of Defender owners now do. None of the visible detergents will stop a determined thief or someone with a flatbed truck with a high capacity hoist from disappearing your car in the night. If you have the car parked on your drive then CCTV mounted high enough that the view cannot be blocked or the camera cover and PIR activated lighting are also recommended deterrents

Got it, many thanks for the advice. The driveway is a bit cramped but I will try to fit CCTV somewhere that can't be fiddled with.

Hopefully nothing of the sort happens and I get to drive my RR in peace, just beautiful machines
25-09-2020 07:48am
XFullFatTim

Have you asked the owners on the dedicated Range Rover forum FullFatRR.com what they do?

26-09-2020 08:27am