Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Going to look at a Evoque today
wilbur507

Going to look at a Evoque today

Hi all,

I am going to look for my first Evoque today, very excited.
Looks like I can afford a 14/64-15/64 and if I am lucky a 15/15.
Are there any major reasons I should opt for a 15/15 over a 14/64 -15/64 are there features/issues I should be aware of?
05-09-2015 08:19am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Going to look at a Evoque today

Welcome to the forum Wilbur.
I hope the following helps you. I have owned 2 Evoques since 2011 - the first was a much much better car than the 2nd which was a 2014MY car that drove me round the twist with all its issues and led to me selling the car after 12 months and replacing it with an RRS2.

Make sure that you get to test drive any Evoque over less than smooth roads - many suffer from shoddy interior assembly and have loads of rattles and squeaks. Many don't have them but it is very frustrating trying to get them fixed which often introduces more of them!
2014MY was the start of the 9 Speed Auto so check if your test drive is in a later 9 speeder over a 6 speed auto. There's nothing wrong with either, but the 9 speeder has smother changes and is slightly more economical on fuel. There was a software upgrade to the 9 Speed in October 2014 that in some cases destroyed DPF's and ruined the lovely imperceptable shifts to make them coarse - it also caused the car to pull away in 1st gear when it was meant to pull away in 2nd or even 3rd gear, 1st causes the engine to race up to 3500/4000 rpm on pull away before it shifts up. Avoid any cars that do that as they require a further remap of the gearbox ECU and possibly a replacement DPF sensor or even DPF. which would still be covered by the factory warranty. Also if you are mostly commuting in the car consider an Si4 with the petrol engine as DPF's seem to clog up very easily on cars used for commuting at low speed. Also if you can get the car up on a ramp and check if it has been offroad. Evoque is very capable offroad but has quite a small ground clearance so the underside will have scuffs and scratches on it..........
InControl Secure and Remote came in in later cars, the original system was very basic and cannot be upgrdaed to the later versions with apps ((not worth having though!) make sure that the ownership details get transferred across, same with any servicing pack that might have been taken out on the car. If you are buying from an LR make certain that they remove the previous owner's access to the Incontrol Secure. I haven't owned my last Evoque for 6 months but I can still track it and see where it is parked etc which isn't very clever, but it needs action by the dealer not the owner to cancel it.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2015 09:48am by XFullFatTim.)
05-09-2015 09:39am
wilbur507

Thanks a lot, looks like I need to get a late 14/64-15 to be safe then. very helpful....
05-09-2015 12:00pm
Archiebob

Good advice not to buy a diesel for short journey driving..as in common with all modern Diesel engines with DPFs they need to be driven hard for 20 mls+ weekly to clear those carbon deposits from the dpf.
Along with other makes some pre 2010 Ravs suffered particularly from carbon build up in the EGR leading eventually to cylinder head gasket failure,which to be fair to Toyota they did sort out FOC.
Many experienced mechanics claim using low grade supermarket fuel and not using low ash oil,as specified, contributes greatly to this problem.
I've only ever used shell Vpower diesel in my T180,and change the oil at every 5k. It may cost a few pence more but if it prolongs the life of the engine I think it's worth the cost..mines still going strong on 71k mls with no major issues so far.
IMO Unless you cover a lot of miles per year I'd go for a petrol every time.

Evoque sd4 dynamic coupe 2014
05-09-2015 11:19pm
J77

5 of my 7 LRs have had DPFs, my annual mileage is 8,000, never had a problem with any of them, no reduced power, no lights on dash. I use bog standard shell diesel, I've yet to see any benefits from the V-Power stuff.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
07-09-2015 01:49pm
XFullFatTim

I use supermarket diesel 90% of the time, my DPF problems were not caused by fuel though they were software related............ I don't commute in my car and rarely drive in stop start town driving so it's running well warmed up and at decent speeds so it does the DPF regeneration silently and smell-lessly

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
07-09-2015 02:47pm
Tony

(07-09-2015 01:49pm)J77 Wrote:  5 of my 7 LRs have had DPFs, my annual mileage is 8,000, never had a problem with any of them, no reduced power, no lights on dash. I use bog standard shell diesel, I've yet to see any benefits from the V-Power stuff.

Likewise, 3 LRs with DPFs up to 8000 mile pa and no issues, I cannot get supermarket fuel, its a 125 mile trip so I am forced to use whatever Scottish Fuels import to the island - most likely tractor fuel!!

When we lived down saarrff I did try V-Power over four tanks fulls, no difference in peformance, economy, smoothness etc. it just cost more!

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2015 10:27am by Tony.)
07-09-2015 06:29pm
Vanguard

We went to have a look at a brand new Evoque today as well, on an pre-arranged test drive. Car drove fine until we hit the motorway and accelerated up to motorway speed... except it didn't......accelerate that is.

Turns out car was in some sort of lock down mode and could not be fixed until LR supply a special code. Wife who was driving was absolutely terrified as driving on a motorway at 35mph with trucks and buses hammering up towards us at high speed almost turned into an accident more than once.

Had to turn around at the next junction and return to the garage with hazards on with wife driving, shaking and practically in tears. I couldn't take over as not covered to drive it.

Has virtually put her off the Evoque and probably Landrovers in general. A brief apology when we handed back the car after 15 mins is all we've had so far. Absolutely discraceful that they would allow this to happen particularly as we were told it already happened to another car a few days ago. Anyway, clearly not a big enough issue for anyone to make a formal apology or check up on us so doubt we'll be back.
12-09-2015 02:03pm
XFullFatTim

Vanguard welcome to the forum, sorry to read of your issues with the demo car, please go and try another demo car. Often this power restriction mode can be reset by switching off the ignition and leaving it off for 3-4 minutes and restarting the engine. Can appreciate that your wife must have been really frightened as I also had a similar experience last November on the M74 where there is no hard shoulder and trucks are not supposed to use the outside lane................. I also agree that the salesperson should not have taken this incident lightly and I would suggest that you contact Pete@Land Rover who is our contact in customer services and make a strong complaint and request to be recommended to another dealership to bring a car to your house for a full day test drive. Most LR dealers will happily let you have one for longer than the usual 30 minutes test drive. If you have no luck then I suggest that you contact one of the two dealerships that sponsor the forum for a test drive.

12-09-2015 04:37pm
Vanguard

(12-09-2015 04:37pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Vanguard welcome to the forum, sorry to read of your issues with the demo car, please go and try another demo car. Often this power restriction mode can be reset by switching off the ignition and leaving it off for 3-4 minutes and restarting the engine. Can appreciate that your wife must have been really frightened as I also had a similar experience last November on the M74 where there is no hard shoulder and trucks are not supposed to use the outside lane................. I also agree that the salesperson should not have taken this incident lightly and I would suggest that you contact Pete@Land Rover who is our contact in customer services and make a strong complaint and request to be recommended to another dealership to bring a car to your house for a full day test drive. Most LR dealers will happily let you have one for longer than the usual 30 minutes test drive. If you have no luck then I suggest that you contact one of the two dealerships that sponsor the forum for a test drive.

Thanks. Yes agree with everything you have said. A very poor performance from a dealer where I have previously bought other LRs. I think my complaint will not be confined to customer services but the dealership / franchise owners also as I think they they need procedures in place to avoid a repetition where next time it could lead to an unfortunate accident. To my mind it is sad to see that having heard nothing from them all day they clearly saw this as a minor problem when in reality it was downright dangerous.
12-09-2015 05:02pm