Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Getting UK spec sat nav to work in Thailand
daveinthailand

I have a similar issue as another thread. I have a UK spec Evoque out here in Thailand and the Sat Nav does not work. The local importers are next to useless as are JLR and all I get is "it does not work in Thailand" !!

Would appreciate any support on this matter please as currently although I have a Garmin unit It really annoys me that the the cars built-in nav unit can not work.

regards
13-01-2014 03:08am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bowl

RE: Getting UK spec sat nav to work in Thailand

I'm sorry but there is no way you can get it to work in Thailand since LR, unlike Mercedes-Benz, doesn't have the map required.

Evoque SD4 Coupé Dynamic, Fuji White, Santoriny Pano roof, Lux pack, RSE, style 8 wheels, along with everything else.
13-01-2014 11:12pm
daveinthailand

(13-01-2014 11:12pm)Bowl Wrote:  I'm sorry but there is no way you can get it to work in Thailand since LR, unlike Mercedes-Benz, doesn't have the map required.

Thanks but quite amasing that that you can not get a map especially as the head units are manufactured "next door" in China and there are maps for Malysia and Singapore
14-01-2014 02:56am
DannyWoz

Only flaw in the arguement is the fact that the majority of technology tends to be produced in asia, however this has no relevance on the the data put on to the devices or the intended markets of the devices.

Just production of the sat nav takes place in a country, the map data is bought from other companies so much is dependent on whether the map data provider currently maps the region. Like ALL vehicle manufacturers they purchase the map data from another company and while they all seem to be improving the systems year on year, they will never be as good as sat navs produced by companies who sole product is sat navs such as TomTom.

Maybe it really is time they negotiated some kind of deal with TomTom to have their systems built in.
15-01-2014 01:50am
daveinthailand

TOMTOM does not have the digital mapping data rights in Thailand, ESRI/Garmin does so it is a shame JLR did not use Garmin
15-01-2014 03:12am
sciack

Dave,

I also live in Thailand and have an evoque here. I have been told by a manager of Land Rover in Wireless road in Bangkok that this year probably the new map will come for the new evoque, he told me that probably they will be able to upload into the old ones as well as it has happened before something similar with Freelander if I remember correctly. So hold on!
15-01-2014 02:06pm
thelastnat

Please let me know of any updates (im also in thailand)
11-04-2014 02:52pm