Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Geneva Motor Show Observations
Blackseries

Geneva Motor Show Observations

First thing to mention is that the Land Rover stand was changed from the press day to the public days.

On the main show stand itself there was only one car open to the Public, a Prestige Coupe in White with an Element interior. I arrived as the show opened and left as they were putting on the sheets – this car had a queue at it the entire time – it was mobbed. There was also a Colima Lime Dynamic with black roof and black wheels on the turn-table – it looked absolutely fantastic. Much less Lime than in the photos and certainly a lot less lime than in the video of the car crossing the bridge. I’m sure in UK daylight it would look paler still.

For all the non-Swiss that had placed orders (or could show they had left a deposit) and for prospective Swiss customers there was the “Evoque Lounge” – an invitation only area. In the lounge was a Pure Red 5 door with Element interior, a Prestige 5 door Barolo Black with Ambiance interior and a Dynamic Coupe Red with Verve interior (plus Black roof with Panoramic Glass Roof). The "Lounge" was very atmospheric (gloomy) and photos taken in there looked rubbish – the cynic in me think that was done deliberately. Probably the most striking thing was the difference in the age range of the people outside queuing to get in the White Coupe of which 95% were under 35 – and the group in the “Evoque Lounge” where most (I’m being kind here) were over 50. It was nice to watch a couple of Swiss couples spec their cars up but if Land Rover thought by offering Designer interiors its customers would be more adventurous they may be rather disappointed – both went for Black with Black interiors (1x 5 door & 1x Coupe)! I would really like to see a dark coloured Evoque outside in daylight because in photos and in the moody Lounge lighting it really didn’t look that special – you just couldn’t see any of the design features. The Red Dynamic did look great (the best) but I don’t want an all black interior (again!) & I’ve had my fingers burnt with red leather interiors before. I bought an Audi TT Black with Red leather interior and when it was 2 years old I came to sell it and it was a real struggle – the vast majority of people that loved the red interior couldn’t afford the car and those that could afford it didn’t like a red interior. I know that this may seem like an over generalisation but from my experience people happy to spend £25 -£30K on a used car are really quite conservative. I know you shouldn’t buy a car completely thinking about when you come to sell it but the TT and the FFRRSC have made me warier than I used to be. Having been to Geneva I’m still no closer to choosing my specs.

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
13-03-2011 02:55pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vision*R

RE: Geneva Motor Show Observations

Any chance you can describe the Element interior or compare to the Ambiance colour?
Is it really grey or rather white? I'm still afraid it will be too pale and pick up dirt quickly.

I noticed Fuji White + Element interior is possible but not the best choice according to the designers. Did you like it?
13-03-2011 03:57pm
Blackseries

(13-03-2011 03:57pm)vision*R Wrote:  Any chance you can describe the Element interior or compare to the Ambiance colour?
Is it really grey or rather white? I'm still afraid it will be too pale and pick up dirt quickly.

Element vs Ambiance - Is it really grey or rather white? The bottom line is they are both very light. Element is very light grey - almost white and Ambiance is White / Cream. The difference in the look is just as much down to the contrasting carpets. Bare in mind the 3 door Element had had people getting in and out of it CONTINUOUSLY for 8 days by the time I got there and yes the leading edge of the seat showed discolouration - but I recon it would have cleaned off. To be honest I was amazed how such a light interior had stood up. I would say that Element is the cooler interior but goes better with White than the warmer Ambiance interior. Just my opinion.
Hope that helps.

(13-03-2011 03:57pm)vision*R Wrote:  I noticed Fuji White + Element interior is possible but not the best choice according to the designers. Did you like it?

Let’s put it this way why would Land Rover chose this combination for the Motor Show if they didn't think it looked the best? Everybody that was there thought the car looked gorgeous.

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
13-03-2011 04:17pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Well I have an Ivory interior in my Stornoway Grey FFRR and it looks lovely BUT a nightmare to keep clean. TBH now I don't bother and will get it professionally cleaned and the leather fed every 3-4 months. Like Blackseries I have had an all black interior (fortunately without privacy glass) and while it was livable with I wouldn't want another. I wanted a Tan interior in the RRS but then I saw one in daylight it was more orange than tan so I've ruled out it being any less orange for the Evoque.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
13-03-2011 04:24pm