Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gearbox Fault - Select Park Before Engine Stop
mcbrid

RE: Gearbox Fault - Select Park Before Engine Stop

(03-08-2016 05:35pm)owencardew Wrote:  Hi Mcbrid,

Have they told you which module? The gearshifter itself is one module, and it connects to another module on the gearbox that actuates your gear selection... would be interesting to know the Part Number so i can plan to buy it just in case - i'm 2,400km away from the nearest Land Rover centre so i have to plan everything in advance!

Strangely on mine, if i start the car the error comes up on the display, but if i switch the car off and back on again, its gone... So i play this game all day so as not to see the yellow triangle and the warning...

Had mine on SDD today and did the 'Gearshift Position Learn' and the 'Gear Sensor Calibration' done, but still had the error pop up...

Br,
Owen

Hi Owen,

Its called Module Transmission Control (TCM) P/N LR052031
Its the ECU that sits under the gear control knob (rotating) and takes about two hours to fit
That's the good news - bad news is it cost me £600 +20% VAT!
....and another new battery
This is it
http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/42...trol__tcm_
But all seems well so far (touch loads of wood)
The Technician reckons that it was putting a load on the battery and draining it but not showing any error codes
Hope this helps

Mike
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2016 12:35am by mcbrid.)
07-08-2016 12:31am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
owencardew

Hi Mike,
Mine did throw up an Error Code, which would return even after being cleared. I narrowed it down to this Auxiliary Battery Module, and later found the fault description on Topix - My part is coming up to Malawi tonight from South Africa, so hopefully by tomorrow i'll have it fitted and sorted...

Smile

MY12 Range Rover Evoque SD4 Dynamic - working on Facelift to 2016.
07-08-2016 01:27pm
owencardew

(07-08-2016 12:31am)mcbrid Wrote:  Hi Owen,

Its called Module Transmission Control (TCM) P/N LR052031
Its the ECU that sits under the gear control knob (rotating) and takes about two hours to fit
That's the good news - bad news is it cost me £600 +20% VAT!
....and another new battery
This is it
http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/42...trol__tcm_
But all seems well so far (touch loads of wood)
The Technician reckons that it was putting a load on the battery and draining it but not showing any error codes
Hope this helps

Mike

Hi Mike,

I changed the Auxiliary Battery and its respective Module today, and the car is perfect, problem solved. My repair cost was only GBP160, but i can sympathize with your GBP600 cost of repairs!

Cheers!

Smile

08-08-2016 07:11pm
mcbrid

Good news! Glad you're sorted.

My £600 was only the part! add £500 for new batt and labour! Lol

Where exactly is the auxiliary battery and what does it do?

Cheers
09-08-2016 11:38am
owencardew

(09-08-2016 11:38am)mcbrid Wrote:  Good news! Glad you're sorted.

My £600 was only the part! add £500 for new batt and labour! Lol

Where exactly is the auxiliary battery and what does it do?

Cheers

Hi,

The Auxiliary Battery sits with its module, behind your glovebox. The only way to get to it is from below via the footwell. Remove the footwell cover (a grey carpet piece, and another dark plastic piece that pull out. Once those are out, look up behind the glovebox and you will see the Auxiliary Battery & Module (Next to your fusebox, but you can't really see the unit from the fusebox window in the glovebox).

The Auxiliary Battery & Module provide backup power to the Gearshift Module, so as not to lose vital settings during heavy drain on the main battery such as cold starting. It is also responsible for powering the gearshifter when you switch off in D or R, so that the dial can rotate itself back to P..

Might as well check the voltage on yours... It seems they tend to pack up after 3 or 4 years, and mine being a 2012 model, its right on time!

Smile

09-08-2016 01:00pm
mcbrid

Thanks for that.

So far so good with my new ECU - just need to figure out why my aux power (cig lighter) socket never seems to work for more than 5 mins!

Smile
09-08-2016 10:41pm
bee

(09-08-2016 10:41pm)mcbrid Wrote:  Thanks for that.

So far so good with my new ECU - just need to figure out why my aux power (cig lighter) socket never seems to work for more than 5 mins!

Smile

thats how its designed. to stop battery going flat.Sad

2013 auto sicillian yellow special edition. with all the goodies supplied with this model.
10-08-2016 07:33pm
nick1340

I really fail to see how a 50k vehicle cannot cope with allowing you to listen to the radio for 10 minutes when parked up without warnings flashing up of a flat battery.
By all means have a back up/aux battery for some of the gadgets but not units that fail after 2-3 years and then cost £500 when they are worth all of a tenner !
10-08-2016 10:57pm
stiggz

Just for anyone else experiencing this issue as I have, before you go ahead and order a whole new model, try simply replacing the battery inserted in the module. It simply un-clips, you don't need to unscrew anything and only moderate contortion is required.

You essentially just need to get hold of a PowerSonic PS-1212 12V 1.4AMP. The battery that came with my evoque was 12V 1.2AMP but it seems hard to get and the 1.4 does the job. Cost me $15...

After replacing the battery and not touching the module the error went away and the automatic sinking of the gear dial worked fine.

Very Happy Fuji White, SD4, Contrast Black Roof w/ Panoramic glass, Tech Pack, Keyless Entry, Adaptive Dynamics & 20" Style 6 Wheels Very Happy
01-03-2017 05:51am
Steve D

So, is a sign that this battery is on the way out a failure for the gear dial to sink and go into park when switching off in drive or reverse?

(01-03-2017 05:51am)stiggz Wrote:  Just for anyone else experiencing this issue as I have, before you go ahead and order a whole new model, try simply replacing the battery inserted in the module. It simply un-clips.....You essentially just need to get hold of a PowerSonic PS-1212 12V 1.4AMP. The battery that came with my evoque was 12V 1.2AMP but it seems hard to get and the 1.4 does the job. Cost me $15...

Plenty on eBay for around a tenner. Looks like the one I have in my home security control panel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/161745459...5448120415

Less than the price of an air filter. I wonder whether it's worth changing as a matter of course when the car is 4 or 5 years old as a preventative measure?

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2017 07:48am by Steve D.)
01-03-2017 07:31am