Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gearbox Fault - Select Park Before Engine Stop
owencardew

Gearbox Fault - Select Park Before Engine Stop

Hi,

Further to my post yesterday regarding replacement part numbers, here is the situation surrounding it, incase anyone wants to chime in and let me know their thoughts. I have read every post on here and on two other forums related to the above error, but i'm still no closer to figuring out what is going on.

According to previous owner, this fault came up after a dead battery. I bought the car, fitted a new sealed battery, but still the error comes up. It is temperamental, and will be on all morning, and all evening, but seems to go off my itself for a while during midday.

I had a battery and alternator test done at the Bosch agents here, and have attached the report. Also checked the Rear View Camera Connectors for water, but nothing visible. May try disconnecting the rear camera completely to see if that does anything as @Cutter7 reported that his camera had caused the same problem...

Did a scan on SDD and it says:

U0101-87 GSMB Lost Communication with TCM: - Missing Message
U0404-82 GSMB Invalid Data received from Gear Shift Module A - Alive/sequence counter incorrect, not updated
U0103-87 GSMB Lost communications with Gear Shift Module A - Missing Message
P1794-92 Battery Voltage Circuit - Performance or incorrect operation

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction, that flashing yellow triangle on the dash is driving me crazy...

Br,
Owen

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

MY12 Range Rover Evoque SD4 Dynamic - working on Facelift to 2016.
27-07-2016 11:44am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wavey.dave

RE: Gearbox Fault - Select Park Before Engine Stop

(27-07-2016 11:44am)owencardew Wrote:  Hi,

Further to my post yesterday regarding replacement part numbers, here is the situation surrounding it, incase anyone wants to chime in and let me know their thoughts. I have read every post on here and on two other forums related to the above error, but i'm still no closer to figuring out what is going on.

According to previous owner, this fault came up after a dead battery. I bought the car, fitted a new sealed battery, but still the error comes up. It is temperamental, and will be on all morning, and all evening, but seems to go off my itself for a while during midday.

I had a battery and alternator test done at the Bosch agents here, and have attached the report. Also checked the Rear View Camera Connectors for water, but nothing visible. May try disconnecting the rear camera completely to see if that does anything as @Cutter7 reported that his camera had caused the same problem...

Did a scan on SDD and it says:

U0101-87 GSMB Lost Communication with TCM: - Missing Message
U0404-82 GSMB Invalid Data received from Gear Shift Module A - Alive/sequence counter incorrect, not updated
U0103-87 GSMB Lost communications with Gear Shift Module A - Missing Message
P1794-92 Battery Voltage Circuit - Performance or incorrect operation

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction, that flashing yellow triangle on the dash is driving me crazy...

Br,
Owen

Have you had any software updates recently? My Evoque went in for its 4 year service this week and they updated the software, and I now get this message. They've checked the gearbox and say its find, but they need to apply a "fix" from JLR to clear the message. Going back in next week for the update.

[Image: 143277.png]
28-07-2016 06:44pm
owencardew

(28-07-2016 06:44pm)wavey.dave Wrote:  Have you had any software updates recently? My Evoque went in for its 4 year service this week and they updated the software, and I now get this message. They've checked the gearbox and say its find, but they need to apply a "fix" from JLR to clear the message. Going back in next week for the update.

Hi Dave, just managed to figure out that Battery Drainage is causing mine. In the morning when voltage is at 12.3V i get the Gearbox Fault, but once the car warms up and has been driven, voltage goes above 12.4V and the Gearbox Fault warning disappears.

Now trying to figure out whats draining my battery down to 12.3V overnight, but i am suspecting it to be a hidden tracking device from the previous owner in South Africa... the internal battery dies and it proceeds to chew the Evoque battery instead!

28-07-2016 06:53pm
sasdiscos

try an optimate on it at night, that will prove it,

Steve
29-07-2016 07:23am
mcbrid

I'm having a similar issue on my MY12 Coupe

What year is yours?

Mike
30-07-2016 04:51pm
owencardew

(30-07-2016 04:51pm)mcbrid Wrote:  I'm having a similar issue on my MY12 Coupe

What year is yours?

Mike

Mine is a MY12 5-door...

30-07-2016 05:32pm
mcbrid

I was told that new batteries have to be logged into the cars computer so it knows which algorithm to apply when its measuring its condition.

Anyone heard of this before?
30-07-2016 11:35pm
owencardew

(28-07-2016 06:44pm)wavey.dave Wrote:  Have you had any software updates recently? My Evoque went in for its 4 year service this week and they updated the software, and I now get this message. They've checked the gearbox and say its find, but they need to apply a "fix" from JLR to clear the message. Going back in next week for the update.

Hi Wavey Dave,

Any news on the "fix" from JLR to clear the message? Or is there a TSB Number for it? I've also been told by Land Rover South Africa that the gearbox is fine, but being in Malawi, theres not much i can do. I've been on the phone all day to Land Rover in South Africa, Zambia, and Zimbabwe, and still cannot get anyone to fly out here (at my cost) to sort it out.. The old Land Rover dealers here have SDD, but they don't know how to search for such updates and fixes (hence why they lost their Land Rover licence!)

02-08-2016 07:35pm
mcbrid

(30-07-2016 11:35pm)mcbrid Wrote:  I was told that new batteries have to be logged into the cars computer so it knows which algorithm to apply when its measuring its condition.

Anyone heard of this before?

I am being told now that I have a faulty gearbox ecu (sits under the gear knob apparently) and that has been draining the battery.

Strangely there are no fault codes being generated by this which is why it is hard to diagnose?

Inconveniently for me I have discovered the problem two months after the warranty ran out although I suspect it has been there for a while as I had to have a new battery in May 2016.
03-08-2016 12:18am
owencardew

(03-08-2016 12:18am)mcbrid Wrote:  I am being told now that I have a faulty gearbox ecu (sits under the gear knob apparently) and that has been draining the battery.

Strangely there are no fault codes being generated by this which is why it is hard to diagnose?

Inconveniently for me I have discovered the problem two months after the warranty ran out although I suspect it has been there for a while as I had to have a new battery in May 2016.

Hi Mcbrid,

Have they told you which module? The gearshifter itself is one module, and it connects to another module on the gearbox that actuates your gear selection... would be interesting to know the Part Number so i can plan to buy it just in case - i'm 2,400km away from the nearest Land Rover centre so i have to plan everything in advance!

Strangely on mine, if i start the car the error comes up on the display, but if i switch the car off and back on again, its gone... So i play this game all day so as not to see the yellow triangle and the warning...

Had mine on SDD today and did the 'Gearshift Position Learn' and the 'Gear Sensor Calibration' done, but still had the error pop up...

Br,
Owen

03-08-2016 05:35pm