Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Gearbox Fault - DO NOT BUY THE 9 Speed Auto
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Gearbox Fault - DO NOT BUY THE 9 Speed Auto

No you are right Redrob, they both came in at the same time. The auxillary heater is part of the emissions controls and will cut in on cold days to help heat the engine more rapidly - the cabin is heated electrically rather than using engine heat so you don't freeze in the cabin until the engine is warm. The seat heaters and, if you have it, the heated steering wheel are still great features though - I find on cold days I rarely adjust the cabin heater off setting 21 but warm my bum and lower back with the seat heater and my hands with the heated steering steering wheel! If you feel really indulgent then you can also fit a diesel powered remote controlled cabin heater that will warm the car before you get in - my previous experience with those though has been that they are a waste of money and don't pre-heat the cabin much in the 20 minutes it runs.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 14-03-2015 09:33am by XFullFatTim.)
14-03-2015 09:26am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jcarrot

(13-03-2015 06:46pm)HannahB Wrote:  Hi everyone, hoping to hear about everyone's gearbox issues and how they got resolved in the end? I've got a 14 plate Evoque that's just had its second replacement gearbox fitted so wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar to me?

My Evoque has just had it's 1st service at 1 year old and has covered 5,000 miles since having the gear box replaced.
When the new gearbox was fitted I found that changes were more noticeable but still smooth, after the latest software update the changes seem to be sharper but still smooth, I have also found that there is little difference between Sport and Drive in forward progress but that Sport is very good at downchanging quicker when driving on twisty b roads, making good progress without excessive use of the brakes.
On this forum there are a lot of complaints about cars and Dealerships but in my experience if you are going to have a fault JLR are as good as you will find in putting it right.
14-03-2015 10:34am
Steve D

So what happened in the end?
Is the problem with the 9 speed gearboxes finally sorted?

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
12-10-2015 06:10pm
Tony

(12-10-2015 06:10pm)Steve D Wrote:  So what happened in the end?

Yes, finally solved - sold the piece of cr@p!

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
12-10-2015 06:50pm
Steve D

Lol. I was looking at possibly getting a 9 speed model and just wondering whether the early 9 speed boxes had all been sorted by now or whether there's still some about. Obviously yours is out there somewhere!

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
12-10-2015 07:07pm
jcarrot

(12-10-2015 06:10pm)Steve D Wrote:  So what happened in the end?

Shouldn't really tempt providence but now 18 months old and since gearbox replacement at 2 months hasn't missed a beat.
Gear changes smooth and no hesitation, brim to brim fill ups every time and running at 35.4 mpg over 10,000 miles.
12-10-2015 07:27pm
ForzaSchumi

Had my 9 speed auto since March having owned a manual Evoque previously and not had any real complaints other than the hesitation when pulling away and sometimes the box is a little indecisive. However, for some reason since Sunday the card feels totally different - box is much smoother, changes seem to take place at more sensible engine speeds and the hesitation when pulling away seems to have gone. Not been near the dealer. Car has just passed 9k miles but wouldn't have thought it would have taken this long to get used to my driving style!

Part of me wonders if LR can send software updates remotely now via Incontrol? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Maybe Pete could advise if LR can do this? Or am I imagining the change?
13-10-2015 07:24pm