Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fusible link wire in battery- what does it do?
Nickj

Fusible link wire in battery- what does it do?

Hi all

Recently bought an evoque with light damage. It's away having the bodywork done as we speak, but noticed when checking the battery what i believe to be a fusible link wire. It goes into the positive battery terminal, but the other end is loose.

[Image: D38B39EA-7A18-472C-824E-46A8827981B6.jpg]

I have read this blows in an accident ( which mine has been in) but can't work out where the other ends plugged into!?

Does anyone know or mind just checking their battery to see where it goes?
22-06-2015 04:32pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

RE: Fusible link wire in battery- what does it do?

Well, the label says "BMS Link", so I would suspect it plugs into a workshop tool to reset your battery monitoring system Smile

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
22-06-2015 06:53pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nickj

Oh, that's ok then. Wasn't sure what BMS meant. So you think it's meant to be unplugged?

Thanks for the post.
22-06-2015 07:29pm
PhilSkill

It looks like you don't have the ECO start stop or secondary Battery, which maybe where the BMS is required. Here's a Picture showing a similar location with the Secondary Battery fitted, although no sign of "AA".

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
22-06-2015 09:25pm
Nickj

Def not got secondary battery but not sure about stop start. It's a 63 plate sd4.

Should the wire just be loose then?
22-06-2015 09:52pm
PhilSkill

If it's an Automatic on a 63 plate, then it will not have Stop Start, only early Manuals had this.

Sorry no idea on wire, as mines a Manual with Stop Start, i'm pretty sure it'll be connected on mine.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
22-06-2015 09:59pm
Daiichi

(22-06-2015 04:32pm)Nickj Wrote:  Hi all

Recently bought an evoque with light damage. It's away having the bodywork done as we speak, but noticed when checking the battery what i believe to be a fusible link wire. It goes into the positive battery terminal, but the other end is loose.

[Image: D38B39EA-7A18-472C-824E-46A8827981B6.jpg]

I have read this blows in an accident ( which mine has been in) but can't work out where the other ends plugged into!?

Does anyone know or mind just checking their battery to see where it goes?

Hi Nickj......that connector on my car connects back to a male connector which is on the negative terminal of the battery. You cannot really see the male connector but it's just below the distribution plate where all the negative cables meet.

SD4 Auto - Orkney Grey - Dynamic Lux - Panoramic Roof - RSE - Meridian Surround System - Black Edition Badge - Xpel PPS - LED Interior
23-06-2015 12:28am
Nickj

(23-06-2015 12:28am)Daiichi Wrote:  Hi Nickj......that connector on my car connects back to a male connector which is on the negative terminal of the battery. You cannot really see the male connector but it's just below the distribution plate where all the negative cables meet.

That's great info Daiichi. I did have a good look around the top of the negative terminal but couldn't see anything. If it's below the plate that's probably why I coulnt see it. Will have another look. Think I will re order the wire Incase it does have a fuse in it.
23-06-2015 09:28am
Daiichi

(23-06-2015 09:28am)Nickj Wrote:  That's great info Daiichi. I did have a good look around the top of the negative terminal but couldn't see anything. If it's below the plate that's probably why I coulnt see it. Will have another look. Think I will re order the wire Incase it does have a fuse in it.

Nickj, the connector snaps back onto another connector which is located below the distribution plate. There isn't any fusible item there, just snaps back...no need to get another new cable, from the photo you have taken, it looks fine. I am thinking someone may have remove it but forgot to reconnect it back.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

SD4 Auto - Orkney Grey - Dynamic Lux - Panoramic Roof - RSE - Meridian Surround System - Black Edition Badge - Xpel PPS - LED Interior
23-06-2015 10:11am
Nickj

Super. Really appreciate the help. Top forum spirit.

So, it routes down the left hand side of the battery, and then plugs in below that silver plate on the negative terminal? Presumably removing the terminal would show the plug easily. Cars away at body shop but am popping up there in a few days so will plug back in
23-06-2015 10:31am