Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fur-lined, lenses, wipers, glare
olde

Fur-lined, lenses, wipers, glare

I keep finding new things to feel impressed about. Yesterday it was the fur-lined door pockets. Today it was the finger heating vent above the CD player that warms your nails as you poke the CD into the slot.

Tomorrow, I plan to figure out whether it is possible to tilt the lenses that are in the interior door handles upward a bit, so their ambient lighting will spread up the inside of the door more effectively, (those door handles' ambient-lights are barely noticeable, especially if you switch them to red).

I am also experimenting with windshield-wiper adjustment, so that they do not block the view out of the front window. The dealer move one of them down for me, and I am currently encouraging the other one to move down.

Maybe for the Canadian market, where it used to snow a lot before global warming, the Evoque's wipers are deliberately raised? You Americans and Brits etc, may not have Evoques with the same wiper-exposure. They actually work better after being adjusted downward a few inches, as more screen area is cleared of rain, and the cleared area better lines up with the edge of the windshield.

Ah, yes, and apparently, Canadian Tire (our famous chain store) sells a blue light that sits on the dash to reduce the questionably dangerous "grid-glare" you get from night-time driving behind a front windscreen that has wiggly heating elements in it.

All that said, no car is ever perfect, but the Evoque gets real close to it.

Whistle Our Petition to Improve the Evoque sent to Range Rover CEO, get your copy ---> HERE <---
07-12-2011 05:09am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evoqess

RE: Fur-lined, lenses, wipers, glare

Thanks Olde! Haven't noticed the windshield glare yet as mainly dealing with inner city headlight annoyances! Do you have the heated steering wheel, it will keep your fingertips toasty when away from the CD slot Smile

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
08-12-2011 01:11am
olde

(08-12-2011 01:11am)Evoqess Wrote:  Thanks Olde! Haven't noticed the windshield glare yet as mainly dealing with inner city headlight annoyances! Do you have the heated steering wheel, it will keep your fingertips toasty when away from the CD slot Smile
Yep, like you, I was not given any choice about which car to buy, all they had left was the one that came with all the options, including the heated steering wheel. Did you check out the fur-lined door compartments? That was cute. Also, you can tuck your toll transponder under the rear center headrest, as the heated front window can mess with reception otherwise.
I think your Dynamic Coupe was slightly more expensive than my 5-dr Prestige at $72k, right? And you got Magnaride Adaptive wotnots as well, I think. Have you pushed it to see if it makes a big difference to handling?

Whistle Our Petition to Improve the Evoque sent to Range Rover CEO, get your copy ---> HERE <---
08-12-2011 06:08am
BFGEvoqueMan

(07-12-2011 05:09am)olde Wrote:  II am also experimenting with windshield-wiper adjustment, so that they do not block the view out of the front window. The dealer move one of them down for me, and I am currently encouraging the other one to move down.

Maybe for the Canadian market, where it used to snow a lot before global warming, the Evoque's wipers are deliberately raised? You Americans and Brits etc, may not have Evoques with the same wiper-exposure. They actually work better after being adjusted downward a few inches, as more screen area is cleared of rain, and the cleared area better lines up with the edge of the windshield.

Are you sure your wipers aren't set to winter park mode (where they deliberately stop a little higher) - refer to handbook about how to enable/disableIdeaIdea

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
08-12-2011 08:39am
PhilSkill

If it is in winter park mode (Sounds like it is, select this on the centre screen between the dials, from the steering wheel)... careful if you turn it off, as if you've physically reset the wiper position it'll force them down into the bodywork!!!

I never noticed the winscreen wires until someone pointed it out to me! but it's not a problem, and almost diffuses the glare!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2011 09:42am by PhilSkill.)
08-12-2011 09:39am
olde

(08-12-2011 09:39am)PhilSkill Wrote:  If it is in winter park mode (Sounds like it is, select this on the centre screen between the dials, from the steering wheel)... careful if you turn it off, as if you've physically reset the wiper position it'll force them down into the bodywork!!!
I never noticed the winscreen wires until someone pointed it out to me! but it's not a problem, and almost diffuses the glare!

The winter park position is about 1 O'Click for the driver side (left side of car) and maybe a bit later in the clockface for the passenger side. So, I don't think it has anything to do with wiper parking levels.

I think it may be something to do with snow buildup along the bottom edge of the window, inside which the wipers normally get frozen. So, maybe they moved them up a notch from the get go.

They certainly seem to more efficiently and more accurately, when moved down a notch, and by hiding themselves from view they seem to help the look of the car too.

If I get into any problems with my hidden wipers, I'll let you know.

BTW PhilSkill, I like your reply about the glare. The lines diffuse the glare. I'll use that one on the wife next time she says "Eugh! I'm blinded, look at those silly lines, I can't see a thing, we are going to crash, and die, and burn up and be late for our appointment, you always make me late, why do you always... etc, etc." Well, anyway, you know how wives get. Sad

09-12-2011 06:47am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The heater elements in the front screen are really only noticable if you are driving into the sun or at night if you have the heater switched on. We have the same "buried elements" system on our 22 armour plate glass wheelhouse windows across the 33m wide wheelhouse of the ship and when the heaters are switched on it can be very difficult to see the navigation lights of other ships at night - mind you they do help keep the rest of the wheelhouse warm and toasty too when the glasshouse is in a north European winter scenario (not likely to be experienced this winter in the Middle East, I hope......)

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2011 04:55am by XFullFatTim.)
12-12-2011 04:54am
PhilSkill

(09-12-2011 06:47am)olde Wrote:  BTW PhilSkill, I like your reply about the glare. The lines diffuse the glare. I'll use that one on the wife next time she says "Eugh! I'm blinded, look at those silly lines, I can't see a thing, we are going to crash, and die, and burn up and be late for our appointment, you always make me late, why do you always... etc, etc." Well, anyway, you know how wives get. Sad
Laughing Doubt you'll ever win that argument...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
12-12-2011 08:47pm
andymac

Great tips all. And Oldie: good to see someone else in Toronto (not seen that many Evoques in the three weeks I've lived her). We collect our Premium Plus in Grey over Black tomorrow morning in Oakville...
01-03-2013 09:44pm