Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Funny smell on a new Evoque
YorkyNicky

Funny smell on a new Evoque

Hi, had my Evoque HSE Dynamic TD4 just over 2 weeks. Drive in commuting traffic only. Tonight it started to have an odd burning type smell. The only thing different was I had been messing with the heating and had the aircon button depressed whereas previously always been on manual ....not sure if that info is relevant. Inside the cabin had a horrible smell, maybe similiar to old style exhaust. The engine itself seemed very hot when I got home and lifted the bonnet so my question is could it just be the newness of things burning off or should I be a bit more concerned. Sorry if it's a daft question.
11-10-2016 10:31pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Steve D

RE: Funny smell on a new Evoque

Probably just the DPF having a burn-off. You'll certainly notice it more if you are using it it commuting traffic.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2016 06:56am by Steve D.)
12-10-2016 06:54am
YorkyNicky

(12-10-2016 06:54am)Steve D Wrote:  Probably the DPF having a burn-off.

Thank you, I had read a little on that on other threads and wondered if such. Guess the heat of the engine threw me but then again I don't recall lifting my bonnet or sniffing the grille haha on previous cars I've owned. Presume the heat in the engine is just normal then ?
12-10-2016 06:58am
Steve D

Could also be the 'newness' of the engine coating burning off. I had the same thing with a VW Golf diesel from new and it was that bad, it smelled like someone unsuccessfully trying to start a barbecue and using too much barbecue lighter fluid. It literally made my eyes water! After a few cycles it was hardly noticeable. Heat is normal as it is injecting raw diesel into the exhaust to burn it off. On the Golf, the cycle would continue after I had switched off and left the car and because of the excessive heat generated, the cooling fan would continue to run for about 15 mins.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2016 08:29am by Steve D.)
12-10-2016 08:27am