Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Front windows
Gartly gav

Front windows

Strangest of questions, I am sure I read something on here but can't find it ( or going mad!)

Just gave the car the first wash after collection Tuesday, I have really bad smears on the front drivers and passengers windows now that I can't get rid off. Front screen fine, all other tinted windows fine but these two look terrible! Used polishes, different cloths and even paper towel but still won't go.

Did I read on here about some coating on the front sides or imagining it. Any help would be appreciated, if it helps I use Autoglym products.

Cheers

Pure Tech 5 door TD4 in Orkney grey, ebony interior, privacy glass, fog lights, xenon lights.
Collection 24th July...
28-07-2012 06:48pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

RE: Front windows

dunno, but maybe they have a layer of oil on them?
I'd do a light coating of detergent on a cloth, followed by a damp cloth and a dry
finish off with some autogly glass polish.
But I'm not a detailer, so you might get some better answers! lol Smile

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
28-07-2012 07:18pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evo-king

It has been reported on here a few times that the front side widows have a water repellent coating/treatment.

I only ever use a microfibre cloth on them.

Can only suggest trying white spirit, or vinegar water.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
29-07-2012 09:31am
xxxx5

Try a little autoglym glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth. This should do the trick.

Now Sold: 5dr Pure SD4 Man / Fuji White / Pano Roof / Tech Park / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Xenons / Black H'lining / Power Fold Door Mirrors / Power Tailgate / Carpet Mats / Front Fogs.
29-07-2012 04:25pm
PhilSkill

Yes the front side windows do have a coating, but you must have some oil contaminant so a decent glass cleaner should do the trick.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
29-07-2012 10:26pm
nf3d0149ab

I had an issue cleaning the windows as well so glad I'm not alone!
04-08-2012 04:05am
KaDargo

Does anyone know what the coating is, and why it wasnt applied to the rest of the windows (or at least an option?)

Will it wear off, and if so is it possible to purchase whatever it is?

Wouldnt mind it on all the windows!

SD4 Prestige, Mauritius, Element, Cirrus Headlining, Pana Roof, Park Assist, Heated Steering Wheel,Blind Spot monitor, 20" Alloys, Powered Tailgate
19-11-2012 02:34pm
WB
WB

There is a little logo on the front side windows like little rain drops - no idea why they only do the fronts - I guess it could be considered a safety thing to ensure the fronts shed water quickly in heavy rain
(This post was last modified: 19-11-2012 02:36pm by WB.)
19-11-2012 02:36pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The glass is a new type of glass developed by the University of Nottingham. The basic idea is from a species of butterfly from Central America that has a hydrophobic coating on it's wings.................. I saw it on Richard Hammond's series about things we have used from the animal world! It should never wear off as it is the way the glass is made that makes it special

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 19-11-2012 09:17pm by XFullFatTim.)
19-11-2012 09:16pm
PhilSkill

I have treated the remaining side and rear glass with gTechniq G1, gives exactly the same effect and done properly will last more than 30000+ miles, interesting to see how these windows compare to G1 in the long term.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
19-11-2012 09:43pm