Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Front caliper bolts
david62

Front caliper bolts

Hi,
So I am changing my own brake pads and rotors to save a few HUNDRED dollars. Rear went fine, then I get to the front and I find the caliper bolts seem to have square drive heads, recessed into a rubber sleeve. It's really hard to see, so I'm not certain. Am I right? If so, what size? I have been to my local tool merchants and have not found a suitable bit for a ratchet.

I thought putting the parking brake in maintenance mode was going to be the biggest challenge of this job, but that went really easy. This is tougher.

Oh, one more unexpected thing: I didn't know there was a bolt holding the rotor in place. I was beating on it for awhile before I noticed the bolt! Smile
30-11-2016 02:37am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Front caliper bolts

Haven't changed my fronts yet, but very interested in what you find!

Yes I had to go get a torx set with a T50 bit to do my rears!
http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-My-Fuji-D...#pid112246

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
30-11-2016 03:42pm
Steve D

Haven't done mine yet but if they are the same as the FL2 (FR2 in USA), the recessed bolts on the front brake calipers, then you need a 7mm Allen key. One of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-5137-7mm-...n+keys+7mm

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 08:20am by Steve D.)
01-12-2016 08:18am
djkronik57

Yeah as I noted in another thread, you really have to have a full toolbox to tackle front and rear brakes. Had to make 3 trips to the local auto parts store to get different strange sized bits and tools. But as you said, highly worth saving the obscene prices the dealer charges (I think they quoted around $700 to do all four rotors and pads, got it done for about $300 in parts).
01-12-2016 03:52pm
david62

OK, just finished one front. Yes, it turned out to be a 7mm hex bolt inside a little rubber sleeve with a plastic cap. Easy to find. The next odd thing is the metal spring clip which seems only to hold the caliper hard in the caliper bracket. Got it pulled out with a pair of pliers. Then, the inside brake pad has some things sticking out which hold it to the caliper. So, when you put the caliper back on, one brake pad goes in place against the rotor, and one goes in place IN THE CALIPER. Then, you can easily slide the caliper back on. Then I had a hard time getting the new clip in place. I messed with it for a long time, then finally when it went on, it went on pretty easily, so there may be some sort of trick I just didn't see. Anyway, all in all it was not difficult. Easily worth doing to save the bundle of money.

BTW The front pads came with a pair of those clips. But, I ordered a pair separately. In fact I didn't realize they came in pairs so I ordered two. Now I have SIX of them when I only need TWO. haha Smile
01-12-2016 05:24pm