Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fitting a Dog Guard (VPLVS0220)
Pete

Fitting a Dog Guard (VPLVS0220)

Hi there,

I managed to buy a second hand full height dog guard for my 5-door. Unfortunately, it didn't come with any instructions.

From what I see, I need to puncture the trim on either side of the boot to fix the screws in.

Does it matter where those holes are as long as it fits? Are the screws only held by the trim, or do the screws go into the bodywork in some way (i.e. are there pre-drilled screw holes I need to align with).

Sorry for the daft questions, I can't find any instructions for this guard online. I've looked on Topix, but don't see the manual there (just a bulletin for which I need a subscription).

Cheers.

Porsche Macan
(This post was last modified: 16-12-2016 11:03am by Pete.)
16-12-2016 10:51am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Fitting a Dog Guard (VPLVS0220)

The assembly instructions for 99% of the dealer fit accessories are available to download for free online from the JLR Topix website. You might even try using the product code + instructions in a search engine

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 16-12-2016 01:38pm by XFullFatTim.)
16-12-2016 01:37pm
Pete

(16-12-2016 01:37pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  The assembly instructions for 99% of the dealer fit accessories are available to download for free online from the JLR Topix website. You might even try using the product code + instructions in a search engine

Hi Tim,

Yes, I tried looking on Topix for the part number, but it just came back with a bulletin for which I need to pay a subscription to view.

And I have also searched online for "VPLVS0220 instructions", manual, etc. to no avail.

Porsche Macan
16-12-2016 01:47pm
Pete

Ok, so that's weird. I try another search engine and I get a result on Topix and managed to download the manual that Topix couldn't find by itself.

Typically, it's a complicated thing to fit. The manual has 50 steps to the installation and estimates an hour. I'll be swearing at this more than I swore at fitting a few seat covers.

But, I don't have a lot of the parts for this, so I may abandon this and get something cheaper....

Porsche Macan
16-12-2016 05:22pm
Pete

Ok, so I got sold a different part number without most of the fittings that go behind the trim panels.

Anyone who buys one of these things be warned, you need to remove most of the inside of the boot to fit this.  The instructions says an hour's labour, but it'll undoubtedly be at least 4.

Not a job for the faint of heart.

Porsche Macan
17-12-2016 11:08am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

In best Land Rover tradition there will be be some special tool required for removing the trim panels too. Might be an idea to get a few spare snap clips that hold the trim in place just in case of breakages during removal.........

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
18-12-2016 03:14pm
Farmer Chalk

Newbie here to the forum but am on the sister sites Disco3 and RRS as well! Hello all!

Having just done this to our new to us Evoque I am now in a position to update you all with what is required...

The first message for all is do not consider buying a second hand genuine dog guard on EBay or the like unless you know categorically that it comes with all the relevant bracketry!
I had done my homework and asked the appropriate questions and bought one on eBay...I travelled down to collect it and lo and behold it didn’t have them... the seller had the guard and the four corner angles but none of the complex bracketry which mounts behind it....

This is where you have to do your maths! JLR sell a bracket kit for secondhand dog guards and make a killing from people like us in a similar position...the retail price is £125.00 !!!
Some retailers will sell the complete kit for about £175....thus unless you manage to pick up the guard for next to nothing then buying one off eBay is an expensive mistake! It is cheaper in the long run to buy a new one with all the brackets and more importantly the instructions from JLR!

Anyway now to the fitment! Total nightmare!

The guard fits with four right angle brackets....but behind the side panels are the brackets which these screw into....which is an interesting experience and took me far longer than I anticipated... the JLR instructions are atrocious and I assume are purely as an ade memoire for their fitters...

You basically have to remove all the boot trim from the floor pan, then remove both side panels (carefully). The brackets are quite complex in shape and two are mounted on the existing rear seat mounts and two mount in the side bodywork.

The seat ones are a bugger! You have to remove the rear seats to be able to access them...there lies a problem as it’s not obvious how to remove them... at the edges of the seats there are some black brackets and the seat look like they are held in with a plastic clip securing the seat rod....at the back of those brackets there is a torx bolt which looks unrelated..if you undo that and then use a screwdriver you can see underneath that there is a lever...(held in place by the torx) if you lever that down the seat rod will slide up and release giving you enough play to get to the seat mountings underneath!

Next Word of Warning! Do not believe the LH and RH markings fitted to the brackets..in my case they were 100% wrong for all four of the brackets! Much head scratching later and if you swap them over it will begin to make sense!

I completed several dry fits to ensure that it fitted correctly.

The next issue is marking the side panels to drill the appropriate holes so the mounting bolts match the receiving brackets in the right place! Totally ignore the origami templates that JLR provide in the kit....sorting World Peace or creating nuclear fission in your greenhouse would be easier!

I used a relevant sized bolt and screwed it through the brackets the wrong way and then painted the exposed ends with a blob of bright touch up paint and then offered the panels back in place...and voila! You have two blobs of paint where you now need to drill....take the panels off again and drill the holes for a perfect alignment...

The instructions say fitment is 0.7 hours for fitting! In reality it is 0.7 days!

It is a total git of a job and if you’ve got loads of money save yourself the grief and get a dealer to do it! If not good luck! Happy for people to PM me if they get stuck!

Regards Farmer Chalk...
(This post was last modified: 26-09-2019 08:00am by Farmer Chalk.)
26-09-2019 07:57am
Pete

Yeah, I gave up on mine and sold it. The guy who bought it happened to be a dab hand at metalworking, so he was pleased as anything to fettle it for himself.

Go got a Travall dog guard in the end that fits just above the seat-tops - it takes less than a minute to fit.

Porsche Macan
26-09-2019 08:08am