Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Feeler for a Scottish Autumn Outing
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Feeler for a Scottish Autumn Outing

Couple of years ago I organised a day out following the General Wade's and the Roman Roads in the southern highlands. Format was meet at J9 M9/ Stirling Moto Services - then travel by the back roads to Wallace Monument, over Sheriffmuir to Crief then Glen Turret (without a stop at the Grouse Experience! We took a side trip up to the reservoir above the Distillery instead) then via the Sma Glen to Amulree, over the high road to Kenmore with a lunch stop at the Forestry Picnic site on the shore of Loch Tay, then via the backroads to Glen Lyon for an afternoon cuppa and over the rough tracks to Killin where we split up and those from the east drove back home via the north shore of Loch Tay and those from the south and west went via Killin to Lix Toll then either via the west side of Loch Lomond or via the Trossachs to Glasgow and points south.

If anybody is interested in doing a similar run in September then I would be happy to run another one. When we set out there was no intention of going offroading BUT we did find that the hummock where we had afternoon tea was ideal for folks to give GGS mode of the terrain response a play with on some firm grass. I put the invite on RRS, D3, Def2, Freel2 and FFRR - mainly Disco3's came along with one RRS, one FFRR and a Tdi200 Def with it's 17 year old driver! It turned into a great day with plenty of sunshine (it was August and for once there were very few midges in evidence). As before this is intended to be totally on paved roads with no offroad driving planned, suitable for any showroom standard Land Rover, even those with low slung body kits

I'm also open to suggestions for variations on the route or even to arrange a totally different run - eg one of my favourite picnic trips in the summer is to go North to the start of the Corrie Varrick Pass run which involves some nice fast roads as well as single tracks. Or I love the "Road to the Isles" run passing Tyndrum, Bridge Of Orchy, Black Mount Ski Centre then turn off the main road near to the Kings House Hotel, down the unclassified road that follows Glen Etive, round the back of Buachaille Etive Mor to Loch Etive - it's a dead end road but with stunning scenery. There are lots of private roads around these areas that are closed to public access so if anybody knows any landowners (or even if they are a landowner in the area!) and would be prepared to let us drive their private roads that would be fantastic

On this software for the forum there is no provision for a sign up so please if you would be interested in coming along please just put you name in a separate reply below this post.

This has also been posted on the RRS/D4/Freel2/FFRR and Defender2 forums

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 26-03-2011 11:46am by XFullFatTim.)
26-03-2011 11:43am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply