Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fault code P0087 Fuel Rail Pressure -Too low Total Shut down
Mudi1

Fault code P0087 Fuel Rail Pressure -Too low Total Shut down

Firstly:-i am an old timer here, dip in and out, but with no mechanical knowledge i cannot contribute. My Thanks and gratitude goes to all you others, of many years experience that for for even longer have been contributing, passing on what you know to others, just to help us. Namely XFullfatTime and PHilskill.......Thank you. (If you happen to read this post.)

Evoque Diesel 2012 - 42K mileage.

Car broke down on the M25 'road to hell' Drove on the hard shoulder with Grandchildren in the back. Limped onto A3 and waited for 6 hours for the AA tow truck.
I cant believe that the car shutting down like this is not a safety issue.

Had we been in the fast lane (as I would have been on my own) we would be dead

Traffic runs at 90 where it can on that road. With no space for the car behind to pull into the next left lane.
Red triangle came up leading to instant shut down. Horns from cars swerving behind as i rolled into the hard shoulder. Full tank, oil, water, tyre pressure all good.

I managed to restart and rolled onto the A3. Roadside assistance came and diagnosed Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. My new own diagnostic machine gave the message header. Has anyone had any experience with these components? Is it expensive for an independent mechanic to repair? Does it require a few items (sensor, rail, pump.....etc) being test fitted first?, in other words, will the car be unreliable if only one part is fixed, then all goes well for a week and fails again...(through no fault of the mechanic).

BTW: I have given up with my local RR service department as they left me with a few issues that should have been fixed under warranty, but they would not cover the work as they blamed me for missing a second year service- How I dont know, the car was them about 12 times that year with various issues and, my DAD in his final months of battling Cancer dying. It was not in me to fight with them.

Mine was the car that came out of the FACTORY with a single exhaust (instead of a double), cracked windowscreen and ½ dead battery.

I did call RR about my concern for the shut down being a safety issue. Uninterested in that they just stated they they needed to do there own diagnostic first at £180. per hour.
04-11-2018 01:42pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Fault code P0087 Fuel Rail Pressure -Too low Total Shut down

Hi, yes shutting down on the motorway is a harrowing experience, mine went into limp mode on the M1 as I pulled into the fast lane, was the DPF sensor, but at least with limp mode you can continue if a bit slowly. Of course other drivers give you no quarter and don't allow for failures or breakdowns.

Changing the sensor should be a simple enough job, but you are breaking into the fuel lines, so unless you confident with these things use a garage. Theres no reason to suspect it's anything more than a sensor and if it was running fine beforehand it's the most likely cause. often the breakdown people will know a good garage to take it to.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
06-11-2018 12:22am
Mudi1

Thanks for your reply. Sorry you had a similar experience.
I took it to an independent garage and it was diagnosed with the same fault, but could have been a number of the components for that code. The mechanic first checked the oil filter, which had water coming out of it and upon removal and cutting open had a slimey brown coating and was severely clogged. That was it. The car has been serviced every year by a garage.

It is now running well after a long motorway trip to check and perhaps regenerate everything, all fault codes have now disappeared. Excellent.

I have seen on topix that the car has an outstanding campaign of a Q585 Engine Management System Upgrade from RR, but I'm hesitant to have it in case anything else goes wrong. They say that is non-safety related.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2018 08:34am by Mudi1.)
07-11-2018 08:32am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Good to read that it is fixed, was there any reason given why you had water in the filter?

Having left the marque with my present car it is interesting to experience dealers in a different group. The Mini/BMW dealer I now deal with is as good (my local LR dealer is one of the best I have experienced for servicing) BUT despite all the praise people seem to,heap on BMW iT it isn’t any better than JLR and possibly worse.......... my 4 month old car went in for investigation of why the electric range achieved and the range indicated on the dash were hugely at odds - in the best way, I was getting lots more electric range than the dash was showing and the car came back with the Bluetooth not working, the touch screen dash controls for setting when the car charges the HV battery not working and until I re-synced my iPhone to the car no way to control the charging from the app. BMW only wanted to make a “heater software” upgrade........... since syncing the car and phone again I can now control charging and cabin pre-heating/ battery conditioning from the app using the pre-update software of the app. That apart I’m still delighted with the car - overall average mpg is now up to 202mpg which is totally false as the mpg computer still computes when you are in EV mode running 100% electric mode...... the real life petrol mpg from the 1.5ltr 3 cylinder turbo is averaging 44mpg, not great for a supermini but acceptable for one lugging 175kg additional weight of HV batteries around. On the motorway it is as smoother and quieter than my RRS was - it will run up to 85mph in electric mode but range falls drastically at that speed! One thing that is impressive is unobtrusive way the regenerative brakes work to recover energy that would have been lost to the brake system - last night after driving 68 miles on mainly motorway miles, leaving town with only 5% electrical charge available I had recovered 9 miles electrical charge energy by the time I got home, enough to get me to the dentist in the next village and back for free this morning - with lights, heater and wipers all running!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2018 08:55am by XFullFatTim.)
07-11-2018 08:48am
Mudi1

Sorry, I mistakenly wrote that it was an oil filter when it was the fuel filter that was renewed, with a cleaner added to the existing full tank. I was advised that it could have been a dodgy fuel batch that could have accentuated it and, for my part, I think I let the diesel consistently run down low before refilling. (Laziness - Shameful).
Now, I've been advised to fill up with a third in the tank and use the top of the range fuel occasionally.

Glad you are happy with the Countryman. PHEV is definitely the way forward. It won't be long before we have our heated S.wheel to the essential list of electric daily runnings. Shame that new cars still seem to have niggles. I think they need to be tested in normal usage environments (heavy congested motorways and cities - not wind tunnels). Will you be getting all software updates then, or wish you hadn't got the last one?.
07-11-2018 04:17pm
PhilSkill

Good news it was just the fuel filter, it should be changed every other service anyway, and yes can be from poor fuel, condensation or even fuel waxing in the cold. I add Archoil to mine now occasionally, Have run their cleaner and now run the fuel treatment on the odd fuel refill. It works out cheaper and better than the "Super Diesels" that only have a higher octane, and a tiny bit of cleaner.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
07-11-2018 06:49pm
Mudi1

Oh thats a much better idea. Thank you. I've made a note.
07-11-2018 09:01pm
CRC@LandRover

(04-11-2018 01:42pm)Mudi1 Wrote:  Firstly:-i am an old timer here, dip in and out, but with no mechanical knowledge i cannot contribute. My Thanks and gratitude goes to all you others, of many years experience that for for even longer have been contributing, passing on what you know to others, just to help us. Namely XFullfatTime and PHilskill.......Thank you. (If you happen to read this post.)

Evoque Diesel 2012 - 42K mileage.

Car broke down on the M25 'road to hell' Drove on the hard shoulder with Grandchildren in the back. Limped onto A3 and waited for 6 hours for the AA tow truck.
I cant believe that the car shutting down like this is not a safety issue.

Had we been in the fast lane (as I would have been on my own) we would be dead

Traffic runs at 90 where it can on that road. With no space for the car behind to pull into the next left lane.
Red triangle came up leading to instant shut down. Horns from cars swerving behind as i rolled into the hard shoulder. Full tank, oil, water, tyre pressure all good.

I managed to restart and rolled onto the A3. Roadside assistance came and diagnosed Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. My new own diagnostic machine gave the message header. Has anyone had any experience with these components? Is it expensive for an independent mechanic to repair? Does it require a few items (sensor, rail, pump.....etc) being test fitted first?, in other words, will the car be unreliable if only one part is fixed, then all goes well for a week and fails again...(through no fault of the mechanic).

BTW: I have given up with my local RR service department as they left me with a few issues that should have been fixed under warranty, but they would not cover the work as they blamed me for missing a second year service- How I dont know, the car was them about 12 times that year with various issues and, my DAD in his final months of battling Cancer dying. It was not in me to fight with them.

Mine was the car that came out of the FACTORY with a single exhaust (instead of a double), cracked windowscreen and ½ dead battery.

I did call RR about my concern for the shut down being a safety issue. Uninterested in that they just stated they they needed to do there own diagnostic first at £180. per hour.

Hi Mudi1,

Thank you for your post.

Please accept my apologies for your experience.

If I can assist in any way, please DM me with your contact, vehicle and retailer details.

Thanks,

Chand - Land Rover UK

Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.
14-11-2018 01:58pm