Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Factory Quality Problem
paulus599

RE: Factory Quality Problem

(17-09-2011 05:11pm)Jonathon555 Wrote:  I realy don't know , just when you see how cars are made stuff arrives at the production line on a "just in time basis"

If the wrong item arrives the wrong item gets fitted

My cousin ordered a new Audi A4 quattro 3 years ago, what he got delivered was a front wheel drive one. It had quattro badges on & everything.

It either was a production mistake or the dealer was pulling a fast one.

Yes, I do understand that. And I can see that if there are several options then, concievably, it would be possible to fit the wrong part. What I don't believe though is that if no part was supplied, then the cars would just be allowed to roll down the production line. I also can't see how it would not be possible to retro fit the camera once the omission had been picked up, that's like saying if the camera ever developed a fault then it would be impossible to repair/replace it - very, very odd.

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
Now: Evoque SD4 Coupe
Gone: TTS Roadster
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Mercedes SLK
(This post was last modified: 17-09-2011 06:18pm by paulus599.)
17-09-2011 05:46pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bennno

(17-09-2011 04:31pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  When cars get toward the end of the production line at Solihull there is a special computer plugged into the car that tests every electronic system fitted that it is working properly. I would be very surprised if Halewood doesn't have a similar set-up. A missing reversing cam should have triggered a warning that there is no connectivity between cam and screen which should have caused the cars affected to be pulled off the line for further QC checks. Then there is the supposed "extended" QC check of all cars rolling off the line for the first few months production to make doubly sure that all is right. It is very hard to believe that cars managed to get passed TWO QC checks and an electronic connectivity check without being returned to the finishing station. Also it doesn't say a lot for the dealership PDI system if it wasn't picked up then - so that's 3 checks. I wonder if they might have been stolen when the cars have been in storage or transit from the central distribution centre.

The camera hasn't been stolen, its a factory cock up and I have seen the LR emails to the dealer to confirm it.

So whatever QC checks were in place did not identify this. Nobody noticed until I had paid and was on my way to the dealer.

Pleased to see in the thread above its not just mine, please PM me if your car is similarly affected.
Update is that I have mailed the MD of JLR UK to ask him to review this and also spoken to the dealer md, if neither sorts this by 5pm Monday then I have written to reject the car.

I will be out of pocket for the insurance, transfer of private reg and closing out the finance agreement plus be without a car.

If that happens then despite the enjoyment of owning a RRS from nearly new, which had turned me in to a brand convert, leading to the purchase of the RRE I won't ever touch the brand again.

I had read so much about the state of the art factory that its a major disappointment after months of waiting.
(This post was last modified: 17-09-2011 05:58pm by bennno.)
17-09-2011 05:52pm
ant

Surely there is a way to retrofit a missing camera and some wiring? Even if the car has to go back to the factory and be partially "unbuilt" and then rebuilt, surely LR should be thinking of doing that instead of offering a small amount of money as compensation.
I find it unacceptable, just as others do on here.
Haven't heard whether mine is affected yet, and I haven't decided what to do if it is - whether to accept the car (as I've waited so long) or reject it (and wait another 6 months for a properly built one).
My sympathies go out to anyone affected by this. I hope you can get resolution from LR and the dealer.
ANT

Prestige, 5 dr, SD4 Auto, Firenze, Lux, Ambience, Adaptive Dynamics, (+other options).
Current cars: Evoque: 1972 Stag: 2008 C4 Grand Picasso x 2: 2004 Defender 110: LDV flatbed (for moving the Stag)
Gone: Aston Martin DB9Crying, RRS, FFRR x 5, Classic Minis x loads, 1987 Defender 110.
17-09-2011 06:59pm
Evoqess

(17-09-2011 05:25pm)mark_n Wrote:  I would be incandescent with rage if that happened to me.

Having been on many forums over the years (irritated by poor grammar/spelling), may I must applaud you for your wonderful use of the English language. Smile
Now back to the topic at hand....

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
17-09-2011 08:00pm
brommy

(17-09-2011 01:21pm)brommy Wrote:  This thread explains something I spotted at a 'here + now' event last weekend!

Pride of place in the showroom was an OG SD4 auto Prestige 5 door. I had a good look around and noted the missing camera. I then asked a LR salesman where the rear camera on the car was. He went straight to tailgate and then said "Oh, they must have hidden it somewhere else on this car". Laughing

I asked where but he didn't waste too much time looking. Rolling Eyes

(17-09-2011 01:51pm)defender_uk Wrote:  dear me...where was that?
it would apply to all, but it would to an awful lot of dealers!! I do have a modicum of sympathy for the dealers, they often get run around and treated appallingly by LR as well...

LR Droitwich (Worcestershire).

It would appear that they have forgotten to put the camera on numerous Prestige models.
17-09-2011 08:07pm
mark_n

The consequential losses Bennno speaks of are significant. If the buyer rejects the car, the dealer should cover all costs and then make an ex-gratia "sorry we messed up" payment. Shambles doesn't begin to describe it.

The problem is that the end user's contract is with the dealer who is acting for LR, not LR themselves but it is in LR's interest to sort it out. After all the LR-can-do-no-wrong hype, a draft letter to Autocar/<your preferred car magazine> and copied to LR PR might wake them from their lethargy.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 17-09-2011 08:16pm by mark_n.)
17-09-2011 08:12pm
Evoqess

Yes, inexcusable - am I correct in assuming that every Evoque for the UK has a rear camera? Maybe these were some of the Canada bound vehicles where the camera is an option?

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
17-09-2011 08:15pm
bennno

(17-09-2011 08:15pm)Evoqess Wrote:  Yes, inexcusable - am I correct in assuming that every Evoque for the UK has a rear camera? Maybe these were some of the Canada bound vehicles where the camera is an option?

All Prestiege and dynamic models should have a camera fitted, but there has been a factory error and many of the initial cars rolled off the line without this being fitted or noticed.
17-09-2011 08:20pm
ytshome

(17-09-2011 08:12pm)mark_n Wrote:  The problem is that the end user's contract is with the dealer who is acting for LR, not LR themselves but it is in LR's interest to sort it out. After all the LR-can-do-no-wrong hype, a draft letter to Autocar/<your preferred car magazine> and copied to LR PR might wake them from their lethargy.

Picking up on this point, I'd think BBC WatchDog would be interested, maybe just mentioning it may help speed a replacement.

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
17-09-2011 08:24pm
mark_n

Good idea. I'm sure Anne Robinson would have a field-day.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
17-09-2011 08:31pm