Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Extra Key FOB Programming
michail1

Extra Key FOB Programming

Has anyone gone through the process of getting another key fob?

Basically, I thought I lost mine (found after a month in the garage), so I was using my spare. Worried that it was my only key, I have decided to get a spare.

Even worse, the rubber is pealing away from my spare.

I called LR to get the cost. Holy Hell.... $540 for key, blade, and programming.
My car is under warranty, so they Rubber is covered. They will replace the shell in a week.
I decided against the extra key.

So, I see people selling/buying these spare FOBs on ebay. Decided to purchase a couple (very cheap) just to consider it. Called LR back, and they claim that once a key is programmed, it can't be programmed to another vehicle. First, that sounds bogus to me, but who knows?

Programming. Contacted a few places and they claim they can try with their programmers, but can't guarentee it. They charge from $115 to $120 (includes programming of 1 or 2 keys). They said if they can't do it, then no charge.

Second decision is to try them or simply buy a key programmer - Not cheap. In worse case, I could resell it after success or failure. Smile
25-07-2015 06:59am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michail1

RE: Extra Key FOB Programming

Decided to buy the programmer. Received it in only a few days.

Well, Fail on ebay purchase. The keys were 434Mhz which I found out is for Europe. Ummm, didn't think someone in the USA would be selling European FOBs. Fortunately, the guy was kewl and accepted a return. I only ate shipping back to him. (Figured ths out when I couldn't get them to program/work with my car.)

Then, I purchased several of the correct keys. Got them yesterday. Took minutes and now have 3 working keys and 2 more to, ummm, sell?

So, now I can add or delete keys. (Great if you lose a key and don't want to worry about someone finding it (and later come to take a nice car at any time).)

If you're close to Seattle and need a key fob (or programming), give me a call. Smile
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2015 09:48pm by michail1.)
12-08-2015 09:37pm
michail1

K. Posted on craigslist and run into several people.

So, have programmed 4 keys/remotes. (3 range rover (1 of them being evoque) and 1 for a Jag).

Less that I thought I would, but if a key from the Dealer is $500+ with programming, people are careful not to lose them. Smile

Sorry, I haven't taken any video or the process (as someone in here asked me), but maybe on the next remote.
11-09-2015 09:04pm
mark_n

(11-09-2015 09:04pm)michail1 Wrote:  K. Posted on craigslist and run into several people.

So, have programmed 4 keys/remotes. (3 range rover (1 of them being evoque) and 1 for a Jag).

Less that I thought I would, but if a key from the Dealer is $500+ with programming, people are careful not to lose them. Smile

Sorry, I haven't taken any video or the process (as someone in here asked me), but maybe on the next remote.

How much does the key programmer cost?

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
12-09-2015 05:30am
michail1

(12-09-2015 05:30am)mark_n Wrote:  How much does the key programmer cost?

Sorry for the delay. I didn't get notification that anyone posted.

I have since done several more RR's in the area (and Toyotas (even a Taxi (prius)).

The programmer costs $800, but you can find cheaper ones. I simply wanted to be able to do any Immobilizer system.
08-10-2015 07:24pm
donot521

I lost one of my for and definitely would like to get a spare one just in case

Do you mind share your process? How much total did you spend for a spare and how to program.

Thanks
13-10-2015 12:04am
michail1

(13-10-2015 12:04am)donot521 Wrote:  I lost one of my for and definitely would like to get a spare one just in case

Do you mind share your process? How much total did you spend for a spare and how to program.

Thanks

Well, I spent more money going my own route than having the dealer do it; however, I have a programmer now and have done remotes for other people. So, eventually, my key fob / remote will be free.

Basically, you just need a FOB and a programmer. Takes about 5 mins.

The FOB can be had on ebay for about $50, but be careful. You get get new ones for about 80-90. Then, the programmer is about 600-1000. Just depends on what you want.
14-10-2015 05:39am