Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evoques going skiing?
Token

Evoques going skiing?

Is anyone planning to drive their Evoque to the Alps this winter? I'm flying over but would like to drive next year so interested to know how people get on.

P.s. my RRE is still awaiting repair after Doris bumped into it...have a Disco as a hire car which I hated at first, feels very cheap for a £50k car..,but after an off-road venture, a few tip runs, and three trips carrying 6 passengers, I am in love with it! Still prefer the Evoque but thinking I need to add a Disco to the family!!

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
28-12-2011 10:02am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ajmooseman

RE: Evoques going skiing?

No taking mine, head off to the US on 5th Jan Very Happy

Your right about the disco though, great team bus! TBH I cant see my wife having any thing other than a Disco until the kids fly the nest, youngest is nearly 5, so a while yet.

Disclaimer: FAO of Mark_n and others it may concern
While all efforts will be made to delivery statements in English. I can only apologize for any spelling or grammar mistakes made while posting my thoughts and opinions. If any post featuring such mistakes should offend, then tough SH*T!
28-12-2011 10:14am
wilsonmg

I took the Disco3 a number of times to the Alps, and it was fantastic. The RRE will be taking up the mantle of Ski bus for 2013 (should have been this year but delivery date has been postponed !!!)
28-12-2011 10:56am
rsk21

Surprised you think the Disco is cheap feeling - D3 or D4 ?

Mrs RSK's D4 wil be doing the run to Morzine this year with skis on top and family all tucked up inside.

My RRE probably won't ever go that far once it turns up later in the year.
28-12-2011 03:52pm
woodhouse

Just got back from a Xmas ski trip to Austria in the Evoque- Ferry from Hull to Rotterdam then a 10hr drive to Obergurgl in Austria with wife an 4 yr old. We normally fly but always fancied giving driving a go and the new car seemed like the perfect excuse. Was not sure how it would be but the Evoque was a dream to drive and once on the autobahn we hardly dropped below 100mph and that seem positively snails pace to some of the Germans flying past in the BMs and Mercs. Did the outward drive in one go getting off the ferry at 8am and getting to the resort around 6pm with just a stop for fuel and coffee. On the way back stayed overnight in Cologne total door to door mileage was 1340. Only slight hickup at the start in Rotterdam when TMS suggested new route due to traffic problem, I accepted new route which seemed to take us way south maybe adding 80 miles to route but may be we we could have been stuck in a jam for two hours will never know. Fitted snow tyres and got rigged with chains etc but only encounterd one steep snow covered road 20m from the hotel which hill decent coped with a treat. Would consider driving again,it is great to be able to not have to worry about bag limits and ski carriage charges and when you think about all the time travelling and waiting about at the airport there is not that much in it. Cost wise if you take off the cost of the winter tyres etc there is again not much in it, got around 36 mpg - not bad considering the speed we were doing most of the time.
29-12-2011 03:58pm
Daigriff

That's good going woodhouse. I've been to Solden...great skiing there.
Was thinking of driving myself at end of march but with added price of winter Tyres and snow chains and roof ski rack worried it might not be worthwhile.
Aren't winter Tyres and snow chains compulsory in the Alps.

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
29-12-2011 05:14pm
KMW

Currently in Les Gets France with the New Love and it drove like a dream. Fresh snow this morning and it performed perfectly, No winter tyres and no chains required although heavy snow tomorrow so will give it a test but not worried!
Loving it!Very Happy

Prestige 5 door auto sd4, sumatra, pano roof, style 6 wheels, privacy glass
29-12-2011 09:13pm
woodhouse

(29-12-2011 05:14pm)Daigriff Wrote:  That's good going woodhouse. I've been to Solden...great skiing there.
Was thinking of driving myself at end of march but with added price of winter Tyres and snow chains and roof ski rack worried it might not be worthwhile.
Aren't winter Tyres and snow chains compulsory in the Alps.

Yes you have to have winter tyres with the M+S logo in Austria I think the 19" standard tyres on the evoque are M+S but mine had 20" which were not. I picked a set of FL2 17" wheels up off ebay for not a lot and got some half decent winter tyres foir £100 each, chains were £45 then all the other bits needed for Europe that come standard on most cars (warning triangle, hi vis vests first aid kit and spare bulb kit etc) so around £700 to kit out but I will leave the winter wheels on till spring and I now have all the kit for next time. Did not use roof rack as skis fitted in with one back seet down just poking through on to center console.
29-12-2011 09:19pm