Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ZF Recalling 505,000 Nine-Speed Transmissions
Sarcastrix

ZF Recalling 505,000 Nine-Speed Transmissions

This latest ZF recall revolves around the possibility of the gearbox unexpectedly shifting into neutral, caused by an improper crimp used on the transmission's wiring harness. To resolve the problem, ZF has announced that it will roll out a software update to all of the half a million affected vehicles (in the USA). If you live in Europe - I guess it will GFY Evil

The recall affects 2014 and 2015 models of the Chrysler 200, Fiat 500X, some Honda Pilot variants, the Jeep Cherokee and Renegade, Land Rover Discovery Sport, Range Rover Evoque, V6 Acura TLX and Ram ProMaster city.

This particular transmission is used by numerous models and a plethora of automakers but the current recall only relates to vehicles from Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

It remains to be seen if any other recalls could be on the horizon. Confused

Interestingly, an identical issue with ZF's 8-speed automatic led FCA to recall over 1.1 million vehicles earlier this year (http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Nine-spee...x-recall). This fault is thought to have caused the death of actor Anton Yelchin.

NHTSA says 10 injuries have been reported as a result of transmission issues.

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 07:32am by Sarcastrix.)
10-08-2016 07:30am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ghotson

RE: ZF Recalling 505,000 Nine-Speed Transmissions

I had exactly this happen to me 3 weeks ago with a dealer loan MY16 Evoque - was on a carpark ramp, came to stop with car in front momentarily (with start / stop engaging) - and when the car in front of me was just pulling away - I took my foot off the brake to accelerate - and instead I was suddenly rolling backwards(!!). Being in neutral, hill hold didn't engage as it normally would either. No question it dropped out of gear, had to take it back to Park and re-engage Drive.

Disorientating and startling - lucky there was no car behind me at the time.

MY13 SD4 Dynamic | 5dr | Auto | Firenze Red | Black contrast pano roof | 20” Style 5 wheels | Plus Pack (Velocity) | Adaptive Dynamics | Tech Pack | Convenience Pack | Sat nav | 825w Meridian | Gloss strata trim | Privacy glass | A/V pack with dual view
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 12:50pm by Ghotson.)
10-08-2016 12:48pm
Dragonfly47

RE: ZF Recalling 505,000 Nine-Speed Transmissions

No worries:

Quote:A software flash will either prevent the transmission from shifting or warn the driver before the shift into neutral occurs.

Laughing

2015 De-Decaled Evoque Union SW1 Dynamic Special Edition (one of 125 in the US)- Firenze Red - White Pano Roof - 360 surround camera - parking assist - etc. etc.
10-08-2016 09:26pm