Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evoque roof boxes
Evoqueen

RE: Evoque roof boxes

I have the Range Rover kit for the luggage box and I cannot get the cross bars off. If anyone can help me understand it would be, greatly, appreciated. The key goes in but will not turn and I don't want to damage any of it by trying to hard, the wrong way.

2016 Evoque HSE Dynamic, Santorini Black with Cirrus Grey interior, coated in Ceramic Pro 9H Very Happy
30-03-2015 02:49pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Evoqueen, have your roof bars been on the car a long time? You may need to squirt a bit of aerosol penetrating oil onto them and leave overnight with some absorbent rag wrapped over the screw end to stop any oil dripping onto the car's paintwork.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
30-03-2015 08:30pm
Evoqueen

Thanks for helping. They are new and newly installed. The keys I received worked on the luggage box. I think my bars need a different key that wasn't given to me at delivery.

2016 Evoque HSE Dynamic, Santorini Black with Cirrus Grey interior, coated in Ceramic Pro 9H Very Happy
30-03-2015 08:56pm
ChuckieB

(30-03-2015 08:56pm)Evoqueen Wrote:  Thanks for helping. They are new and newly installed. The keys I received worked on the luggage box. I think my bars need a different key that wasn't given to me at delivery.

Ther should be a 3 digit key no on the barrel which you can check.

I have 2 sets of roof bars ( both RR and thule) 2 sets of bike carriers ( 2 pairs different makes sourced at different times) and a roof box. That's 5 different key combos I didn't try to match . Doh!

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
30-03-2015 11:37pm
XFullFatTim

Ah I realise what you are talking about Evoqueen - to remove the crossbars you need a different key to the roof box and a torx wrench (sort of star shaped head) that should have been supplied with the cross bars - usually it is stored in a pouch on the side of the storage bag for the crossbars. I will look out mine and photograph it. The crossbars don't lock with a conventional key, it is more like an Allen Wrench, the end caps require a standard key to remove the trim cover.

OK camera has been found!

You should have received a folded nylon carrier for storing the roof bars (it may be in the spare wheel well inside your car). This is mine with the bars inside it:
[Image: image.jpg1_zpsyqkbadjd.jpg]

[Image: image.jpg9_zpsymjpm9am.jpg]

On the side of the carrier is a pouch like this
[Image: image.jpg2_zpsedkog8wn.jpg]

The Torx wrench and tensioning device is the piece of kit on the right of the trim piece
[Image: image.jpg1_zpsxbl3yqzc.jpg]

Inside the pouch SHOULD be a strange looking plastic tool (this is the torx wrench for locking the bars to the rails), keys to the crossbar end caps (conventional keys) - the black capped key on my keyring is the roof box key
[Image: image.jpg3_zpslx8ut912.jpg]

Use the conventional key to open the end cap/ trim
[Image: image.jpg5_zpshl8vw2k9.jpg]

Remove the end cap and inside is this
[Image: image.jpg7_zpsw9wkhp2p.jpg]

The "star" shaped torx wrench locates in the hole for it shown in the bottom of the fitting, it may be very hard to open but you need to undo it to open the clamp around the roof rails

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 31-03-2015 10:34am by XFullFatTim.)
31-03-2015 09:48am
Evoqueen

XFullFatTim, thank you! The key was inside the bag and I'm taking the bars off now! You are SO helpful. Thanks.

31-03-2015 01:34pm
XFullFatTim

Pleasure, it's what forums are for.

31-03-2015 01:49pm