Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evoque rattle on start up
COMMANDO1954

Evoque rattle on start up

My 2011 Prestige 2.2 sd4(22000 fsh), sometimes makes a strange noise on start up from cold.Looking through the forums the problem points to water coming through the bonnet vent and going on to the alternator belts. Looking at mine the vent is close to the left inner wing and not near the alternator.One guy online said it was an exhaust shield rattle.Has anyone else found a definitive cure for this problem.It only happens for a few seconds.Does it affect newer Evoques?
(This post was last modified: 16-11-2016 12:29pm by COMMANDO1954.)
16-11-2016 12:15pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Evoque rattle on start up

Hi Commando

Is it a squeal or a knocking or a ticking, does it disappear with Revs and come back with Idle? Is it only on very cold or every morning? Is there any vibration with the noise. Is it only on very wet mornings, or do you park over very wet ground?

On very very cold mornings, mine makes what I can only describe as a Squealy Banging on Idle, which disappears if I apply some Revs, and may come back when it returns to Idle. Seems to be related to Dampness too. It's always gone after a few Revs enough for the engine to have generated a little heat, only had it say 3 times in 5 years, so while alarming when it does it, I think it's just a feature of this diesel engine when very cold.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
16-11-2016 01:49pm
COMMANDO1954

Only did it a couple of times and yes it was very wet weather.It sounded like a vibration/rattle from the engine for a few seconds then stopped.Parked the car in a more sheltered position and taped up the bonnet vent.Despite heavy rain the last few days it has not done it again.Anyone else noticed This?
16-11-2016 05:45pm
PhilSkill

See this thread if you haven't found it already

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Bonnet-Ve...ight=vents

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
16-11-2016 06:02pm
CH11PY_H

Ive also had this rattle once this week but never noticed if it was wet or not. I turned the car off and back on again and it had gone. I do have bonnet vents.
Will make note next time.
16-11-2016 07:36pm