Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Thinking of ordering, need some advice please
Jk01

Thinking of ordering, need some advice please

Hello
I am a new member and thinking of ordering an evoque as my company car.
I know some of my questions are in other threads but would still like some advice, especially if anyone has a fair few miles on now and economy has settled down etc.
My thought is a td4 pure manual with glass roof, camera, smoked glass and lumbar support

I have 3 kids, one in a seat, one teenager and one approaching teenageism.
Does anyone use it as a family car ? Mostly on my own but sometimes we may use it at weekends instead of the wife's car.
As I am paid per mile for business miles... Approx 20k miles per year I need to average 36 ish mpg
I am quite a steady driver and my main commute is around 90 miles (76 of that is motorway), weekends would be shortish runs.
I live in a hilly area and generally always have a 4x4 as a second car as when it snows or icy it is bad. The evoque is now available to me so could be a chance to kill 2 birds with one stone as it were.
I test drove the sd4 for a few days which was a nice drive but can't for the life remember the economy I got.
My main likes were the quality of stereo, smooth, quiet, stylish and all as standard.
Only think I did notice (if you have a wideish rear) is the seats come up at the sides which I guess mat soften ?

Anyone any advice for me or maybe a similar situation ?

Appreciate you reading my ramblings Very Happy
21-05-2012 08:56pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BTS18

RE: Thinking of ordering, need some advice please

I have only averaged 35mph over the first thousand miles in my SD4 auto, I hope it will improve but it looks close enough to the mileage you require if you really like the RRE. If fuel economy is your main concern you may need to look elsewhere.

I haven't had three kids in the back but I have had 2 adult passengers with room to spare.

Hope this helps.

5dr Prestige SD4 Auto, Style 5 Wheels, Orkney Grey, Element Interior, Cirrus Headliner, Lux pk, Privacy Glass, Heated Steering Wheel, Spare Wheel.

Ordered: 07/02/12. Build Date: 21/04/12. Delivered: 27/04/12
21-05-2012 09:52pm
PhilSkill

Sounds like the TD4 would do you, Driving steadily I regularly get 38mpg now from my SD4, although the motorway is not best for that mpg. If you need a 4x4 and reasonable economy, great looks but higher than average service costs etc then its ace, you'll get 3 in the back ok, not ideal but ok occassionally, but there are cheaper options (volvo xc60, yeti, sportage) if you want more space and cheaper costs. But sacrifice that something special that the Evoque is!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
21-05-2012 11:35pm
BFGEvoqueMan

(21-05-2012 08:56pm)Jk01 Wrote:  Hello
I am a new member and thinking of ordering an evoque as my company car.
I know some of my questions are in other threads but would still like some advice, especially if anyone has a fair few miles on now and economy has settled down etc.
My thought is a td4 pure manual with glass roof, camera, smoked glass and lumbar support

I have 3 kids, one in a seat, one teenager and one approaching teenageism.
Does anyone use it as a family car ? Mostly on my own but sometimes we may use it at weekends instead of the wife's car.
As I am paid per mile for business miles... Approx 20k miles per year I need to average 36 ish mpg
I am quite a steady driver and my main commute is around 90 miles (76 of that is motorway), weekends would be shortish runs.
I live in a hilly area and generally always have a 4x4 as a second car as when it snows or icy it is bad. The evoque is now available to me so could be a chance to kill 2 birds with one stone as it were.
I test drove the sd4 for a few days which was a nice drive but can't for the life remember the economy I got.
My main likes were the quality of stereo, smooth, quiet, stylish and all as standard.
Only think I did notice (if you have a wideish rear) is the seats come up at the sides which I guess mat soften ?

Anyone any advice for me or maybe a similar situation ?

Appreciate you reading my ramblings Very Happy

I am 6' 3" and when my seat is right back no one will be sitting behind me. When we use the car 4 adults up with the little man in the booster seat in the middle it is tight. Economy: in reality and drving gently I cannot better 40 mpg, even when in UK driving within the law (in case you think I am some kind of speed merchant my last 1.6 TDCI focus would give me 60mpg+ on similar journeys). Maybe I have a "bad" car but mine seems stuck at 35/36 mpg (or the same as my last TD4 FL2). Maybe buy an Ed4 and a set of winter tyres?

Lumbar support comes as standard. Rear camera useful but I rarely use now I am used to the car. Roof great but I haven't opened the blind in the last two weeks as it is too hot and if you do alot of miles on your own you don't realise you have a glass roof from the front seats. My advice would be to ensure you have the Tech pack as this puts the basic spec of the car where it should be (auto lights/wipers/heated windscreen etc) and you get Nav.

I think for your use you will be fine. My previous daily driver was a focus, and in many ways (apart from a smaller boot in the RRE) it is the same in terms of space and driving dynamics (unsurprising since the FL2/RRE are built on a modified Focus platform and it is the same length etc), just wish I could get near the 60mpg+ that my focus had (still we didn't buy our RRE for economy).

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
22-05-2012 08:14am
speary

Just remember that if you want 3 seats in the rear you need to specify this along with 3 rear headrests. This is all a no cost option. If you dont you will only legally be able to carry 2 people in the back and there will only be 2 seatbelts

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
22-05-2012 08:20am
caroline11000

Hi JK01 welcome to the forum. I have an SD4 Auto and am averaging 35mpg so far mostly on 'b' roads and I do drive quite carefully. I have sat in the back of mine with another adult and a 4 yr old in a car booster seat, the car seat did take up the whole of one side and I was in the middle! I wasn't particularly squashed but did find myself grabbing the back of the front seats round sharp bends to stop myself sliding over on the leather seats! 2 teenagers and a younger one should be fine, but 3 adults I think would be uncomfortable on a long journey unless they are all slim! I also found the centre seat a bit hard on the bum, maybe it will soften with wear!
(22-05-2012 08:20am)speary Wrote:  Just remember that if you want 3 seats in the rear you need to specify this along with 3 rear headrests. This is all a no cost option. If you dont you will only legally be able to carry 2 people in the back and there will only be 2 seatbelts

I didn't have to specify wanting 3 seats in back mine they came as standard on my Pure!

Pure 5dr SD4 Auto
Fuji, Ebony, Tech Pack, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, Front Fogs, Park Assist, Rear Camera, Power-Fold Mirrors, Xenons & Spare Wheel
Got car 9th Dec 11
REJECTED car 9th Jan 12 - paint runs down doors & seals one side, obvious bad re-spray before delivery! Big Cry
New car arrived 31st March 12 Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 22-05-2012 08:35am by caroline11000.)
22-05-2012 08:26am
BFGEvoqueMan

(22-05-2012 08:20am)speary Wrote:  Just remember that if you want 3 seats in the rear you need to specify this along with 3 rear headrests. This is all a no cost option. If you dont you will only legally be able to carry 2 people in the back and there will only be 2 seatbelts

This advice only applies to the 3 door model, 5 doors come with only 5 seats and no other options.

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
22-05-2012 12:36pm
Mobile mickey

(22-05-2012 08:14am)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  I am 6' 3" and when my seat is right back no one will be sitting behind me. When we use the car 4 adults up with the little man in the booster seat in the middle it is tight. Economy: in reality and drving gently I cannot better 40 mpg, even when in UK driving within the law (in case you think I am some kind of speed merchant my last 1.6 TDCI focus would give me 60mpg+ on similar journeys). Maybe I have a "bad" car but mine seems stuck at 35/36 mpg (or the same as my last TD4 FL2). Maybe buy an Ed4 and a set of winter tyres?

Lumbar support comes as standard. Rear camera useful but I rarely use now I am used to the car. Roof great but I haven't opened the blind in the last two weeks as it is too hot and if you do alot of miles on your own you don't realise you have a glass roof from the front seats. My advice would be to ensure you have the Tech pack as this puts the basic spec of the car where it should be (auto lights/wipers/heated windscreen etc) and you get Nav.
I think for your use you will be fine. My previous daily driver was a focus, and in many ways (apart from a smaller boot in the RRE) it is the same in terms of space and driving dynamics (unsurprising since the FL2/RRE are built on a modified Focus platform and it is the same length etc), just wish I could get near the 60mpg+ that my focus had (still we didn't buy our RRE for economy).

I recommend having the seat as high as possible, you get a better driving position, more room behind you, better vision through both front and rear windows and it's comfiest to drive. Set your seat to lower on exit and you have headroom to get out easily( I am 6 foot). Presuming you have height adjustable seats!

Ed4 Prestige, lux pack, blind spot monitors, adaptive xenons, cameras, auto-parking etc in colima lime.
22-05-2012 08:37pm
rchrdleigh

I'm 6' 2" and happily sat in the back of a 5 door behind a 6'2" driver during an off road drive. A TD4 manual should give you over 40 mpg on a mix of A and B roads and more [/align]on motorways providing you don't hammer it. Mpg will improve as the engine beds in, my Freelander 2 TD4 manual on a motorway run at 65 will return 42 mpg or better and the Evoque should better that.
22-05-2012 08:50pm