Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evoque Vs Mercedes C Class (W205)
PhilSkill

Evoque Vs Mercedes C Class (W205)

Picked up my new Mercedes C Class Estate 2015 Model, AMG Line BlueTec Premium Plus. Remembering this is a different type of car but not far off the same price level.

Thought I'd give a few comparisons to my 3 1/2 year old Evoque, which I still have of course!.

Merc : Diesel 2.1 Auto AMG Line
EVO : Diesel 2.2 Manual Dynamic Magneride

It's a new design for Merc so you expect improved tech and refinement over the very initial Evoque I have. But the MY16 Evoque really needs to be comparable.

Styling
Mercedes have improved their design with their new range, and it's a slick car, hasn't the uniqueness of the Evoque though.

Opening Panoramic roof with Blinds, similar solid section above windscreen, painted black.

Driveability
This it a superbly smooth car, it soaks up the pot holes and speed humps with elegance and silence, the Evoques short Wheelbase make it a bit more bouncy over speed humps with the odd creak.

Very little lag/delay pulling away, although in ECO and Comfort modes it sometimes hesitates with turbo lag.

It comes with 4 modes that change Throttle response, suspension, Auto Box Characteristics, and reduces Energy using devices for more power.

Build Quality
The Interior is a very nice place to be and everything feels just that bit better quality and better put together. it's would be beautifully quiet, far in excess of the Evoque, except it's let down by a very annoying Rattle in the Dash!

Seats
Unusual leg support adjustment, all electric with memory both sides, but the Evoque seats are more comfortable to me!

Fuel Economy
Brand new engine and already driven normally returns 40mpg, carefully returns 50mpg, and I expect higher as it runs in! It has BlueTec which means every 15000miles or so you have to add AdBlue, there are 2 filling holes under the fuel cover one for deisel, one for AdBlue.

Engine
Its feels extreemly powerful compared to the Evoque and way smoother, it's a very nice diesel engine. It has Sport Plus which makes it very fast and reduces the power sucking devices like Air-Con.

Start-Stop
The system works for one, and tells you when it's not ready to stop the engine. it starts much more smoothly and has re-started before your foot can leave the brake pedal to get on throttle.

Tailgate
Electric tailgate has wave your foot to Open...and Close! And has a "Close and Lock", or "Close" button. Or you can use a door switch or the keyfob, although it's a press and hold for a second to activate.
Note: I make an Evoque Auto Close Module, so you can buy an Auto Close Evoque Module from me!

In car entertainment
2 USB you can choose between, 250GB Hard drive works seamlessly, (not in my Evoque), the rather odd iPad looking screen on the dash has a very nice interface, with Scroll wheel, touch pad and touch screen. Baumeister stereo packs some punch and just beats the Evoque 380W system.

Media player stays running when you switch off the car, until you open the door.

Tech
Endless graphics and flashy displays, although finding settings can be quite a chore. Manual in car (cant read while moving)
Limiter and cruise on a single stalk, easy to knock instead of indicators.
Touchpad build into console allows you to write letter and numbers.
Voice activation as per Evoque
Driving too close for speed indication warning.
Speed sign Recognition (not on my Evoque), but this blanks the whole screen continually for every speed sign.
You can sync the Left and Right Heating controls!

Nav
Very good system, far superior graphics, better traffic displays, although I like the simplicity of the Evoques Graphics for use while driving!

Connection
I can also find the car with my Phone and even unlock it, and tell what the service mileage is, Tyre Pressures are, and if any items need servicing like brakes etc...etc

Niggles
The Dash Rattle... big let down
Engine restarts from ECO when you put it in park just before you get out.
Seats not overly comfortable at the moment.
Footwell is encroached by the wide centre console just hindering my left foot position.
There is a Km/h display that cannot be removed on the centre screen! (Because there is No Km.h axis on the speedo)
Indicators, Lights and Wipers all on 1 stick make it quite busy.
No ability to turn off auto lights, you can have parking lights, side lights, auto lights, lights on.

Overall a lovely car, but doesn't have that special Evoque feeling... lets see how reliability fairs.

I'll add more as I get to know it better...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 24-07-2015 12:32pm by PhilSkill.)
23-07-2015 09:48pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ceebee

Re: Evoque Vs Mercedes C Class (W205)

Great comparison! Looks very nice indeed!

Waiting for: - 2015 SD4 Dynamic, LUX pack, Auto, 5 door. Mauritius Blue. Santorini Roof........spare wheel.
23-07-2015 10:14pm
PhilSkill

RE: Evoque Vs Mercedes C Class (W205)

Thanks ceebee, it is a lovely drive.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
24-07-2015 12:12pm
recordman

Lovely colour. Thanks very much for the review.

Interesting about the inability to turn off auto lights. What happens if you drive in the dark with the switch in side light position? (Not suggesting you should!). Hopefully the dash will settle down and the rattle will remove itself.

2013 SD4 Prestige auto/5dr/OG/Fuji pano roof
24-07-2015 12:29pm
PhilSkill

Some Updates

Giving it the first wash I noticed BOTH windscreen wipers cannot be lifted without Damaging the bonnet edge, and there is no Wiper Service mode, you are advised in the manual to switch off while the wipers are moving!

Washing the car triggers the lock/unlock constantly if you have the keys in your pocket! Guess that's the same as the Evoque.

Tailgate nearly closed on me while loading some heavy items in the boot, must have triggered the under car foot sensor, lucky it beeps before lowering!

Oh and the Dash rattle seems to have cured itself... Very Happy

So far real MPG 38mpg, system tells me 41.7mpg... but only on a sample of 1 so far, range supposedly near 600miles, filled up diesel for 107.9p, 5p cheaper than Petrol Cool

I keep forgetting how low this car is compared to the Evoque... speed bumps can easily get hit by the long rear overhang!

13-08-2015 02:17pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

My RRS has ventilation sychning so I expect it will appear in the facelifted Evoque, I still don't see the point of it though..... I really would like to know why LR refuses to have a shade of blue like your Merc's Phill, it is a lovely colour. They used to have a similar one in the options but the only bright metallic blue today is the Estoril Blue that is offered only on the RRS SVR

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 18-08-2015 11:38pm by XFullFatTim.)
18-08-2015 11:35pm
PhilSkill

Thanks Tim, yes if they had done an Evoque in this colour i'd have bought it immediately. I love the White Evoque which really suits it, but this is my colour of choice. Seems they've saved it only for the top end SVR like Mark_n got.

19-08-2015 11:12am